Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? #234748 03/06/15 12:45 AM
R
rccokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Every year at almost every weight there is speculation as to who is the best wrestler. For years this state has been deprived of a "Grand State" type of wrestling tournament to see who the baddest dude at each weight class is. That time has finally ended with the new KANSAS THROWDOWN.

Wrestlers- Unless you are injured or have decided to take a break to focus on either a spring sport or Freestyle and Greco then you have no excuse to not participate. You don't need rest. Honestly, what is one more weekend of competition going to hurt? Don't be afraid to compete. If you want to be the best then you have to beat the best, and you can believe that the best will be wrestling this Sunday at the Topeka Expo. Put your money where your mouth is and wrestle.

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: rccokeley] #234749 03/06/15 12:55 AM
B
Bob Miller Offline
B
Cameron would have been there, but tore his MCL at state:( Good luck luck to everyone it's an aweosme idea!

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Bob Miller] #234776 03/06/15 03:48 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
Sorry Ryne, focusing on Freestyle and Greco is not an excuse. Most that are worth their weight in gold will be at either flonationals, folkstyle nationals or virginia beach. These are the best kids in the country and they are not taking time off from folkstyle to focus on freestyle. My point being, show up guys, talk is cheap, show who the top dog is. If you are a parent that doesn't like chief's all class rankings, show up and prove why you should be higher.

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Travis Phippen] #234798 03/07/15 01:55 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Promote earlier, and make it more centrally located. Why does Topeka get all the hype?

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Spexy] #234799 03/07/15 02:05 AM
JCook Offline
Worked out a deal with the arena after NAIA Nationnals
Next year it will be held in a central locations.

James Cook
Smoky Valley
785-212-0605
Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: JCook] #234800 03/07/15 02:13 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Cool. Just think putting in Topeka, puts a burden, on some. Can't make everyone happy, I get that. IMOP, Salina or Wichita, would be centrally located. Might get more at either venue. And start it EARLY, numbers might go up. And use it for Rocky Mountain, instead of all class rankings. Just my thoughts.

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Spexy] #234804 03/07/15 03:30 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
After KSHSAA State - high school guys signed up with clubs to practice either folkstyle or begin freestyle/greco. Those clubs had Western Kansas Classic or Wichita Classic on their schedules at the beginning of the club year/season. Some of the high school guys are already getting ready for the Kansas Kids State Series which has a high school division for state at the end of the month. The half a dozen or more of the high school kids that we have been working with have gain a few pounds (more than a few) since state. A couple of the HS coaches I talked to whose teams placed very high said their kids wanted a little time off and did not want to cut weight again this week. The location, week after HS state, timing of being on the same weekend with the Wichita Classic and Western Kansas Classic - both established tournaments in the state have played a role in numbers being disbursed around the state, KC Metro Classic is Tuesday for kids in this area, I am just giving the organizers feedback on what I have heard.

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: smokeycabin] #234805 03/07/15 03:41 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Oh and I did see a few other HS young men at NAIA Nationals and I asked if they were doing the Throwdown. These HS wrestlers had outstanding HS seasons in their respective HS class 6A, 5A, 4A, etc., who are gearing up for Virginia Beach or USA Wrestling Nationals, among these wrestlers I talked to their were State Champions and state placers - FYI - just what I heard from their mouths (the kids) and not the parents. some of them were at the NAIA nationals helping volunteer, some were just there to watch, etc.,

Last edited by smokeycabin; 03/07/15 03:42 AM.
Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: smokeycabin] #234811 03/07/15 01:32 PM
in it to win it Offline
I admire that many of the 14u HS qualifiers are wrestling 14 u rather than HS which has fewer #'s(just observation @ Wichita Classic).
Seriously though if your a SQ in HS why don't you step up your game since HS #'s are shallow due to various reasons.

In it to win it.
Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: in it to win it] #234826 03/08/15 01:40 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
Seeding meetings where also this sunday.That may have made some difference also.

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: CWB] #234865 03/09/15 04:15 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
How about a "SHOW UP" Sunday and give 5 lbs to any state qualifier on the Sunday following the State Tournament. Then instead of a traditional bracket, do a Fargo or Black Mark type of tournament (similar to Fargo but it is point based to eliminate you from competition).

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: rccokeley] #235024 03/11/15 09:49 PM
M
Michelle V. Offline
M
Just an observation... Perhaps there is a better way to publicize the event. A flier at HS State with a list of upcoming postseason events, open rooms, Greco and Freestyle opportunities for instance? You could possibly buy an ad in the state program book even. Also, I think that the USAWKS most likely has a membership list that includes member emails. A mass email a couple weeks before HS State with a couple of follow ups might be helpful. It's basic marketing. Your target audience might need a nudge or a reminder, especially after the excitement and chaos that is HS State Wrestling. There are many people who do not follow the forum for various reasons...

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Michelle V.] #235056 03/12/15 08:45 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Michelle V.
Just an observation... Perhaps there is a better way to publicize the event. A flier at HS State with a list of upcoming postseason events, open rooms, Greco and Freestyle opportunities for instance? You could possibly buy an ad in the state program book even. Also, I think that the USAWKS most likely has a membership list that includes member emails. A mass email a couple weeks before HS State with a couple of follow ups might be helpful. It's basic marketing. Your target audience might need a nudge or a reminder, especially after the excitement and chaos that is HS State Wrestling. There are many people who do not follow the forum for various reasons...
Mass email and packets of information were made and distributed the weekend of HS regionals. The program might be a good idea as well. In no way would we rely on the FORUM as the only means to "get the word out".

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: Cokeley] #235077 03/13/15 07:44 PM
T
tkiser Offline
T
Beating a dead horse.

Has KSHSAA ever tried to look at an open state tournament?
Could we as a state consider a state classification team tournament and an individual open?

I am game to watch a tournament that includes any and all who show up to toe the line.

This is just a question or two, but I'm putting on my flak jacket just in case. smile

Re: Are YOU the best high school wrestler in Kansas? [Re: tkiser] #235107 03/14/15 09:37 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
KSHSAA 2 Classifications or 1 would solve the problem. If it added a day at the State Tournament it would still be less money going out for KSHSAA - 8 or 16 regionals, 4 sectionals, state (8 or 16 man brackets). Just a thought - Name Team Regional Champions, Team Sectional Champions and State Champions.
Invite the top 2 Teams Placing at each Sectional Championship for an overall 8 Dual State Team Championship 1 week after the Individual Tournament.

There is the option to sign up for the high school division still this week of USA Wrestling Kansas Kids State

Last edited by smokeycabin; 03/14/15 08:21 PM.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)