Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kansas Throw Down Cancelled [Re: Aaron Haselwood] #234917 03/09/15 11:13 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Aaron Haselwood
Here is my frustration with this. Personally, I thought it was a great idea and I promoted it heavily with my wrestlers and their parents at the state tournament. I talked with all of them and encouraged them all to join. In the end I had two state qualifiers register and one female register.

I heard multiple coaches and athletes say that they were waiting to see who all signed up - thats frustrating. I also heard "well there was low numbers so we went elsewhere" - thats also frustrating because of course there will be low numbers if you decide not to sign up. Somebody has to step up and register for the numbers to grow. Those are my frustrations from a coaching standpoint that helps me understand the frustrations from those that are putting the tournament together.

However, I was also frustrated to learn at 10 am on Saturday morning that the tournament had been canceled. The two state qualifiers that had registered were already in Topeka and were arriving at the Expocenter when they got the news. So they drove two hours only to find out that the tournament had been canceled. Sure, that got them to the NAIA Nationals and they stuck around for all of the placement matches, but it was not fair to have them come two hours and then not get to wrestle. The female wrestler that I had signed up, had not yet left Fredonia, but she had not signed up for the Park City-Wichita Classic because of this tournament.

In the end I had three wrestlers that were planning on wrestling Sunday in Topeka. All three of those declined wrestling in Park City on Saturday. So they missed out on a weekend of competition altogether because the Throw Down was lacking 29 wrestlers - which it was my understanding that registration was going to be left open until Sunday morning, I would assume that there would have been some show up at the door... VERY frustrating from a coaching point of view when three wrestlers miss out on a weekend of competition. I feel like it should have been put on anyway, even if they only got one match.

For these reasons, it will be very difficult for me to promote to my wrestlers in the future.

Coach,

I am open to suggestions as to how we could have handled this any differently. Year after year I open tournaments for sign up weeks in advance of the deadline. Each year they fill in the last days. This event being on a Sunday and requiring some planned travel it was clear to us that we were not going to get 100 kids. In fact, we were getting txts, emails, and calls that kids who had signed up were NOT going to attend. Clearly we would like your support in the future so please let me know what to do to gain it.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Kansas Throw Down Cancelled [Re: Cokeley] #234928 03/10/15 01:41 AM
J
jamesrenfro Offline
J
Easy Will, I was just repeating a message that was told to me by a pretty good source from the Expo Staff. I wish you nothing but the best of luck when starting these new endeavors. I am am innovator as well. Note the new dual down at NEO. Come on down and watch the action. Pretty sure there won't be a post on here tomorrow canceling.

TCOB
Re: Kansas Throw Down Cancelled [Re: jamesrenfro] #234935 03/10/15 05:57 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: jamesrenfro
Easy Will, I was just repeating a message that was told to me by a pretty good source from the Expo Staff. I wish you nothing but the best of luck when starting these new endeavors. I am am innovator as well. Note the new dual down at NEO. Come on down and watch the action. Pretty sure there won't be a post on here tomorrow canceling.

I thought we were done. Guess not. I would call your event more of a copy cat than an innovation. It isn't hard to get fifty wrestlers rounded up and use an inexpensive venue so I would hope barring any bad weather you can keep the wind in the sails of your Metro Classic look alike.

I do think it is a cool event and I applaud your effort. I'm sure you have the proper insurance so all of your loose ends are tied up. I saw nothing constructive about your original post and still don't.

By the way,
I can cash those infamous checks you have referred to in a past ill advised email.

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/11/15 01:22 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 160 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)