Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Numbers #235175 03/16/15 04:56 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Take the High School wrestlers out, and we have an interesting numbers break down this year. This numbers are gathered off of trackwrestling if anyone is wondering. District 1 has 656 kids in subs. District 2 has 690 kids in their district tournament. District 3 has 714 kids in their subs.District 4 has 714 kids in their subs also. Actually a pretty even break down this year. I would suggest to the Board not to change anything because breakdown is pretty close.

Do you want changes to the district process
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 03/16/15 05:54 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235176 03/16/15 06:07 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
The only fair comparison will be district numbers not subs.

Re: Numbers [Re: sportsfan02] #235177 03/16/15 06:41 PM
J
OP Offline
J
No that will not be fair comparison because district is having only one tournament. With them having just one, it should be treated like a sub district otherwise the numbers will be off.

Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235184 03/17/15 01:06 AM
M
MRGRAPPLER Offline
M
The numbers I just read from Smoky Cabin shows 830 wrestlers from District II.

I believe though the decision was based on the total number of wrestling cards issued. If that is true that does include HS as well.

Cheers,
Mustang Bilby
"Lace-up"
Re: Numbers [Re: MRGRAPPLER] #235186 03/17/15 01:53 AM
G
grindtime Offline
G
Kids have more of a chance runnin in to there double elimination with one big tourney

Re: Numbers [Re: grindtime] #235191 03/17/15 11:51 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Ok we can not compare including high school because the other districts did not have them listed. That will make the numbers way off. Yes District 2 has 830 INCLUDING HIGH SCHOOL. Took high school away because you can not get a good read with out having ALL the districts listed.

Second, why are we counting the number of cards issued? That is a false lead!!!! How many cards are issued and the kid does one or two tournaments and quits or does not go to another tournament? The judgement should be made by the number of kids in the subs district or district tournament.

Third, why do we have high school in the kids tournament? Do they not have a high school state championship tournament? They should be moved out and 6 and Unders moved in. Let the high school kids move on to freestyle and greco since their is such a big push for that. Of course you will get the old school people who say this is like grand state. No it is not!!!! To truly have a grand state, you need the top four from all the high school state tournaments to compete. That will NEVER HAPPEN PEOPLE!!!!! HIGH SCHOOL DOES NOT BELONG IN KIDS STATE!

Fourth, Not questioning whether one big tournament or having a subs district. That is a choice each district makes. Although i personally would prefer to have all districts the same. No this DOES NOT mean having qualifying tournaments!!! That is the worst idea ever!!!

Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235208 03/17/15 09:27 PM
M
MRGRAPPLER Offline
M
Jeremy,

You bring up some good thoughts. Here is my two cents.

Based on the math and how the districts got realign not sure on the math. I do believe the intention is moving 6U into the state tournament and disconnecting the High School division to its own seperate event. I believe adding 6U would be a great thing. I think the move to cancel subs was a good decision (saves parents, money, time, and travel) but we will find out this weekend. Our folkstyle season is too long to begin with. We need to shave 3-4 weeks off by shortening the season and then refocusing those few weeks into our Freestyle and Greco season. Or an alternative would be to start the season 3-4 weeks earlier like Colorado and Oklahoma so our season would end in the end of Feb around the same time as our high school wrestlers.

Just my thoughts of course

Cheers,
Mustang Bilby
"Lace-up"
Re: Numbers [Re: MRGRAPPLER] #235215 03/18/15 12:06 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Does anyone have a reliable percentage of youth wrestlers that go on to wrestle the Freestyle and Greco seasons? I think that it is great for those that do, and I am sure that they reap the benefits. Too many kids have other sports that they want to compete in (baseball, soccer, whatever) in the off season. Does it make sense to shorten the length of the Folkstyle season when this is the only time of year that many wrestlers wrestle?

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: ReDPloyd] #235216 03/18/15 12:24 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
I only want to move it up two weeks. Not necessarily shorten it. District 2 has already taken one week away. Start one week earlier. we can attend the ncaa tourney and for the serious kids they can attend a few more national tournaments. Or possibly do a few freestyle/Greco tournaments.

For those that are playing baseball and other sports it gives them a short break before their season. Kids need breaks between sports.

Re: Numbers [Re: jerry davis] #235218 03/18/15 12:38 AM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
I don't think there will be a huge increase in freestyle numbers. Maybe in the major metro areas but not the majority of clubs.

Don't like moving the season up as many are still playing football when we start practice in November as it is.

How many people are really going to drive to NY for the NCAA's next year?

Re: Numbers [Re: jerry davis] #235219 03/18/15 12:38 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Jerry, two weeks I could live with. If all the Kansas Junior Highs/Middle Schools aligned to wrestle from October to mid December that would help as well. My main concern is for those that don't want to wrestle most of the year. I do think that they need to get at least 4-5 months of practice and tournaments to be ready for the high school grind and beyond if they are fortunate enough to go there.

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: ReDPloyd] #235220 03/18/15 12:45 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
First on the agenda is to align middle school season for sure.

Re: Numbers [Re: Daniel DRW] #235221 03/18/15 12:58 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Daniel DRW
I don't think there will be a huge increase in freestyle numbers. Maybe in the major metro areas but not the majority of clubs.

Don't like moving the season up as many are still playing football when we start practice in November as it is.

How many people are really going to drive to NY for the NCAA's next year?

Daniel, this is a tough deal for all who have kids competing in multiple sports, or even two sports that overlap. Time management, money management, etc. The great thing that we all have in common is that our kids are out there competing in something that doesn't involve their fingers and thumbs only. Youth wrestlers that go on to compete in high school should have at least 3 to 4 months of practice and tournaments a year. If you can get a wrestler to compete at the high school level, you have done something that a majority of society can't do.

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: jerry davis] #235222 03/18/15 01:03 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: jerry davis
First on the agenda is to align middle school season for sure.

I totally concur. Junior High/Middle Schoolers get to practice five days a week going into the Kids' Fed season wheras most youth wrestlers practice 2-3 times a week. This prepares the older wrestlers in the youth program for high school where it becomes taxing on you physically and mentally.

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235223 03/18/15 01:42 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
We are always talking about numbers and how many kids are in each district and how many kids are at sub's, etc.... But ending the season early to start the Olympic styles does not make sense from a numbers aspect to me. The numbers of wrestlers wrestling the Olympic styles in Kansas is relatively low. So why end the season early where our numbers are higher to start a season where are numbers are low.

Last edited by L.Geyer; 03/18/15 01:57 AM.
Re: Numbers [Re: L.Geyer] #235245 03/18/15 10:38 PM
J
Joe Knecht Offline
J
I've heard so many reasons to "shorten" the season. Changing the date of state is not about shortening the season as I'm sure tournaments will start earlier in the year. Even so, that doesn't mean you or your club has to start any sooner.

Everyone mentions the College Tournaments and the Olympic Styles. I love the Olympic styles, I mean that is how you win a World Medal but with that said, those going to D1s or going into FS/GR are the minority for this case.

That is real heart of the matter from all the complaints I've personally taken from Moms and Dads is SPRING BREAK! Spring Break is the number one issue IMO with our State Date. I wish club leaders would poll their teams as I suspect Spring Break far outweighs the other aspects. That gives me an idea, I love data and will work w/ the Executive Council to survey our membership to gather that data.

Moving the tournament up so we avoid Spring Break is a win-win. Kids can still go for their shot at state AND go with their families on vacation, NCAAs or start FS/GR.

Personally when it's moved up, I will do all of that. We'll go on vacation, we'll continue wrestling and hit up the college nationals. Maybe all in the same week! And yes Daniel, NY would be perfect for that type of vacation!

By the way, if you haven't experienced an College or World/Olympic event, you are missing out on a great time and learning opportunity for your wrestler!

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875
Re: Numbers [Re: Joe Knecht] #235246 03/19/15 12:15 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
Agree joe. The opportunity for matches is unbelievable now that we have tons of tournaments on Sunday.

We had one kid at the seeding meeting that had a record for this year of 149-12. Shortening our season by 2 weeks won't keep you from getting matches.

My kids would love a spring break. Ask yours if they would

Re: Numbers [Re: jerry davis] #235247 03/19/15 12:36 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: jerry davis
We had one kid at the seeding meeting that had a record for this year of 149-12.

That is insane. The most matches my son ever had was his 8th grade year from the start of the Junior High season to the Middle School Nationals Duals in Indianola, IA (78 matches, 60-18).

Last edited by ReDPloyd; 03/19/15 12:36 AM.

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: ReDPloyd] #235248 03/19/15 01:05 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
A few numbers to consider.

http://www.russianwrestling.net/node/35
Russian Wrestling System vs U.S.

October 20, 2010 - 9:36am — vlady
2010 was again a successful year for Russian wrestlers. They dominated in all big international competitions. Many people in the international wrestling community (particularly in the U.S.) are trying to figure out the success of the Russian Wrestling System. My opinion of why Russia dominates is that the system is built on deep wrestling traditions with tremendous financial and political support.
Here is a comparison of the Russian Wrestling System to the U.S. The Russian Wrestling System is built to develop World and Olympic champions. This is what kids want to be when they start wrestling. In Russia, most kids start at age 10-12 yrs. and have 2-4 tournaments per year. Kids do not usually cut weight. At cadette and junior age (14-16), athletes wrestle 4-8 tournaments per year and cut on average 4-8 lbs. a couple times per year. The majority of wrestlers do not burn out mentally or wear out physically when they reach senior level. In Russia, the average wrestling practices runs for 1 & 1/2 hrs. At the kids level, the system focuses to develop wrestling skills (flexibility, agility, coordination, etc.) and basic technique. Most of the practice time is spent playing and drilling. Live wrestling runs for about 5-10 min. per practice. At cadette and junior level, athletes develop more complicated technique and spend a lot of time in different wrestling situations and positions. They still do not spend a lot of time live wrestling. At the senior level, wrestlers polish their technique and tactic and focus on physical conditions. At all age levels, practices are short but high intensity.
In the U.S., a kid's goal is to be a State champion. They start wrestling at age 5-7 yrs. and wrestling 10-15 tournaments per 4-6 months season. At age 10-13, almost all wrestlers in U.S. cut weight. I saw a 12 yr. old who cut 14 lbs. for a State tournament to wrestle in the 74 lb. category!! Also, I saw a 15 yr. old who cut 20 lbs. to wrestle at Nationals in the 95 lb. category. Parents of both wrestlers encouraged and pushed their sons to do this!! In the U.S., at all ages, wrestling practice focuses to build condition. The duration of practice is usually 2 hr. or more and live wrestling is a big part of the practice. Kids are bored and lazy to learn technique. Parents and coaches are not patient and want immediate results. By college age, half of wrestlers burn out. Only a small percentage still want to wrestle after college.
In Russia, big bonuses and incentives are good motivation to wrestle. Usually all of the best wrestlers are provided with career opportunities by government or businesses. While athletes wrestle or they finish their sport career they know they will have a good job. This is very important for the Russian Wrestling System.
In U.S., wrestlers don't have opportunities like this. Only a few can afford to wrestle 10-15 yrs. at the senior level. The U.S. can beat Russia in wrestling some years. But to dominate the World constantly, the U.S. has to create a wrestling system that is better or at least competitive to the Russian Wrestling System.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 03/19/15 01:05 AM.
Re: Numbers [Re: Joe Knecht] #235258 03/19/15 02:07 PM
J
John Taylor Offline
J
Everything you said here makes 100% sense and I 100% agree. Our family would probably do 2 of 3 if the season was moved up. Go on a great family vacation for spring break and hit up the NCAA's. My son personally would then start his spring soccer and baseball. So that he is not a month behind everyone else like every other year. I think there is no doubt the date needs moved a couple weeks earlier.

Originally Posted By: Joe Knecht
I've heard so many reasons to "shorten" the season. Changing the date of state is not about shortening the season as I'm sure tournaments will start earlier in the year. Even so, that doesn't mean you or your club has to start any sooner.

Everyone mentions the College Tournaments and the Olympic Styles. I love the Olympic styles, I mean that is how you win a World Medal but with that said, those going to D1s or going into FS/GR are the minority for this case.

That is real heart of the matter from all the complaints I've personally taken from Moms and Dads is SPRING BREAK! Spring Break is the number one issue IMO with our State Date. I wish club leaders would poll their teams as I suspect Spring Break far outweighs the other aspects. That gives me an idea, I love data and will work w/ the Executive Council to survey our membership to gather that data.

Moving the tournament up so we avoid Spring Break is a win-win. Kids can still go for their shot at state AND go with their families on vacation, NCAAs or start FS/GR.

Personally when it's moved up, I will do all of that. We'll go on vacation, we'll continue wrestling and hit up the college nationals. Maybe all in the same week! And yes Daniel, NY would be perfect for that type of vacation!

By the way, if you haven't experienced an College or World/Olympic event, you are missing out on a great time and learning opportunity for your wrestler!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 168 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)