Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Numbers [Re: smokeycabin] #235259 03/19/15 02:17 PM
J
John Taylor Offline
J
I agree with the way the Russians do it and avoid burn out. I have been coaching my club for 6 years now and the only time we go over our 1.5hr practice time is for the games at the end of practice. ( Games designed to help condition, have fun, learn body control and again have fun) We had never in the 1st 5 years wrestled any live in that 1.5hr time period. It is all technique, drilling and games. This year I have added some situational live for about 10-15 minutes 1 to 2 days per week. Is my club titans of Kansas wrestling no and we never will be, but I will say the kids don't get burned out and continue to come back year after year. We are a small town with no wrestling tradition and my main goal is to keep as many as possible wrestling all the way through high school. Don't have any kids burn out and continue to love this great sport, like I do. Is this the right way?? I have no idea, but it is working right now and I hope it continues, so that eventually we can have a very good high school team with a lot of experienced wrestlers who just love the sport.

Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
A few numbers to consider.

http://www.russianwrestling.net/node/35
Russian Wrestling System vs U.S.

October 20, 2010 - 9:36am — vlady
2010 was again a successful year for Russian wrestlers. They dominated in all big international competitions. Many people in the international wrestling community (particularly in the U.S.) are trying to figure out the success of the Russian Wrestling System. My opinion of why Russia dominates is that the system is built on deep wrestling traditions with tremendous financial and political support.
Here is a comparison of the Russian Wrestling System to the U.S. The Russian Wrestling System is built to develop World and Olympic champions. This is what kids want to be when they start wrestling. In Russia, most kids start at age 10-12 yrs. and have 2-4 tournaments per year. Kids do not usually cut weight. At cadette and junior age (14-16), athletes wrestle 4-8 tournaments per year and cut on average 4-8 lbs. a couple times per year. The majority of wrestlers do not burn out mentally or wear out physically when they reach senior level. In Russia, the average wrestling practices runs for 1 & 1/2 hrs. At the kids level, the system focuses to develop wrestling skills (flexibility, agility, coordination, etc.) and basic technique. Most of the practice time is spent playing and drilling. Live wrestling runs for about 5-10 min. per practice. At cadette and junior level, athletes develop more complicated technique and spend a lot of time in different wrestling situations and positions. They still do not spend a lot of time live wrestling. At the senior level, wrestlers polish their technique and tactic and focus on physical conditions. At all age levels, practices are short but high intensity.
In the U.S., a kid's goal is to be a State champion. They start wrestling at age 5-7 yrs. and wrestling 10-15 tournaments per 4-6 months season. At age 10-13, almost all wrestlers in U.S. cut weight. I saw a 12 yr. old who cut 14 lbs. for a State tournament to wrestle in the 74 lb. category!! Also, I saw a 15 yr. old who cut 20 lbs. to wrestle at Nationals in the 95 lb. category. Parents of both wrestlers encouraged and pushed their sons to do this!! In the U.S., at all ages, wrestling practice focuses to build condition. The duration of practice is usually 2 hr. or more and live wrestling is a big part of the practice. Kids are bored and lazy to learn technique. Parents and coaches are not patient and want immediate results. By college age, half of wrestlers burn out. Only a small percentage still want to wrestle after college.
In Russia, big bonuses and incentives are good motivation to wrestle. Usually all of the best wrestlers are provided with career opportunities by government or businesses. While athletes wrestle or they finish their sport career they know they will have a good job. This is very important for the Russian Wrestling System.
In U.S., wrestlers don't have opportunities like this. Only a few can afford to wrestle 10-15 yrs. at the senior level. The U.S. can beat Russia in wrestling some years. But to dominate the World constantly, the U.S. has to create a wrestling system that is better or at least competitive to the Russian Wrestling System.

Re: Numbers [Re: John Taylor] #235262 03/19/15 03:33 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
Each and every kid is different.The biggest problem is cookie cutter coaching.What I mean by that is treating all wights and ages the same.Some kids need pushed,some do not or can not be pushed.Some are mean as heck.some are so nice they let the kid up at state if he crys.[MY SON] Knowing the kids you teach and teaching them how they need thought ..There has been some days my son has trained for hours,on the flip side there has been days we have goofed off instead of train.The more he wants to train the more we do.When he hits his limit we will do some thing else.The very best train hard AND want to.The kids that set there sights on some thing way down the road are the ones that stick with it.As coaches and parents we need to help them do that. Some want collage,some place a HS.If the kids goal is to win kids state at 8 u,where/what dose he do when he reaches the goal.My son and I have set one big goal.Than we add the small goals that lead up to it.Just my view as a coach/dad.

Charles Bradford

Re: Numbers [Re: John Taylor] #235263 03/19/15 04:44 PM
L
Love My Wrestler Offline
L
This is our fifth year in the sport, and third true run at state. We made the choice to skip spring break (a sunny beach with drink in hand) to wrestle at districts. My opinion (as well as my wrestler) would be move it up so they can have both. A shot at state, and spring break. IMO it could also help numbers as the kids get older. These kids sacrifice so much for this sport, and by the time they are middle schoolers, spring break with family or friends looks a whole lot better than 6-8 hours of practice, and potentially cutting weight. IDK about other clubs, but we start late November, and if we go to state wrestle till well- now lol. I think stopping the week before spring break would be an awesome way to let our athletes reset before spring sports.

Re: Numbers [Re: John Taylor] #235264 03/19/15 04:56 PM
T
ThomasGT Offline
T
Earlier, please make it end earlier!!

Re: Numbers [Re: ThomasGT] #235268 03/19/15 05:55 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Here is one problem I see about moving it around spring break. Someone will always be mad because we do not have the same spring break times. If we move it up to the week after high school state, then you will see alot of December tournaments. I do not believe we should be moving it for Freestyle and Greco. I am sorry but the numbers do not justify it. Kids will still go play soccer and baseball. You will not see a big jump in either one. I have no problem going starting tournaments December 1 and go to February 28th. That means if we eliminate subs, we will have district first week in March and state the second week. And if we cut it short to reset for spring sports are we not taking away from freestyle and greco anyways? I know that baseball teams out here are practicing already so there would not really be a reset.

Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235269 03/19/15 06:03 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
We are on spring break right now. What about us.

Re: Numbers [Re: Bones1768] #235272 03/19/15 06:43 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We are on spring break now. But looking around typically spring break is anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th week in March

Re: Numbers [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235279 03/19/15 09:21 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
Would love to end the season earlier but I'm pretty sure some of the middle schools are still wrestling during the time state qualifiers would be going on if we moved everything back 2 weeks?

Who run Bartertown!
Re: Numbers [Re: master blaster] #235282 03/19/15 10:09 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: master blaster
Would love to end the season earlier but I'm pretty sure some of the middle schools are still wrestling during the time state qualifiers would be going on if we moved everything back 2 weeks?

Another reason all middle schools should start in the late fall.

Lee Girard
Re: Numbers [Re: ReDPloyd] #235283 03/20/15 12:07 AM
E
Edflo1 Offline
E
We typically have spring break 2nd to 3rd week of March, having State moved to first of March would be much better. We clinic in Nov and wrestle Dec-March, about a month too long IMO.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)