Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
High school in 14 and under #235195 03/17/15 03:36 PM
J
jule Offline OP
OP Offline
J
How about some opinions. Looking at brackets from Hays and subs I see a number of High school kids in 14 and under. I am very aware that rules allow this. My question how ethical is it to place in High school state or even qualify then drop down to wrestle 7th and 8th graders? Also do these kids have a choice could they move up to HS division?

Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: jule] #235196 03/17/15 04:11 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
They have the choice to wrestle either one.

Is going in 14U making them better? Some bracket may be more tougher than other to where they do get good matches. Some may be weaker and in that case the wrestler may not be getting quality matches.

The rules allow it and 10 years ago it wouldn't have been an issue or a choice.

I think the HS division still needs to be looked at closer. I think the fresh, soph and juniors make sense but I think I'm on the fence with the Sr. class.

It may be that they want one last chance to wrestle and win a state title. I get that and can understand that. The kids division may be harder to win in the HS division in their respective class in HS.

Thinking back it was put in to try to get those top kids to wrestle for a sort of Grand State, but it hasn't panned out that way. There will be some of that but not the level it was once hoped for.

Back to original question they can enter in whatever age group they choose as long as their age allows it. It also give the 7th and 8th graders a good perspective where they need to get to in the next few years.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: Teamroper] #235203 03/17/15 07:09 PM
M
meb Offline
M
They are still in the 14u division. It isn't any different than any other age bracket. They have a up year and a down year. Just because you call them freshman, doesn't mean they are any older than if you call them 14U. Let them wrestle in their age bracket if they want to. A lot of times, the returning freshman haven't had near the quantity or quality of matches that the kids wrestling kids club have. My 8th grader beat out 3 freshman at subs for 1st place. They are just 14U wrestlers. Don't worry about it.

Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: meb] #235205 03/17/15 08:53 PM
Beeson Offline
I know that everyone hoped for it to be a sort of Grand State, but in reality, we knew going in that it was going to be for those High School Kids that just loved to wrestle and were not the world beaters. This is recreational wrestling for the most part in the High School Division. Very few are pulling weight, training super serious, or even worried about who will be in which bracket. They are doing it for fun.

As far as wrestling High School or 14U. I have always said let the kid wrestle wherever they want. They are 14 year old kids wrestling in their own division. If you take out the 14U High School kids then you are really watering down the 14U division. Jake is wrestling 14U this year, if for no other reason than we can. smile

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: jule] #235206 03/17/15 09:00 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: jule
How about some opinions. Looking at brackets from Hays and subs I see a number of High school kids in 14 and under. I am very aware that rules allow this. My question how ethical is it to place in High school state or even qualify then drop down to wrestle 7th and 8th graders? Also do these kids have a choice could they move up to HS division?

My poor freshman had to wrestle Seniors and Juniors for the majority of his season. How fair was that? Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: Beeson] #235214 03/17/15 11:50 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
My son had to wrestle the high school division his freshman year. After going 2-2 at the HS State tournament, he finished 5th in the high school division at Kids' State, the first state medal he had ever won. If he would have had the choice between divisions, I honestly don't know what he would have done. I am glad he didn't have to make that choice. When you are a lower weight wrestler, there isn't that much difference between going against high school competition and truly seasoned middle schoolers who have wrestled just as many years as you have. That being said, going against Juniors and Seniors when you are a Freshman can present a problem.

Lee Girard
Re: High school in 14 and under [Re: ReDPloyd] #235244 03/18/15 09:44 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Can't believe I'm saying this.

Well said Mr. Beeson.

My son placed 5th last yr. as a freshman at HS state, and wrestled 14u at kids state.

Same reason as Beeson, took his lumps as a freshman, and wanted to see "New" blood, in 14u.

People need to realize, if your 8th grader wants to wrestle in HS, these are some of the young men you will be facing, the following year. And from my point of view, some of these 8th graders are pretty darn tough, and upset some freshman.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)