Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
unmotivated wrestler advice #237456 10/13/15 01:14 PM
S
SeaRay1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a twelve year old son who has wrestled since age 6 and has had some success (qualified for state twice but not placed). He is not wanting to wrestle this year and I am torn between forcing him to continue or letting him hang it up. He was on the young side of 12u last year and did not have the success he is accustomed to and I suspect that is part of the issue. I feel that he will regret not wrestling later in the year or next year and will "fall behind."
Just looking for some advice from any parents who have had this situation and what you did.

Thanks

Re: unmotivated wrestler advice [Re: SeaRay1] #237459 10/13/15 02:16 PM
J
jwatkins Offline
J
Make him finish what he starts but don't force him to start something he doesn't want to do. Learning to count the cost and count it correctly is one of the great lessons athletics teaches us. Maybe, he has counted the cost and decided it doesn't add up or maybe he has miscounted and will later decide that he misses it more than he thought. If so, I would still make him sit out the rest of the season. He could start again during freestyle or wait until next year. Missing one year will not determine whether he will be successful down the road. In fact, it may help him dedicate himself more to the sport if he decides he really misses it. If he doesn't really miss it, than it was probably more your dream than his.

Re: unmotivated wrestler advice [Re: jwatkins] #237460 10/13/15 07:17 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
We had that exact scenario in my house. I didn’t force him into it and he sat out a year, when he went into middle school he told me he wanted to give it a go again on his own. He has since improved (SQ) and is enjoying the sport more than he did before.

Too many times we as parents want it more and some even think they are wrestling for scholarships in kids wrestling or that a kid’s state championship promises HS success…..

Make sure there is not an underlying issue that needs addressed and then let him decide is my theory.

Re: unmotivated wrestler advice [Re: Daniel DRW] #237477 10/15/15 12:30 PM
S
SeaRay1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the input.

Re: unmotivated wrestler advice [Re: jwatkins] #237478 10/15/15 12:32 PM
S
SeaRay1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks. I agree to finish what you start, I just do not want him to do nothing.

Re: unmotivated wrestler advice [Re: SeaRay1] #237479 10/15/15 01:38 PM
B
Bobcat71 Offline
B
The bottom side of 12 and under is, in my opinion, the hardest year for wrestling. The older kids are going through puberty and the younger kids, for the most part are not even close. The bottom side can be a very humbling experience for kids. Both my boys went from state placer/qualifier on the top side of 10U to not making it out of Districts on the bottom side of 12U. We had to have a conversation with our boys about the bottom side of 12U, and just taking their lumps, learning from every match, and giving their best effort. My oldest finished top side of 12U this past season and he had a blast. Tell him he now gets to "rough up" the 11 year olds this year. I don't think forcing him to wrestle will make him love wrestling. Let him finish middle school football, maybe do middle school wrestling, and see what club season brings. I agree, if he doesn't want to wrestle then have him do something. You will make the right decision...

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)