Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? #237554 10/28/15 06:26 PM
M
Mrfess Offline OP
OP Offline
M
WHEN SHOULD I INTRODUCE MY SON TO THE SPORT OF WRESTLING?: A QUESTION REVISITED
http://www.obsessedwrestler.com/blog/whe...tion-revisited/

Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Mrfess] #237558 11/01/15 03:53 PM
Q
Quinten Wheeler Offline
Q
I personally didn't have the opportunity to wrestle as a youngster. I realized when I got to the high school football field the advantage most of these guys had who had spent their younger years on a wrestling mat. Their tenacity, balance and strength for the most part was unmatched by most. My first son started wrestling when he was five. I was encouraged by coaches and other dads to get out on the mat with him so I could learn also. I knew absolutely nothing so I was very hesitant but followed through and haven't looked back. With a lot of help from the men in our club it has been nothing but an exceptional experience. My oldest is 12 now. I also have a 7 year old and 4 year old who saw there older brother doing something they wanted to be involved in. I couldn't say no so they were on the mat before they could wipe by themselves(technically 3 years old). By doing this I knew the responsibility I would have in the practice room. They usually only practiced for the first hour and sometimes they didn't last that long but felt like they were involved. I guess it depends on your club and coaches but I say the sooner the better if there are folks willing to work with kids that age . With the time change and all the technical toys kids have available I'd rather them be rolling around breaking an occasional sweat instead of wearing out their thumbs on the couch! I've talked to many dads who started their kids at 6,7,8 or older and wish they'd have started them when they were 5. So if your going to drop him off and go home, 5 years of age is a great place to start. If you or someone you know is willing to help them ,then a sooner introduction can be advantageous.

Last edited by Quinten Wheeler; 11/02/15 02:39 AM.

Quinten Wheeler
Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Quinten Wheeler] #237567 11/02/15 01:58 PM
M
Mrfess Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Quinten Wheeler
I personally didn't have the opportunity to wrestle as a youngster. I realized when I got to the high school football field the advantage most of these guys had who had spent their younger years on a wrestling mat. Their tenacity, balance and strength for the most part was unmatched by most. My first son started wrestling when he was five. I was encouraged by coaches and other dads to get out on the mat with him so I could learn also. I knew absolutely nothing so I was very hesitant but followed through and haven't looked back. With a lot of help from the men in our club it has been nothing but an exceptional experience. My oldest is 12 now. I also have a 7 year old and 4 year old who saw there older brother doing something they wanted to be involved in. I couldn't say no so they were on the mat before they could wipe by themselves(technically 3 years old). By doing this I knew the responsibility I would have in the practice room. They usually only practiced for the first hour and sometimes they didn't last that long but felt like they were involved. I guess it depends on your club and coaches but I say the sooner the better if there are folks willing to work with kids that age . With the time change and all the technical toys kids have available I'd rather them be rolling around breaking an occasional sweat instead of wearing out their thumbs on the couch! I've talked to many dads who started their kids at 6,7,8 or older and wish they'd have started them when they were 5. So if your going to drop him off and go home, 5 years of age is a great place to start. If you or someone you know is willing to help them ,then a sooner introduction can be advantageous.

Quinten, did you have them competing in tournaments that young? Yours is an interesting perspective. I can see this not being a bad idea at all from the perspective of maybe having them involved in the practice room. Competing, however, is my real concern.

Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Mrfess] #237572 11/02/15 11:08 PM
Q
Quinten Wheeler Offline
Q
I did let them compete in the smaller tournaments my oldest son was involved with. Usually where one of us went the rest of us followed. Most of the time there were several levels in each bracket so they had some kids that were in the same boat. I can honestly say that those little bitty guys out there draw the biggest crowds because they all are so dang cute. Plus my boys were always crushed when they were told they couldn't wrestle a certain tournament. I think that it's very obvious in the practice room to tell if a little guy will be able to step out on the mat and a lot of it has to do with how they are handled in practice and at home. As long as the people coaching them understand what they need to hear, because they've spent hours being the voice they listen to , then it's a very positive experience. But I have also seen those who have pushed kids in it when they were too young so I know exactly what your saying. It takes consistency and a lot of one on one time. So a lot depends on the size of the club and the coaches ideas also. We have a small club and try to get as much help in the practice room as we can. The folks helping watch the coach ,as do the kids. Just having an adult to say , " ok, your turn" , increases productivity and the amount of reps these kids obtain. The little ones must have someone there for as long as they want to practice. And that takes patience, which is something I am in the process of learning, still. I will say that I WONT EVER have it all figured out but I am in the process of developing relationships with these young men, no matter what sport or hobby, that will last a lifetime.

Quinten Wheeler
Scott City Takedown Club

Quinten Wheeler
Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Quinten Wheeler] #237573 11/03/15 02:01 PM
D
Dustin Malone Offline
D
I started when I was 4, and we went wrestling every weekend once I began. I can tell you, I got burned out and took a year off when I was 10. After the year off, we went wrestling every weekend we could, again. By the time I was a senior in high school, I was ready to be done. With my own kids, I started them when they were 5. The big difference with them is we go to 2 practices a week, and only 3 tournaments a year. We are usually done mid February. I have done this with both of my boys. My older son is now 8, and is really starting to understand the sport. He will do 3 nights of practice, including Purler on Tuesday nights here in Emporia. He will probably go to more tournaments this year, but we will limit him to probably 2 a month. My younger son will still only do 2 practices a week and 2 to 3 tournaments this year unless he really want to wrestle more. My younger son will not participate in subs, I want him to have one more year experience. I think this helps my boys stay interested in the sport, and not burn them out. This is just a personal choice for my family, and has worked out so far.

Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Dustin Malone] #237580 11/03/15 11:31 PM
Q
Quinten Wheeler Offline
Q
EXACTLY! Whatever works for each situation. Because we are all different. There is no "specific age" that is the ideal for everyone and there never will be.

Quinten Wheeler
Re: When Should I Introduce My Son to Wrestling? [Re: Quinten Wheeler] #237607 11/06/15 07:41 PM
EastLancerCoach Offline
A good friend of mine started his kid out at 5 years old as well. He is a Freshman this season. He would just simply ask him if he wanted to go to practice/tournament or not. If he said no he would not push him. He has 5 top 5 finishes at kids state and is a 2 time national champ and placed 2nd nationally twice. He has picked every tournament he has wrestled in all over the country. For some reason had never wanted to wrestle Tulsa so they did not push him. I tried too LOL but he wasn't going for it.

Coach Baker
SME Wrestling Coach

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 140 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)