Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Most matches in a Season #239553 02/16/16 06:38 PM
BigPin22 Offline OP
OP Offline
It looks like Tyler Hensley should end up with over 60 matches this year. Has anyone else done this?????

By my math, that pace (over a 4 year period) would take most wrestlers an additional 2 years of wrestling to hit that number. (6 years total)

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: BigPin22] #239556 02/16/16 09:14 PM
Cokeley Offline
Reese Cokeley had 209 career matches for the Thunder. He had 59 his junior year (even missing a few matches because of auto accident). I believe that is the most ever by a Kansas HS wrestler. I haven't done the career math on Tbone yet. I proposed this as a record for the KWCA to monitor as it takes an ironman wrestler to stay healthy and motivated as that is a ton of backside matches.

The career takedown record and some of the others are really contrary to wrestling. There have been many, many wrestlers who could have gone the takedown and cutem' route to inflate this number but wrestling is about pinning not humiliating. JMO

Last edited by Cokeley; 02/16/16 10:33 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: Cokeley] #239557 02/16/16 09:37 PM
Ed Wilson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
The career takedown record and some of the others are really contrary to wrestling. There have been many, many wrestlers who could have gone the takedown and cutem' route to inflate this number but wrestling is about pinning not humiliating. JMO

Agree 100%, I dont understand why coaches/parents let their wrestlers parene takedown/cut em' routine, it is the worst kind of sportsmanship, imo.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: Ed Wilson] #239560 02/16/16 10:31 PM
Coach Malay Offline
We allow max of 3 per match.

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: Cokeley] #239587 02/17/16 01:33 PM
BigPin22 Offline OP
OP Offline
I proposed this as a record for the KWCA to monitor as it takes an ironman wrestler to stay healthy and motivated as that is a ton of backside matches.

I agree!

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: Ed Wilson] #239589 02/17/16 01:54 PM
R
RightCall Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

Agree 100%, I dont understand why coaches/parents let their wrestlers parene takedown/cut em' routine, it is the worst kind of sportsmanship, imo.

I'm not intentionally trying to take away from the topic of most matches (Congrats to the young man who has made it through the grind), but I feel the need to shed a different light on the subject of cutting opponents. We have to remember if any young wrestler has the mind set to wrestle internationally then he/she must be good on their feet. I have encouraged a few cuts in my day with the intention of getting better at takedowns, although a vast majority probably cut opponents because they believe it "looks cool" there are a few who do it with a purpose... i.e. to get better from the neutral position. Just a different view.. but to the ones who think it's "cool"... It's really not.. IMO.. Good day.

Clark Forward

Last edited by RightCall; 02/17/16 01:57 PM.

"Don't complain, Wrestle."
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: RightCall] #239593 02/17/16 02:54 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: RightCall
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

I'm not intentionally trying to take away from the topic of most matches (Congrats to the young man who has made it through the grind), but I feel the need to shed a different light on the subject of cutting opponents. We have to remember if any young wrestler has the mind set to wrestle internationally then he/she must be good on their feet. I have encouraged a few cuts in my day with the intention of getting better at takedowns, although a vast majority probably cut opponents because they believe it "looks cool" there are a few who do it with a purpose... i.e. to get better from the neutral position. Just a different view.. but to the ones who think it's "cool"... It's really not.. IMO.. Good day.

Clark Forward

I believe in the "cut" to get better but I don't believe in beating someone 30-14 just to rack up 15 takedowns. I think that keeping the record is sending the wrong message and some are motivated to have this record so they do exactly what I described or mount a 14 point lead and then seek a fall. But, that being said, if you can take an opponent down at will, there is NOT any learning going on by either wrestler.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: Cokeley] #239596 02/17/16 04:10 PM
R
RightCall Offline
R
But, that being said, if you can take an opponent down at will, there is NOT any learning going on by either wrestler. [/quote]

You forgot to say.. IMO.. because IMO I believe you can learn something from anything and everything.. once again IMO.. but I respect you view sir.. Good day.
(Congrats to the young man who has endured the grind)

Clark Forward

Last edited by RightCall; 02/17/16 04:10 PM.

"Don't complain, Wrestle."
Re: Most matches in a Season [Re: BigPin22] #239614 02/18/16 02:28 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Great job Tyler,
But as you quote, BigPin22, "Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck

Make yourself better for the NEXT level

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)