Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ad Hoc State Series Committee #242267 10/02/16 01:21 AM
M
Matthew Treaster Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This past season the Ad Hoc Committee to Review the State Series met to explore options for our State Tournament and State Series. The committee was made up of those that volunteered to serve. As part of the committee's work it was decided to send out a brief survey to our membership to see their preferences on the format of our state tournament and series. The survey was sent out this summer. Below are the survey results that were received. There were 369 surveys returned. The Committee will explore some ways to get a larger feedback on any future survey. One problem that was encountered on sending out the emails is that some teams only enter a single email address for all of their club members. This season we would ask coaches to enter emails for each wrestler when they order their USAW cards to help with any future email surveys.

Kansas Kids State Series Survey Results

Q1: Do you favor having the state folkstyle tournament earlier in the year?

Yes 58.6% 215
No 24.5% 90
No preference 16.9% 62

Q2: Would you support moving the Kansas Kids State Tournament series to an early date on the calendar (such as February or early March)?

Yes – February 28.6% 105
Yes – Early March 45.5% 167
No 21.3% 78
No Preference 12.8% 47

Q3: Should USAWKS add the 6&U age division to the Kansas Kids State Tournament series?

Yes 43.2% 159
No 42.9% 158
No Preference 13.9% 51

Q4: Knowing that there is no facility in the state that could handle the 6U age group added to our current state tournament format, if we added 6U which option would you support?

Create two tournament series (for example 6U, 8U, 10U ion one)? 38.6% 135
Lengthen the current format by adding an additional half day? 35.1% 123
Other (please specify) 26.3% 92

Q5: Would it be feasible and supported by you to have the 6U, 8U, 10U age groups compete at their own state series in February?

Yes 45.9% 169
No 37.5% 138
No Preference 16.8% 61

Q6: Do you support balanced districts which should have nearly equal number of participants?

Yes 71.0% 262
No 12.7% 47
No Preference 16.3% 60

Thanks,
Matt Treaster

Re: Ad Hoc State Series Committee [Re: Matthew Treaster] #242372 10/14/16 06:24 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
This should be a stand alone question. It should also be a question we USA Wrestling the National Organization should be asking and researching - Development of of youth wrestling athletes should be a huge component.

Q3: Should USAWKS add the 6&U age division to the Kansas Kids State Tournament series?

Yes 43.2% 159
No 42.9% 158
No Preference 13.9% 51

DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

Re: State Division for 6 and under. Thoughts?
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
I think we are all in agreement that you could easily fill 16 man brackets for 6U state tournaments. That is not the issue. And yes probably the top kids are maybe ready for it but lets think about the majority. Lets protect the kids from the parents. When my kid was 5 I probably would have wanted him to try. I was not overboard but I have learned it is a marathon and was more about me than him.

So you have a state tourney and now you can rank the top kids. Is that the only positive? What if the majority of kids don't like the experience. What if the 2nd place kid never lost all year and gets beat in the finals and now does not want to wrestle because that is how his season ended. He is not ready for that. Why risk losing kids for the few that are ready?

Now mention that we are going to have weight classes for this age group and it is silly.

To answer your question, why do other states have a 6U division. #1 answer- make money, #2 answer- parents wanted it. Youth sports have gotten younger and younger because organizations realize those parents will keep paying! Why else would someone want it? The kids are not clamoring for it and if one is there is nothing wrong with making them wait rather than giving it all to them before they can even read the names on the brackets!

benaskren
Outside the Wall

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
________________________________________NO WAY!!!

askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

padre
Brain Damage

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

#1 I think the kids are young enough that try to qualify for state. No reason to do anything more than have fun at 5-6 years old. It's too much for most of these little guys.

#2 Time restraints at regionals and state. I think these sites are already extended to their limit on time. Regionals is already a 9-10 hour day. At state you already go until around 10:00 p.m. the first night and it is nice to get out around 6:30 the second day so there is a little down time for parents that come for the weekend.

Handles II
Money

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

getyourpoints
Wish You Were Here

Re: The bigger picture. Crazy parents - Unrealistic expectations
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
All study's have proven sports specialization should not start until after 14, so i agree with there research. I did find it interesting that the study said wrestling needs 2000 more hours of practice compared to the other sports in the study, at 90 minutes a practice thats 1300 more practices then other sports.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:33:56 PM by getyourpoints »

Last edited by smokeycabin; 10/14/16 09:07 AM.
Re: Ad Hoc State Series Committee [Re: smokeycabin] #242373 10/14/16 08:24 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
http://www.livestrong.com/article/1001887-old-should-kids-start-wrestling/

http://www.caelsanderson.com/faq

Ask Cael
Looking to ask a question? Head over to the Contact page and fill out the form and check back soon.
General Questions (184)
Do you think starting wrestling at a young age is helpful/important?
I think it is helpful but not necessary. I do think it’s important that kids are involved in sports developing strength, agility and coordination at an early age. It’s important that kids develop a love of exercise and develop a healthy love of competition. That depends on the parents bringing the correct perspective. I believe wrestling should be recreational in nature to young beginners. As they advance, slowly put them into more competition. I wouldn’t be afraid that your kid is falling behind or anything like that if they are going to as many tournaments as other young wrestlers. It is much better to error in the way of
waiting too long to put your kid in tough competition than to put them in too early. All kids are different. Some can handle heavy competition at an early age, most can’t. Think long term. Many great wrestlers have started late in their careers (late Jr High and high school.) The important thing is the wrestler’s
attitude. Not many of the youth that dominate the national kid’s tournaments end up dominating at the college level. A few have, but most have been pushed too hard and without a foundation of love for sport they fizzle or rebel. Make it fun.

One common but major mistake in coaching is telling kids what they are doing wrong instead of focusing on what they are doing right. At least 90% of coaches believe their job is to point out mistakes. This is
partially true, but anyone can see a mistake. Most fans in the stands can see a mistake, especially after the fact. The trick is to focus on what the athlete is doing well. Think about yourself, if someone tells you are doing something poorly, it is deflating. If someone tells you are doing something well, you light up inside and you’re motivated to do an even better job. There is a time and place for criticism but it needs to be rare and presented properly. As a parent, focus on what your young wrestler is doing well and secretly have them working on their weaknesses. That doesn’t mean you can’t help your young athlete fix a mistake, just do it delicately and out of love for them.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/1001887-old-should-kids-start-wrestling/

Re: Ad Hoc State Series Committee [Re: smokeycabin] #242417 10/20/16 03:01 AM
M
MRGRAPPLER Offline
M
Matt thanks for the survey and glad to see the responses from across the state.

Cheers,
Mustang Bilby
"Lace-up"

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 176 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)