Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winfield - what a joke #15165 03/20/04 02:48 AM
L
luckywrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
L
During the past 4 years, I have attended both regular and qualifying tournaments at Winfield. I never had any problems until this year’s regular tournament. I waited over 2 hours for a teammate’s medal who went home sick from the morning session. When I finally heard them announce his age and weight, I went to the table and asked for the medal. I was told that announcement was only to mean that they would be calling us soon. I told them that the last match was done over 2 hours before and 2 workers chewed me out but at least I got the medal. My son was done wrestling by 3 and we didn’t get his medal until almost 5. Furthermore, many of our coaches were sick that weekend and we had 3-4 kids wrestling at the same time. On at least 4 occasions the referee refused to allow our kids to call for a coach. When Mr. Biddle came by to inform one of our mother’s that her son’s bracket was being changed again we told him what was going on. He asked if he won and when we said “no”, he said, “oh well” and walked away.

I was in a good mood until going to weigh ins tonight. I got into line for a bracket and realized that my husband had no cash on him and I left my purse at home. I asked the bracket worker if I could see my son’s bracket so I would know how early I needed to arrive. My son almost always has a round robin and he is usually late on the mat since he is in a heavier weight. I was told that I would need to wait until her paying customers were taken care of. They were not posted. After a few minutes another parent joined my wait. After 20 minutes a parent offered to lend me a dollar but at this point I was to upset to give Winfield a dollar “donation“. I stood at the table for almost 35 minutes before I asked another volunteer for help. Even she seemed surprised I had to wait 35 minutes to see his bracket but they still wouldn’t let me see it. I was told they would tell me his first match only. As she told me he wrestled match #33 the bracket volunteer and the teen next to her just glared at us.

My entire family has a cold and to be honest we could really use the extra hour sleep. We will still get there early to cheer on our club. We are used to waiting around and enjoy watching our team. I do fundraising for our club so even though my son usually only wrestles 2 matches, I buy a bracket so I can donate to the club. I also sell the brackets at our tournament and even though ours are posted, I never deny a wrestler, parent, or coach the chance to see a bracket.

I understand that a tournament is mentally and physically exhausting but would a little courtesy kill someone. I guess I should be thankful that Winfield is saving me money. I refuse to support them in any way. I will not purchase a bracket or concession items at any future tournaments

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15166 03/20/04 04:25 AM
K
kadok Offline
K
Give me a free bracket or I wont buy your food!!

This would have made things more clear to them.

Sitting beside luckywrestler for a tournament would surely make for a huge headache. luckywrestler should go straight home find your purse ,relax and stay there. :rolleyes:

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15167 03/20/04 05:31 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
I will say this, Unforuntatly since this is a qualifier tournament all coaches must be bronze certified and have a USA wrestling Coahces card. Other than that though it doesn't have to be a coach from your club representing your kid, just A coach. 99% of the time the kid doesn't even listen to the coach anyway.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Winfield - what a joke #15168 03/20/04 10:23 AM
L
luckywrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I never said I wanted a free bracket, I said I wanted a little courtesy. Wow Kadok, I thought I was being a pesimist.

As far as the last tournament I am very thankful that some of the other club's coaches helped us out. We have a lot of 1st year wrestlers and just knowing a coach was matside helps.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15169 03/20/04 11:45 AM
J
J Wallace Offline
J
lucky.....how far do u live from home ? if dad didnt have any $$ and u no purse... seems like a lesson. kids need singlet, shoes, headgear,knee pads etc. I would say a little preperation would have solved the whole thing. I cant tollerate people who are inconsiderate either but seems the cards where stacked aginst you this time.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15170 03/20/04 01:58 PM
W
WRESTLINWONDER4 Offline
W
Well Luckywrestler you put it out there and it looks like you are getting shot down. Noone beleives the "I didn't have a dollar excuse". You were mad at Winfield and just looking for something to gripe about.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15171 03/20/04 11:42 PM
L
luckywrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Since I felt the need to comment on the negative at Winfield, I thought I would also commend them on today's tournament. They obviously learned what didn't work for them.

The medals were given out in a timely manner, security did a good job keeping the floor clear, and the tournament seemed to run smooth.

I really appreciate that matches were set up by weight instead of age and the heavier weights were on the end mat. It is nice not to have to worry about them landing on the lighter weight classes.

I also agree that it was irresponsible for me to use my last cash on dinner. I was more involved in getting my son weighed in rather than visit an atm. Trust me I learned my lesson.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15172 03/21/04 03:14 AM
N
not to be named6094 Offline
N
last year at Augusta we got out of there at 5:00pm and at winfield this year we got out at 8:oo and we had to wait for the 3rd and 4th to get done so we could get our medals. Our finals bout was 53 and our 3rd and 4th bout was 78, at weight 95

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15173 03/21/04 03:44 AM
Spartacus Offline
And what was the deal with Derby getting to weigh first?

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15174 03/21/04 04:31 AM
L
LegRider Offline
L
I'm sorry Nigel, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. While I do know that you are correct about the rule, I would not want just anyone coaching my wrestler. Just because someone has a bronze card in their pocket doesn't mean they know a thing about wrestling. This is no joke. I had a bronze certified coach come up to me this year and ask me how many points an escape is worth. Would you want this guy coaching your kid. Only the coaches on our team know my wrestler's strengths and weaknesses. And a good wrestler does listen to his coach. My son went to using the Tornado headgear just for the fact that he can hear me better.

AS for the brackets, I don't agree with "you buy a bracket or you wait until tomorrow morning." If they want to charge for a bracket that is already filled out and ready to go then that's great. I believe our club sells brackets. This sport is already expensive enough without trying to force people to buy a bracket. There is a post right now titled "Can we increase wrestling numbers and interest in Kansas," well if people were a little more corteous to one another that would be a start. Not everyone has money overflowing out of their pockets and if they can't afford one and just want to see it, what's the harm. I know there are people in our club that are less fortunate and can barely afford what few tournaments they do attend.

My wife complains about posts that turn into books so I'll stop for now. Thanks for listening!

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15175 03/21/04 02:30 PM
J
JayHawkster Offline
J
Medals on a timely basis?? Maybe if you were going for 3rd! If you were in the final you got to wait 2-3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15176 03/21/04 04:41 PM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
True - my boy wrestled for 3rd and didn't have even have his shorts/t-shirt on before they were calling his name. We are talking 2-3 min. tops! And I never even saw brackets for sale (which I wouldn't have purchased anyways - the drinks were expensive enough) - all I saw were the ones posted in the far corners. (I would suggest they be posted in the common area instead of at the back of the hall - it was very hard to get to them at times).

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15177 03/22/04 06:17 AM
F
Full Contact Offline
F
Spartacus,
As I understand it, the Derby club loaned two scales to Winfield for their weigh-in. That, plus getting all the Sub-District paperwork completed and in Winfield's hands in a timely fashion lead Winfield to display some gratitude and allow a few Derby kids to weigh-in first. We were not expecting that, but is was a nice gesture on their behalf. Nice to see clubs work together these days.
DJW Coach

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15178 03/22/04 07:50 AM
L
LegRider Offline
L
Early weigh-ins should not have been allowed for any reason, especially since it was a qualifier tournament. Plus, I believe, an official ref is supposed to be present. An official ref allowed this?

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15179 03/22/04 10:54 AM
R
Rob Downs Offline
R
"Early Weigh-ins" That isn't the way it was. When weigh-ins "started", they called the Derby kids to the front of the line and then starterd normal weigh-ins. Lets get it right before you make comments that are incorrect.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15180 03/22/04 02:55 PM
4 MY BOYZ Offline
STILL NO CLUB SHOULD HAVE SPECIAL PRIVILAGE ABOVE ANY OTHER CLUB. SO WHAT IF THEY LENT THEM SCALES IT WAS JUST NOT RIGHT! BUT HOW UNUSUAL WINFIELD AND DERBY HAND IN HAND! IMAGINE THAT???

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15181 03/22/04 03:02 PM
4 MY BOYZ Offline
ONE MORE POINT...I CANT IMAGINE JOE SMITH WOULD OF ALLOWED THIS, AND DID OUR DIST II DIRECTOR KINOW AND ALLOW THIS???

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15182 03/22/04 03:06 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
I was there when this occurred and I am not from Derby or Winfield. I really don't think it was a big deal and now that I know why, I do think it was a nice gesture. It did not really delay anything.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15183 03/22/04 04:12 PM
C
croft Offline
C
4 my boyz: could you e-mail me at croft@ucom.net and let me know what club you are from? I called the motel you suggested and she said she didn't have any cancellations this a.m. Thank you.

Re: Winfield - what a joke #15184 03/22/04 09:53 PM
W
walkabout1 Offline
W
Hey-guys the tournament is over-move on!
Why do some people have to complain about every little thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 143 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)