Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Novice #243222 01/10/17 03:44 AM
L
lcompton87 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We've had lots of talk going around the club on the topic of who should be considered novice.

On the 6 and under side aren't they all technically novice?

Then on all other age groups how do you determine the classification?

Thank you

Last edited by lcompton87; 01/10/17 03:45 AM.
Re: Novice [Re: lcompton87] #243224 01/10/17 11:57 AM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
That's been discussed many times and no "true" definition. Common definition is 2 years or less expereince. 6U is basically considered Novice as it is not a "sanctioned" weight and typically 1st or 2nd year kids.

If you have a stud 6U wrestle them at 8U.

Here is the definition that I have on our handbook:

• Novice – Defined as two years or less wrestling experience.

• Open – Defined as a wrestler with more than two years’ experience.

Novice note – The concept of novice wrestling is to allow them to develop the basics, so that when a wrestler is ready they can compete with experienced wrestlers. Over the years some wrestling parents have left their kids in Novice longer than they should. If your wrestler is winning or placing high in every tournament they wrestle, it is time to move them to open. If you want your wrestler to become better, they need to wrestle kids better than them. Beating up on a true Novice wrestler doesn’t do your child or their opponent any good. Don’t be a trophy hunter in the Novice division!

Re: Novice [Re: Daniel DRW] #243226 01/10/17 01:34 PM
Beeson Offline
I've said this for years. 6U are all novice. I have no idea why there is a 6U novice division.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Novice [Re: Beeson] #243230 01/10/17 01:49 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
I think most all tournaments only run one division for 6U, novice.

Either rank them as excellent so the round robin Madison bracket will separate them knowing you still won't have much for competition or just wrestle them up to 8U.

Obviously there are a few tournaments where that rule doesn't apply like Salina etc.. but I don't really see any tournaments list a open and novice division for 6U.

Re: Novice [Re: Beeson] #243232 01/10/17 03:37 PM
G
greendog Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Beeson
I've said this for years. 6U are all novice. I have no idea why there is a 6U novice division.

Beeson I know you have said that for years, and I disagree. We should both just copy and paste our posts from years past. MOST 6 and under kids are novice. There is nothing like a 6 and under stud coming into a novice tournament and destroying every kid. Now if you tournament has 6 and U and splits into 2 brackets then the is no reason for novice. I only let each of my own children wrestle novice one year. I personally don't think novice should be defined by years of experience. We have several kids in our club that have wrestled 5 years that would struggle placing in a novice tournament. And we have kids that are in their first year and win open tournaments. If everybody acted with integrity would could redefine novice with ability level.

Re: Novice [Re: greendog] #243240 01/10/17 05:19 PM
BigPin22 Offline
Originally Posted By: greendog
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Beeson I know you have said that for years, and I disagree. We should both just copy and paste our posts from years past. MOST 6 and under kids are novice. There is nothing like a 6 and under stud coming into a novice tournament and destroying every kid. Now if you tournament has 6 and U and splits into 2 brackets then the is no reason for novice. I only let each of my own children wrestle novice one year. I personally don't think novice should be defined by years of experience. We have several kids in our club that have wrestled 5 years that would struggle placing in a novice tournament. And we have kids that are in their first year and win open tournaments. If everybody acted with integrity would could redefine novice with ability level.

How can anyone argue with this Common Sense Logic?!?

Novice tournaments are for new kids or kids that can't compete at open tournaments

Novice tournaments have 6 & under divisions but if a 6 & under kid is destroying competition in open tournaments it's distasteful to enter them in a novice tournament even though they have only wrestled one or two years. Let's not get hung up on terminology, do what's best for the kids.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Novice [Re: BigPin22] #243254 01/11/17 03:57 AM
J
jcchristenson Offline
J
Is a kid with a trackwrestling record of 0-30, even if he has wrestled for four years, ok to wrestle in a novice tournament? I believe so. I agree with Greendog, "It is up to the coach to determine the capability of each wrestler within their club, and enter them accordingly."

Thoughts?

Re: Novice [Re: jcchristenson] #243262 01/11/17 04:33 PM
G
greendog Offline
G
Originally Posted By: jcchristenson
Is a kid with a trackwrestling record of 0-30, even if he has wrestled for four years, ok to wrestle in a novice tournament? I believe so. I agree with Greendog, "It is up to the coach to determine the capability of each wrestler within their club, and enter them accordingly."

Thoughts?
I agree. It is up to coaches/parents to act with integrity on both sides of the spectrum.

Re: Novice [Re: greendog] #243276 01/12/17 12:02 PM
C
chieftain Offline
C

I couldn't agree more with the above comments. With that being said, I have grown to dislike the term novice or novice specific tournaments. It seems every year there is always this "what is a novice kid" discussion. I have this discussion with parents every year in our club and it can be frustrating at times. I have grown to believe that no tournament should have the novice title in its name and all tournaments should become open. Open to everyone, from the 1st year kid to the state champion. Then I wont have to explain to the 1st and 2nd year parent why their "novice " wrestler just got beat by an 8U that was running wings and riding legs. Maybe we should adapt a better ranking system? If i'm not mistaken this is something Track can be set up to recognize and would place the kids with other similarly ranked kids.

A= State Qualifier
B= Good (usually places)
C= Experienced
D= Beginner (1st year)

At the end of the day there really is no perfect solution better than good ole common sense. This is just my two cents on the topic.

Scott Underwood
Tonganoxie Wrestling

Last edited by chieftain; 01/12/17 12:32 PM.

Scott Underwood
Tonganoxie Wrestling
Re: Novice [Re: chieftain] #243278 01/12/17 01:25 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
One solution is for tournaments to run the novice and open divisions side by side in the same session/same day. Then not allow double dipping between open and novice divisions. This forces parents/coaches to make a choice between the two.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)