Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sportsfan02] #244980 02/26/17 05:42 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
After you watch the video we can continue, I'm certain you will understand my quest for change!

Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: L.Geyer] #244981 02/26/17 05:57 PM
B
Bassman Offline
B
No video review, for reasons stated above. It seems that some officials try to "step it up" at state. The stall calls are quicker (a few I believe should have been called that weren't), and the judgement calls seem different at state. Every official calls those calls a little differently,because, well, they are judgment calls. But at state wrestling, it seems that most of the officials call stalling quicker. In my opinion it is correct, but why not call it the same all year long? Why the inconsistency? To finish, when it's a close match and an official won't call stalling to keep from interfering with the match, they interfere and give the match away by not calling a stall that should be called. That said, the officials have a tough job and have to have thick skin to do their job. I commend them, even the controversial ones. Gotta have officials, and not many young ones learning and filling the pool of refs to choose from.

Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Bassman] #244983 02/26/17 06:58 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Video can be found at the following link
https://youtu.be/RIiVtBG46O4

Match is 1 to 1 at the time the video begins, it is at the end of the 3 period. Silver Lake is Red, Riley County is Green.

The Second Clip is overtime.

Last edited by Tom Richard; 02/26/17 07:18 PM.
Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tom Richard] #244985 02/26/17 08:14 PM
M
MHS77 Offline
M
I've watched the video 5 times. I don't know which kid is which but it is clear if anybody should have been given a takedown in the first clip it was the kid in blue and white who appeared to gain control at end. In the second clip there was no control by anyone and no takedown should have been called. Can someone explain what was actually called.

Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: MHS77] #244986 02/26/17 08:26 PM
B
Bassman Offline
B
Priddy was awarded the td in the second clip. Gold singlet. ( This is nothing against either wrestler, just what was called)

Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: MHS77] #244987 02/26/17 08:28 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
MHS77,
The first clip if you watch the ref he awards 2 to the wrestler in gold. The second clip the wrestler in gold gets the win in ot.

Re: We need Video Review For the Refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tom Richard] #244988 02/26/17 08:48 PM
M
MHS77 Offline
M
I've noticed that the second referee almost never disagrees with first ref so that is no help. Two possibilities to try to get things right in future. 1. Give each coach one video challenge per day and therefore won't slow matches down much. The two refs would watch the video under a 2 minute time period and no input from coaches trying to coax the referee into seeing it their way. 2. Allow video review discretion to refs if requested and one of the refs agree it could be helpful to make right call. Obviously our system makes refs "always right" as nobody can question their judgment, but at least asking them to review a critical call and giving them that right would potentially hold them accountable when they make a questionable call, refuse to review it, and end up being completely wrong as in the videos you have shown. No accountability for refs now but may be in future if they are shown to listen to reason and won't even consult a video.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: Tom Richard] #244996 02/26/17 11:00 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I guess if we want to do video review then each team only gets a certain amount of reviews in a tournament kind of like world compitetions. It would have to be based on how many wrestlers are representing a team on how many reviews they get. Otherwise some coaches are going to ask for a review every point that is scored and tournaments will never be done

JMO

Last edited by L.Geyer; 02/26/17 11:01 PM.
Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: L.Geyer] #245000 02/27/17 12:55 AM
KsOfficial Offline
The first call at 22 seconds seems to be a 2pt takedown then an immediate 2pt reversal, which could have been called either way, it was not wrong though. Video reviews??? This isn't the NFL or Olympic level wrestling.. high school football doesn't even have video reviews. Nothing less than drastic delay would happen from that at every single tournament. Horrible idea whether you put limitations per team or not.. We could always do a required physicals for the officials, that alone will solve more issues than video review. The good ole boy system needs to go as well. There are so many more great officials in Kansas than there are bad, in my opinion. Bottom line, video review is not the answer.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: KsOfficial] #245001 02/27/17 01:16 AM
T
Tom Richard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The only Intelligent thing you stated is there are a lot of good Refs, there were really good Refs at this event. Stating that the call could have gone either way clearly indicates you need glasses and video review.
We need to make things better! Video Review is a tool used in 2017!
It’s about the kids!

Several of the Refs at the 321A event stated that any Ref that would not want video review should not be on the Mat. The goal should be to get it right not always be right. The best Ref will make mistakes, this is a tool to help them in those situations.

Last edited by Tom Richard; 02/27/17 01:26 AM.
Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: Tom Richard] #245003 02/27/17 01:34 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
Guess you can pay for it to dang most schools don't want to support the wrestling anyways let alone camera's to do that

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: Cowbuff] #245004 02/27/17 01:56 AM
KsOfficial Offline
20/20 vision confirmed last month (via. Eye Associates of Wichita). Great place. You can also ask the volunteers if they are ready to be there until 10pm at every tournament. Make room for official budgets as well if tournaments will be 3-4 hours longer than usual, which cool I can always use the extra money.

If you are implying any official who is against video review is because they are afraid of it that is not too intelligent yourself. Every single match now a days is being video taped somewhere, somehow, whether it be by a parent, friend, or managers so they can go back and review them. If someone wanted to, as you have here, anyone could download a YouTube video and criticize someone else because they don't agree with what they did or said.

The reason I'm against it is because my life is already consumed with enough wrestling and I'm not looking to add hundreds of more hours a year because of video review. Trust me, more refs will agree with that whether their the greatest to ever step foot on mat or one of these you speak of.

I love wrestling and I'll be the fist to tell you those tournaments are a LONG DAY even for the parents sitting in the stands eating their popcorn.

Last edited by KsOfficial; 02/27/17 01:58 AM.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: Cowbuff] #245007 02/27/17 02:01 AM
696 Offline
Tom
Why don't you put on an officials clinic so we all know how you want it to be called.

Instead of complain about the officail lets complain about the escape your son gave up. Your son left the match to the decision of a human.

There was better was to handle this but your but you choose this way just shows how classy you are.

Aaron Roberts

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: KsOfficial] #245008 02/27/17 02:05 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
Ive watched the video and i have to say that priddy was behind the hips had stepped over the leg and had the 2 point takedown. I also saw that richard still had priddys leg but at that point his arm was just trapped there. If you look closely priddy actually has one leg in and one stepped over. The overtime takedown was good. As for regulation priddy had a takedown before the call was made and then richard did have the reversal. I cant fault the refs for the calls that were made in this instance.

Mike Pirl

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: bubbasmom77] #245009 02/27/17 02:10 AM
KsOfficial Offline
Thank you Mike thank you. You must go to Eye associates of Wichita as well. Which Dr. is your preferred walk in?

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: 696] #245012 02/27/17 02:36 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Video review for state only would not be a bad thing. With limitations. Like you could do video it for only the quarters, semis, and finals, as well as give coaches a certain amount they can use through out the tournament. You could give each coach 3 challenges and make them one time uses only. That will make coaches VERY selective about using them. There are lots of ways to make video reviews a viable option for keeping refs honest. IMO that's why a lot of refs will say no to video reviews, because they don't want to admit they made a bad call. I on the other hand would love it! As a ref I want two things: 1)for both the wrestlers to leave the mat without injury and 2) for the ability to make the correct calls during the match for each wrestler so that the correct wrestler will win. If video review will help me achieve that second part then I am all for it.

As for this particular match, I believe the refs made two incorrect calls. First, someone earlier pointed out that in the first clip the SL wrestler scored 2 and the the RC wrestler IMMEDIATELY scored a reversal. That is incorrect call #1. In high school the wrestler must establish control BEYOND REACTION TIME to score a takedown. Therefore I believe the SL kid should not have been awarded a takedown but the RC kid should have. In OT the SL kid was awarded a takedown because it appeared that he gained control of the RC kids hips. The was incorrect call #2. I don't completely fault the main ref for this one because he was only in position to see the SL kid cover the hips. However the assistant ref could have pointed out that the RC wrestler had both arms under the SL wrestler's leg preventing him from gaining control. This is just my opinion from what I saw from the clips posted.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: KsOfficial] #245013 02/27/17 02:41 AM
Beeson Offline
Not the worst calls I have ever seen, but I disagree with both calls. With that said, I had to watch both calls several times to disagree with them. So even though I don't think they were the right calls, I can't beat the officials up over them.

Sorry Tom, but I do agree that Video review is not necessary at the High School level. They don't have video review in any other high school sport, nor should they. Bad calls are made unfortunately and that's part of sports in general.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: rccokeley] #245014 02/27/17 02:44 AM
KsOfficial Offline
What's reaction time? Don't say a judgement call because coaches hate hearing that. Reaction time is how long it takes me to say "reaction time" in my head. This post wasn't about the kids, or about a call. It was about trying to humiliate and attack two people who have put in A LOT of time and work for Kansas wrestling. I disagree with you on the first call in regulation. I can see exactly where you're coming from however, and that's why I said that call could have went different ways everywhere.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: KsOfficial] #245016 02/27/17 02:49 AM
T
Tom Richard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Aaron,
Thank you for posting your name and I want to point out it is admirable sticking up for your family member.
KsOffical,
Post your Name please.
Noname,
You have a valid point, schools are struggling and we would need to figure out a way to take care of that Burdon,
Keep posting, I want to create change for the kids.

Re: Video Review For the Refs: Video is Attached [Re: Tom Richard] #245018 02/27/17 02:51 AM
KsOfficial Offline
Brady Heincker but that could be easily obtained through my post history if you are that concerned with it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 124 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)