Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silver Lake #248771 02/01/18 03:12 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
138 may clear a few things up...

Tate Steele
Luke Richard
Kolby Droegemeier
Brenner Vogan

or make it more complicated! Wish they had a true second.

Last edited by Chief Renegade; 02/01/18 03:13 PM.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Chief Renegade] #248783 02/01/18 11:21 PM
K
Kyle Patton Offline
K
Any predictions Chief?

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Kyle Patton] #248796 02/02/18 01:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
At that weight, I believe any of those four guys can win that tournament.

The seeds could even get interesting. If it goes by strict Track seeding it would be...

1. Richard - 3rd at state in 17, 1st in 16
2. Droegemeier - 4th at state in 17, 3X placer, 2-0 vs Steele this year, 1-1 v Vogan with last win.
3. Steele - 4th at state in 17, 1st in 16, 3rd in 15
4. Vogan - 4th at state in 17, 6th in 16

Since Droeg has wrestled Steele and Vogan twice already, I would like to see them put Droeg and Richard on the same side!!!

Eric Johnson

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Chief Renegade] #248801 02/02/18 03:48 PM
badbo Offline
The Droegemeier/Steele match at the Bobcat was a slugfest and one of the most entertaining of the tournament. Both are monsters on top.

Re: Silver Lake [Re: badbo] #248806 02/02/18 10:36 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Dang. Riley County is not at Silver Lake

Eric Johnson

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Chief Renegade] #248830 02/05/18 04:35 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Riley was at Silver Lake. And for some reason did not wrestle varsity?
Our AD also noticed that a RC father was filming a final match at 138, in a weight his son wrestles. Our AD deleted the match from the gentleman’s phone.

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #248833 02/05/18 01:23 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
Riley County Varsity was off this weekend. The Varsity Wrestled Last year because the Bobcat was canceled.

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248835 02/05/18 02:02 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
I was the parent that videoed this weekend. I was told by the AD I was not allowed to video and the video was erased. Not knowing the rule I apologized to the Family of the wrestler I videoed I also called the superintendent of there school and apologized to Brad. It is important that this is discussed and understood because after reading the actual rule I am still confused. I am a very black and white person that is the first to call someone out for not following the rules. I have taken video of kids in my sons brackets for years just like many others.

I, Like many at other schools help the team every weekend because our school does not have the staff needed to take care of everything that is needed. This is not an attack on the school, we just don’t have the money.

It appears to me that any parent can video anything they choose to. I am not defending my actions I am just stating the rule is not clear.

2017-2018 Rule:

1.M Filming or Videotaping Matches Video recording is authorized by NFHS rules. Coaches, fans, managers, etc. may not show athletes video recording during live competition on the mat. Viewing is permitted during injury/blood time and at the conclusion of the match for the purpose of education. No school can videotape a match that does not involve one of their wrestlers. The only exception would be the state championship finals.

Last edited by Tom Richard; 02/05/18 02:03 PM.
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248836 02/05/18 02:04 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
Let's all learn from my actions.

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248838 02/05/18 02:28 PM
Devast8r Offline
I have been looking through the Rules & Case Book, and it says that it is authorized unless it is not allowed by individual state organization. I will continue looking for a definitive answer. In the meantime, I do believe that the spirit of the rule is in regards to filming your own wrestler's/teams matches for the sake of personal improvement and study, not as a scouting tool for future opponents when your team's wrestler is not involved in the match. I hope this helps!

"Praise the Lord, my Rock. He trains my hands 4 war & gives my fingers skill 4 battle."-Ps.144:1
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Devast8r] #248839 02/05/18 03:10 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
I will have to look through old emails but we went through this last year and it was confirmed by KSHSAA that a non affiliated parent, not a employee of the school basically, is allowed to film. If things have changed I'm not tracking that. If All else fails drop Lentz a email for clarification.

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Daniel DRW] #248840 02/05/18 03:21 PM
Cokeley Offline
It is true. KSHSAA nor their member schools have no right to do what the Silver Lake administrators did. THEY WERE FLAT OUT WRONG! Shame on the coach who requested that they approach the parent!! It is 2018! Everyone is walking around with a video device in their pocket and there is zero chance of enforcing what you are asking for! In addition, wrestle like it doesn't matter. If you can't find film then scout. Game planning is real and if you are coaching you should be able to go both ways on it. How many tournaments live cast and how many post on youtube?

Embrace the technology!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248851 02/05/18 06:57 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Tom Richard
I was the parent that videoed this weekend. I was told by the AD I was not allowed to video and the video was erased. Not knowing the rule I apologized to the Family of the wrestler I videoed I also called the superintendent of there school and apologized to Brad. It is important that this is discussed and understood because after reading the actual rule I am still confused. I am a very black and white person that is the first to call someone out for not following the rules. I have taken video of kids in my sons brackets for years just like many others.

I, Like many at other schools help the team every weekend because our school does not have the staff needed to take care of everything that is needed. This is not an attack on the school, we just don’t have the money.

It appears to me that any parent can video anything they choose to. I am not defending my actions I am just stating the rule is not clear.

2017-2018 Rule:

1.M Filming or Videotaping Matches Video recording is authorized by NFHS rules. Coaches, fans, managers, etc. may not show athletes video recording during live competition on the mat. Viewing is permitted during injury/blood time and at the conclusion of the match for the purpose of education. No school can videotape a match that does not involve one of their wrestlers. The only exception would be the state championship finals.

Having now confirmed that a parent can video any match at any time, I would say that it's time for the Silver Lake High School AD, Superintendent and any of the tournament directors to issue an apology to Mr. Richard.

Eric Johnson

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Chief Renegade] #248852 02/05/18 07:30 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
Let’s discuss the bigger concern, Silver Lake is hosting a Regional in a couple of weeks and the AD does not have a handle on the 44 pages of rules related to the sport. Please read the rules, there is an entire section related to running a regional event.

Harry,
thanks for getting this post started so we can fix the root issue.
Tom

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248854 02/05/18 09:03 PM
Beeson Offline
Jake was almost ejected from Regionals last year for correcting Goddard Administration when they did not know the rules on weigh ins. Administrators if you want to run a regional tournament, know the rules and follow them.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Beeson] #248860 02/06/18 02:02 AM
K
Kyle Patton Offline
K
I think you should be able to video anybody anytime. Any time you are trying to better yourself is a positive in my mind. I hope they weren't in the wrong by making you delete the video. Tom did you get any clarification from Lentz? I don't know if your son was busy on Saturday, but maybe would have been easier if he was there to "scout."

Last edited by Kyle Patton; 02/06/18 02:05 AM.
Re: Silver Lake [Re: Kyle Patton] #248863 02/06/18 04:36 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
First of all, hats off to Tom! Accountability is missing in our world today!

Tom, I will get a definitive answer tomorrow. I don’t see that answer in black and white above. I tend to think that Kshsaa will say something like devast8r above. Also please put any concerns about Silver Lake having any troubles at the regional aside. We have an amazing staff, admin and tournament workers! We take great pride in this responsibility and will be over prepared. I will back our AD every day of the week because he goes way overboard to learn about our sport. Very, very few non wrestling admin bother!!! He will be the first to apologize if wrong! Because he cares about our sport.

Now; Chief, is your proof because my ol Friend Cokeley said so? Did you take into consideration that Tom says he helps the school? Show me where that is answered definitively above please. Especially since you were pretty demanding of the boys over at Silver Lake!

Cokeley and I have done many Kshsaa battles all the way up to the executive board. Him and I normally agree with each other. I in fact agree with him here also. We now utilize software, instant replay basically, on the sidelines in football. Kshsaa should allow the same in all,sports . But my opinion does not count.
By now the child should recognize, what should be, and what is, sometimes are not very relevant in this world! I was at that class at FHSU, he was skipping class because he was busy screaming at people on the cheesrolling and the roller derby forums, if memory serves me I believe he was into snail racing also. This guy had a serious life back then!!! Not much of a challenge to poke this warm fuzzy Cokeley bear to get him up on two legs! I love living! Hey but I must give him credit for knowing what year it is!,,

Tom, there will be folks on this forum that try to make a big deal out of this. So far you and the AD have handled it very professionally and I am betting the ranch that will continue to happen when I post a clarification tomorrow. I thank you for being so upfront!

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #248866 02/06/18 11:28 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Three points. . .

#1. It is a fools errand to try and "police" recording. EVERYONE is carrying a video camera in their pocket. Also, I see a lot of parents with SLR cameras taking photos during matches. Are they taking still photos or are they recording? LOL!

#2 The rule is written to govern the conduct of schools and how the school handles video recording. IMO it pertains only to school personnel. It does not relate to parents or siblings who are not members of the school team.

#3. The video rules came into existence in the mid to late 70's when VCRs were first becoming available. They were, for the time, immensely expensive. They represented a competitive disadvantage as some schools had them, but many did not. It is a rule that has no meaning anymore.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Silver Lake [Re: GregMann] #248872 02/06/18 12:24 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
Harry,
Indicating Parents who work tables, work Concessions, bring food for the hospitality room or many other jobs the schools need help with being governed differently than the parent that just sits and watches is a very slippery slope. Be careful!

Tom

Re: Silver Lake [Re: Tom Richard] #248873 02/06/18 12:45 PM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Tom.
Did you sit next to Danny in the coaches chair many times during the day?
Did you pay to get into the building?
We’re you on the pass list? On what line?
The only slippery slope was outside in the snow.

Greg that should clear that aspect up.
If a rule is in the book, it has meaning!
Rules are expected to be enforced, regardless of how we feel about the rule.
My opinion is listed above, but that opinion is not relevant in regard to enforcing rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)