Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This part of the journey is coming to an end #249213 02/20/18 09:59 PM
S
Scott Ward Offline OP
OP Offline
S
One of the greatest journeys in life surely must be the Father / Son wrestling experience. If the emotions could be bottled and saved for a future need, wouldn't that be nice. Not sure the feeling can be duplicated. For many of us, the pre-school to high school trip comes to an end this weekend. I took most, if not all, of the last 14 years of watching Conner wrestle for granted. Guessing we all do the same. At the conclusion of the younger years, there was always the thought of "I can't wait until next year". It was during our trips to central and western Kansas that Conner learned how to drive. At 13, he'd put on a fake mustache (for fun in case he was pulled over) and through the flint hills, he'd take me. We spent more nights in a hotel room somewhere in the state or country than I can remember. Had broken fingers, broken nose, hernias, black eyes, foot surgery cauliflower ear, some weight cuts that seemed impossible, all a part of the sport we love. You learn a lot about each other during these one on one times that are filled with both joy and disappointment. Sang a lot of songs, told a lot stories and made a lot of plans along the way.

From a little squirt at 43 lbs to finishing up at 145 lbs, there are a lot of coaches, parents and kids who have helped create the best memories and friendships a guy could hope for. I'm thankful and appreciative for the coaches and parents who have helped Conner grow as a wrestler and as a young young man over the years and am sure that I'll forget somebody, but it all started with the Mill Valley Wrestling Club and Jeff Broadbent. I knew the minute I met Jeff, that Conner would love having him as a coach and would stay interested in the sport with Jeff's positive style. Rob Atchison brought some intensity to the club practices. Damon Parker coached at MV and was the 1st to introduce Conner to a chicken wing. Eric Akin then crafted it.
At the East Kansas Wrestling Club, the greatest appreciation goes out to both Eric Akin and Travis Phippen. They are real game changers. After watching Eric and Travis coach wrestling at the highest level, coupled with story telling and life skills teaching, I understood that I was no longer good enough to be Conner's wrestling coach. They were the first to introduce Conner to the importance of understanding what it feels like to be pushed to the mental and physical edge and maybe even over the edge a time or two. They were able to take dozens and dozens of kids to the next level. I loved being in Conner's corner on Saturday's, but the duo of Eric and Travis became the two greatest outside influences in Conner's wrestling development and personal development during the time he wrestled with East Kansas. Their corner presence always resulted in more intensity and high confidence while Conner was on the mat. I was super fortunate to find two positive mentors for my boy and will always hold Eric and Travis in the highest regards. Other coaches that have helped develop Conner are Jacob Beck, Tony Purler, Jason Keck and the Greater Heights staff. High quality guys that care about the development of young men that carries beyond wrestling. Travis Keal has been Conner's anchor during the high school seasons, was and is highly influential and has been through good and tough times at HS and national level. Also big thanks to Drew Hudgins, Bo Pursel Jake Ellis and Matt Anderson for pushing MV wrestling forward.
Ryan Cokley, Jesse Thielke, Keal, Phippin, Beck and Keck have all been his primary Freestyle and Greco coaches and there have been great battles to watch at Jr. Duals and Fargo with the teams they've put together with Eric Johnson "Chief".

I have no idea how many matches he has wrestled in 14 years between folkstyle, freestyle and Greco but believe it's close enough to 1,000 and I'm lucky to have seen all but 18. Missed seeing Cadet Duals in 2015 and 2 High School matches. I do know that his high school record is 149-16 and a few of them he'd like to do again.

He and I were talking about the kids along the way that have been a big part of the journey. All of these kids were great competitors and most were opponents at some point. Some have become great friends, all drove him to train harder and get better. The list from an early age starts with Tate Steele, Jared Parenti, Hunter Skeens,Conner Greig, Gage Matlock, Gary Joint, Brian Gates, Gunner Rairden, Tyler Flood, Gage Leckner, Dylan Leckner, Dylan Gowin, Corbin Nirshl, Jonny Trowbridge, Gunnar Murray, Holden Butler, Levi Green, Paul Stewart, Tyler Kester, Caleb Bartel, Easton Schroeder, Mason Turner, Gunner Gentzler, Will Whitaker,Brody Roberson, Lane Glover, Dawson Podlena, Zach Strait, Boo Dryden, Jordan Priddy, Zach Grantham, Tate Withington Riley Alderman,Hunter Williams,Drew Ernsdorff, Brandon Becker, Jevon Parish, Dayton Porsch, Dallas Wilson, Riley McCall, Bryce Gfeller, Josh Steele, A.J. Lair, Colin and Cameron Valdiviez, Adam Ayala, Marty Verhague, Logan Treaster, Christian Bowen, Griffin Bossingham, Montez Robinson, Marcus Robinson, Bubba Wilson, Jake Beeson, Cody Phippen, Jace Koelzer, Jalin Harper...

I can't imagine a group of more positive coaches and role models that Conner has been fortunate to be around over the past 14 years.

Thank you all!

Scott Ward

Re: This part of the journey is coming to an end [Re: Scott Ward] #249227 02/21/18 01:14 PM
badbo Offline
It's a great ride! Enjoy every second. It's over way too soon!

Conner is a great kid and will go on to bigger and getter things in whatever is next for him in wrestling or in life.

We will be rooting for him.

Re: This part of the journey is coming to an end [Re: badbo] #249228 02/21/18 01:22 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
I have to say that some of my best memories from our dual teams have been watching the battles that Conner went through. He always faced them with incredible intensity. Some awesome wins for our state and when he came up short, he left it all on the mat.

God has amazing plans for him!

Chief

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 151 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)