Beginning March 5th, and on every Monday year round, we will start up an ultimate wrestling location in Basehor Linwood, near Mill Valley. They have 2 full mats in a wrestling room that is detached from the main school, and the rent is very affordable. The Basehor-Linwood practice room is in the Basehor-Tonganoxie cooperative special education building located at the NW corner of 155th and Leavenworth Rd. Address is:

3102 N. 155th St.
Basehor, KS 66007

What is ultimate? It's for advanced kids, who can easily hit all the skills in our typical pwa sessions, and for kids who get a bit bored with the pace of those sessions. I go about 10 times faster in my Thur ultimate location than I can in the weekly pwa 'developmental' sessions.

For example: at Mil valley last week, we covered like 5 turns in the drills. At the ultimate session, we covered: 8 min hand fighting match, shots from the outside (singles, Hi doubles, misdirection low singles) 4 scores from an underhook, down blocking, 2 clears from opponents front headlock, 3 core defense, 3 scrambling defenses, and 3 ways to break the lock when we were on the bottom and got to our feet.

But...the kids have to be good enough to be taught quickly and keep up, if they don't already know these skills. And many things will be new, but we will start slow and in time, once we have a core group of kids, we can pick it up. But ideally we don't want to have to run around for the entire practice and teach, we want a training environment, not a teaching one as the pwa sessions are.

The fee for this is an additional 50 a month, so 135 a month. I pay 135 a month for 2 hours of karate a week, and I used to pay 175 a month for my sons 3 hours of gymnastics per week. Additionally, this group will get a 50 dollar discount to all the 3 day training camps, usually 6 of them are held a year, as well as summer camps.

Lastly, this is a year round program, so if the kids miss 6-8 weeks for baseball, the fees are still do, and the kids are encouraged to skip a couple baseball practices a month (should there be a conflict) to attend this Monday advanced location. Or the kids can attend some other pwa sessions, Or the Thursday ultimate location at my facility in Holt, to stay active on the mat. It's up to the parents. We too juggle with getting our kids to their paid for sports, and mixing in the recreational ones. But I can't have people quit this 8 months a year, and have kids that love wrestling travel to practice, only to see that the kids they train with have quit and won't be back until next year. This won't work, and isn't allowed.
My loyalty is to the kids that want to be great at wrestling, and that comes first.
Bottom line...if wrestling is your sons favorite sport, it's an easy call. If he is ready for the season to be over, or is on a traveling baseball team and that is his main sport, then he should stick with the pwa program.

If you are uncertain if your son is ready, please email me and I'll give you my honest opinion. If I ask you to wait 6 months, don't get offended. The last thing I want is for this session to turn into a pwa teaching session. And if I have 10 kids in there who struggle keeping up, it's not fun for them either, nor is it good for their psyche.

So we will start up March 5th, and initially the sessions will run from 6:30-9pm. Brett Delich will run the majority of the sessions, and in time I think this is going to be a great location and help the kids prepare for Hs and even college. Hopefully I will get some of the better HS kids involved as well, we will see.

Thanks.

Potential schedule Come March/April

Monday: Lees Summit West
Basehor linwood HS (ultimate)
Junction City KS

Tues: Holt Mo
Blue Valley North HS
Savannah Mo (probably will be closed, as it has 4 kids in it)
Ellis HS, near Hays KS

Wed: Holton KS
Mill Valley HS

Thurs: Holt Mo (Ultimate)

Location wise, I know many people who live 2 hours from my Holt location will be excited about this, as it'll cut 2 hours off their drive time each week. I also feel that many people are close enough to a couple of the locations that they don't have to quit 6-8 months a year due to other sports, and can attend other locations that are doable with drive time.