Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: sportsfan02] #249895 03/13/18 03:39 AM
Pelland Offline
Wow .... kids were able to jockey weight classes in some districts after kids in other districts were locked in and brackets released to the public? Surely not?

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Pelland] #249901 03/13/18 02:37 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
That, and AFTER the seeding meetings at districts, kids would not make weight on purpose, to move into what they deemed an easier bracket. Try changing weights the morning of regionals in HS, I don't believe you'll be allowed to do it. smile

Before long there will be no rules.........

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: doug747] #249906 03/13/18 03:29 PM
W
whitewolf490 Offline
W
My question, is this allowed at State?....NOPE....you don't make weight, you don't wrestle. End of season. once your locked in, your locked in.....no changes. You have the option to make ANY changes up the day before seeding. If parents can't monitor their kids weight during that time and do the right thing, then it's on them.
Time to stop accommodating the lazy because they can't control themselves. been plenty of time all season to decide this. Our plan was to wrestle 140 until subs then drop to 130, but he couldn't hold 130 so we stayed at 140. Doing the right thing..

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: whitewolf490] #249911 03/13/18 05:36 PM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
We have become soft

Letting kids move up a weight after seeding meeting is ridiculous. A huge part of wrestling is about nutrition and maintaining weight. Maybe a first year novice tournament but not a State qualifier.

If you are after a State medal then work for it. If you need to dodge brackets then did you really accomplish wrestling growth.

It goes back to club directors and coaches. Stop allowing your kids to have it easy. When they get to the next stage they will quit because it is too hard. Stop babying kids to keep them out. High school coaches would appreciate hard workers over kids medal winners every day of the week.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: jerry davis] #249912 03/13/18 06:24 PM
B
Bigfishe Offline
B
Districts all held same weekend.

Have a non-team or club affiliated member of district leadership have only wrestler tourney entry visibility across all districts.

Change District dates to Sundays.
weigh-in's Saturday

Blind wrestler List
Blind matrix.

Allow bump up from registered weight at weigh in. kids grow...who knew.

Don't release list until all wrestlers that are entered have weighed

Allow coaches a few hours for seeding preparation to eval head to heads etc...

Are the districts able to pull data that shows
initial registered weight, against invoice changes, vs actual weight wrestled?
Would be interesting to see how much weight class jumping up and down there truly is.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: jerry davis] #249917 03/13/18 08:17 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: jerry davis
We have become soft

Letting kids move up a weight after seeding meeting is ridiculous. A huge part of wrestling is about nutrition and maintaining weight. Maybe a first year novice tournament but not a State qualifier.

If you are after a State medal then work for it. If you need to dodge brackets then did you really accomplish wrestling growth.

It goes back to club directors and coaches. Stop allowing your kids to have it easy. When they get to the next stage they will quit because it is too hard. Stop babying kids to keep them out. High school coaches would appreciate hard workers over kids medal winners every day of the week.

I will agree with everything with the exception of maintaining weight. This shouldn't be focal point. This is highlighting one of the most negative areas sited by the general public about our sport...cutting weight. If a kid can't make weight and bumps up, who cares? If they are dodging opponents, WHO CARES, it will ultimately work against them but they darn sure aren't hurting anyone else. After qualifying I am adamantly for competing at the same weight as districts to maintain order but who cares what weight anyone wrestles at districts? You should worry only about yourself and no one else.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Bigfishe] #249918 03/13/18 08:19 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Bigfishe
Districts all held same weekend.

Have a non-team or club affiliated member of district leadership have only wrestler tourney entry visibility across all districts.

Change District dates to Sundays.
weigh-in's Saturday

Blind wrestler List
Blind matrix.

Allow bump up from registered weight at weigh in. kids grow...who knew.

Don't release list until all wrestlers that are entered have weighed

Allow coaches a few hours for seeding preparation to eval head to heads etc...

Are the districts able to pull data that shows
initial registered weight, against invoice changes, vs actual weight wrestled?
Would be interesting to see how much weight class jumping up and down there truly is.

Is this not America?? Transparency should be embraced. WHO CARES HOW MUCH WEIGHT CLASS JUMPING THERE IS??? IF YOU DO, WHY??

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Cokeley] #249921 03/13/18 08:44 PM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
The key was maintaining not cutting. I am a parent that didn’t cut my sons weight. I refused to have him lose weight to win matches.

Matter of fact my son went from 96lbs last year to 134 lbs this year. He weighs between 128 -131 on any giving Monday. So he went 132 for middle school. He was small for the middle school state tourney but he didn’t cut weight. He will have 4 years of it starting freshman year.

I consider maintaining weight or losing weight by eating healthy and exercising. Not by starving and sweat boxes.

Last edited by jerry davis; 03/13/18 08:44 PM.
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Cokeley] #249925 03/14/18 01:17 AM
W
whitewolf490 Offline
W
Not even sure why we have seeding meetings. Go based off of the trackwrestling ranking. That's how it ends up being set up most the time anyways. Upsets happen and will happen and let the kids wrestle through it. The only thing I can think of is maybe setting the bracket if there is more than 1 kid from a club, then TRY and put them on opposite sides of the bracket.
The best will come out on top anyways at the end.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: whitewolf490] #249927 03/14/18 02:27 AM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
This is absurd. We have bylaws that clearly state that once the seeding meeting starts, no changes or additions are allowed.

Article II Qualifying State Tournaments
(3) SEEDING MEETINGS - At the seeding meeting, weight or age corrections or scratches may be
made in all age groups, including walk-on wrestlers, prior to the start of seeding the wrestlers
without requiring a penalty fee. Additional entries may be made in writing one hour prior to
the published start time of the seeding meeting, but any such entrant must pay a penalty fee.
Once the seeding starts, no changes or additions will be allowed except in the case of clerical
errors by the tournament director.

Page 25 of 26 Approved October 8, 2017

The last line states it all. No one can move or be added to any weight class after the seeding meeting. So if that was allowed in District 2 by District leadership, they are in violation of the Qualifying State Tournament bylaws that are mentioned above.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #249929 03/14/18 09:29 AM
D
ddietrich Offline
D
The seeding meeting in my opinion isn’t a problem but having kids show up to weigh ins over weight and getting bumped up to the next weight class is a joke.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #249931 03/14/18 10:48 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: R. Scott Edwards
So if that was allowed in District 2 by District leadership, they are in violation of the Qualifying State Tournament bylaws that are mentioned above.

The District leadership is not in violation however the District Director may be. The two Assistant Directors are very honorable and capable individuals.

At the October 2016 State Body Meeting, the body approved the following: "Eliminate the requirement that each District establish a deadline prior to the seeding meeting after which no additional entries shall be made."

Admittedly, the District Director may have played played fast and loose with his interpretation of the rule, however the goal of the Director is to promote wrestling, not weight cutting.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Cokeley] #249933 03/14/18 11:01 AM
B
Bigfishe Offline
B
I don't really care about the numbers, other then for the curiosity of it, seems everyone is up in arms about it. I just find it interesting if the scenario that everyone describes is as rampant as a few think.

My original suggestions were simply to offer a possible remedy for what people are up in arms about trying to manipulate brackets, weights and dodging, due to the way things currently are.

I don't care one way or the other, wrestle the kids at what they spent the year wrestling if possible.

Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Is this not America?? Transparency should be embraced. WHO CARES HOW MUCH WEIGHT CLASS JUMPING THERE IS??? IF YOU DO, WHY??

[/quote]

Last edited by Bigfishe; 03/14/18 11:12 AM.
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: RichardDSalyer] #249950 03/14/18 09:49 PM
W
Wrasslin Dad Offline OP
OP Offline
W
[quote=RichardD "Eliminate the requirement that each District establish a deadline prior to the seeding meeting after which no additional entries shall be made."

Admittedly, the District Director may have played played fast and loose with his interpretation of the rule, however the goal of the Director is to promote wrestling, not weight cutting.
[/quote]

The key word is "prior" to seeding meeting starting. And bumping wrestlers up in weight in a state series is promoting that a wrestler parent or coach don't have to follow the by laws.

Last edited by Wrasslin Dad; 03/14/18 09:50 PM.
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Wrasslin Dad] #249953 03/14/18 11:28 PM
J
John Johnson2 Offline
J
Will is completely right. Who cares. The only ones who really care are the ones who's kid now has a harder weight class. Sorry, it happens.

Kids move weights for a number of reasons, who are we to decide they are wrong. With the way we do weigh ins in Kansas, maybe some of these kids have never really made weight, and now their parents see they are not going to..... Learned along time ago, you should wrestle the weight that is right for you.

And, on the rules. Do your seeding meeting after Friday night weigh ins. No problem.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: John Johnson2] #249956 03/14/18 11:58 PM
W
Wrasslin Dad Offline OP
OP Offline
W
The problem is you got kids that were told they have to make the weight you signed up for or don't wrestle. Then come to find out kids were being allowed to bump up. I mean rules are rules they should apply to everyone.

Last edited by Wrasslin Dad; 03/14/18 11:58 PM.
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Wrasslin Dad] #249960 03/15/18 02:34 AM
J
John Johnson2 Offline
J
That is a different issue. Rules should be the same for everyone.

Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: Wrasslin Dad] #249962 03/15/18 09:56 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Wrasslin Dad
The problem is you got kids that were told they have to make the weight you signed up for or don't wrestle. Then come to find out kids were being allowed to bump up. I mean rules are rules they should apply to everyone.

Vince:

The real issue is in March 2015 you had a wrestler attempting to change weight classifications after the deadline, which at that time was not allowed. Now you have the opportunity to complain. That was three (3) years ago!

What I do know is your coach did not inform you "they have to make the weight you signed up for or don't wrestle." In District 2, the same rules did apply to everyone. How Districts 1, 3 and 4 run their weigh-in does not concern me!

This matter was brought up and discussed at the seeding meeting. All in attendance at the seeding meeting were aware the practice would be allowed. Were you in attendance at the seeding meeting?

I am in complete agreement with Mr. Eck, Davis and Dietrich and believe a child should make weight. My children always made weight or did not compete.

I have witnessed too many overzealous parents sign there children up for a weight classification the child cannot make and hope that by starving and running the child, the wrestler will make weight.

Do I want to be a party to what today may be considered a form of child abuse or take the responsible action and allow the child to compete and bump up a weight classification. I have witnessed parents at the weigh-in, after the child has not made weight, force the child to run, take laxatives, induce vomiting, have the child wear thermal undergarments and vinyl warm ups under the sweat pants and shirt, and in two (2) instances the parent(s) tested all the scales in the room to find the "light" scale. I told a parent to get off the scales and received a telephone call from the team coach berating me, which if you know me, does not set well, unless of course it is from my very lovely wife!

Next year I will propose a Friday afternoon weigh-in, seed the tournament on Friday evening after weigh-in, and wrestle on Saturday.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: RichardDSalyer] #249965 03/15/18 11:39 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Vince:

The purpose of your complaint became much clearer after viewing the 12U 120 lb. bracket.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: bumping up in weight at districts [Re: RichardDSalyer] #249966 03/15/18 11:52 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
The Friday afternoon weigh in, with seeding AFTER weigh ins, will take care of the problem of kids running up to an "easier" weight because they know who is at each weight.

I still say we tell them to make weight or don't wrestle. Mom and Dad will stop pushing them to weights they can NOT make, if we scratch them one time. It's called tough love. And we don't hand enough of it out nowadays.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)