Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC #249975 03/15/18 09:48 PM
T
T Evans Offline OP
OP Offline
T
For anyone who knows Coach Rich he has suddenly passed away today of a heart attack.

Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family, friends, club and all the wrestlers he has coached and helped over the years.

Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: T Evans] #249979 03/15/18 11:08 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Sad news, Rich was a wonderful guy. Prayers.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: Brent Lane] #249983 03/16/18 03:13 AM
K
KMcCall Offline
K
Very sad news.

Rich was a truly great guy that gave everything he had to make the kids in his club have a better chance to succeed!

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Kevin McCall
Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: KMcCall] #249988 03/16/18 11:55 AM
K
Kpm Offline
K
So Sad!

I had just pointed him out to my wife this past weekend at districts saying what a positive influence he has made on the kids of Kansas City.

He will be missed.

Last edited by Kpm; 03/16/18 12:18 PM.
Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: Kpm] #249989 03/16/18 12:02 PM
M
Marc Erickson Offline
M
There are so many wonderful people in youth wrestling who devote their time and energy to better the lives of kids. Rich was truly unique in the way he reached kids. Below is my post from Facebook.

My good friend, Rich Nitsch, passed away unexpectedly today. I don't often post on Facebook, but thought this was the perfect forum to share the story of an amazing man. Rich was a loving husband and a devoted and proud father. We coached together at the Kansas City (Youth) Wrestling Club, where he coached after retiring from the FBI. Rich was the most selfless person I ever met. He loved wrestling, but he mostly loved helping kids. He saw wrestling as a way for kids to learn invaluable lessons like working hard and belonging to a team. He was extraordinarily generous with his time and money to make sure that every kid could experience the best that wrestling had to offer. Rich paid for kids to join our team, bought their shoes, paid for them to go to tournaments, drove them to practice, drove them to tournaments and then took them out to pizza afterwards. Before joining the FBI, Rich had been a high school coach in Manhattan, Topeka and Olathe. As a high school coach, Rich coached state champions, national champions and even a world champion (Melvin Douglas). Despite those successes, Rich derived as much pride helping teach a kid who never won a match the value of getting up off the mat and practicing to get better. Rich was in the process of setting up tutoring for his middle school wrestlers at Indian Hills to help them succeed in the classroom. Of course, Rich organized the whole thing and was going to pay for it himself. At banquets, Rich would give each wrestler a commemorative FBI coin. He would tell them to carry the coin with them in their pocket and rub it during a test or speech to remind themselves of how much hard work they had put in to get where they are. The kids' eyes would always light up when they received their own coin. Rich told me that the coins were meaningful to the kids because they looked official. I knew that the coins were meaningful to the kids because they came from a man who loved them and believed in them. My son was blessed to have Rich as his coach and I was blessed to have Rich as a friend. Rich will be deeply missed by all who were lucky enough to have him in their lives.

Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: Marc Erickson] #249996 03/16/18 05:38 PM
usawks1 Offline
... too soon my friend, RIP.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: usawks1] #250008 03/17/18 04:32 PM
A
Acbarker3 Offline
A
Coach Nitsch was my coach his last year at Manhattan High before he joined the FBI. He was tough-as-nails and I quit on him twice . . . the second time as a sophomore who had just made Varsity. I was struggling in school and life and it was easy to quit. He met me in the hallway and left no doubt about how he felt about my decision. He apologized a few days later but I knew that I had let him down and our relationship would never be the same.

Late in my junior year, I walked past his office near the locker room and saw a poster on the wall labelled in bright red sharpie--QUITTERS . My name was the first on the list. I was mad as hell because it hurt and it was true. As a senior, I was still angry and embarrassed and I went out just to prove a point to him. He didn't say a word to me for the first week of practice. When we had wrestle-offs, I beat his varsity heavy weight from the year before and took our only State Champion that year to overtime (where he promptly pinned me). I worked harder than I ever had and I kept looking to Coach to get any feedback . . . and he kept looking at me, waiting for me to quit. The longer I stuck it out, the more he opened up to me. He was one of the funniest people I have ever been around and he could use humor to take the pressure off in any situation. Before big matches, when other coaches were pumping up their wrestlers . . . he would most often be making fun of someone’s singlet or hair.

About half way through the season he came up behind me during a line-up for a dual, he put his hands on my shoulders and whispered "I am proud of you . . . " It was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and he was giving me a chance to feel good about myself again.

After Regionals, he had to leave to begin his training and we had a team meeting to say goodbye. The whole team broke down and all of us were sobbing. I remember that Nitsch kept it together and made eye contact with everyone. I can’t remember a more meaningful or emotional good bye in my life and I am sure my teammates feel the same. When I was finished dressing and was at my locker alone he came back in and shook my hand. I tried to tell him how sorry I was that I quit on him. He listened to me and told me that didn’t matter now, that he was still proud of me and that it meant a lot to him that I had the courage to come back out. It was an extraordinary moment in my life.

Coach Nitsch never made it easy. He was intense and demanding, but his heart was so big and he could make you laugh so hard that you would forget about the pain of practice or a loss. He was never shy to share his expectations for you . . . and they were always high. There is no greater gift you can give to a young person than that.

I know that season changed my life. If you can find success in one thing, you can find it in others. That is what our sport is really about and Coach was a big part of teaching me that. I suspect now that he always knew I was walking past his office, looking for a way back in . . . and I am so grateful to him for leaving that door open.

God Bless you Coach!

A.C. Barker
MHS Heavyweight

Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: Acbarker3] #250009 03/17/18 05:27 PM
usawks1 Offline
... great testimonial.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: usawks1] #250019 03/19/18 12:05 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: smokeycabin] #250023 03/19/18 11:36 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

www.KANSASCITYWRESTLINGCLUB.COM/

COACH RICH NITSCH IN MEMORIAM

It is with great sadness that we have to announce the unexpected passing of our beloved coach and friend, Rich Nitsch. Rich was a loving husband and a devoted and proud father. Rich started coaching at the Kansas City Wrestling Club after retiring from the FBI. Rich was the most selfless person I ever met. He loved wrestling, but he mostly loved helping kids. He saw wrestling as a way for kids to learn invaluable lessons like working hard and belonging to a team. He was extraordinarily generous with his time and money to make sure that every kid could experience the best that wrestling had to offer. Rich paid for kids to join our team, bought their shoes, paid for them to go to tournaments, drove them to practice, drove them to tournaments and then took them out to pizza afterwards. Before joining the FBI, Rich had been a high school coach in Manhattan, Topeka and Olathe. As a high school coach, Rich coached state champions, national champions and even a world champion (Melvin Douglas). Despite those successes, Rich derived as much pride helping teach a kid who never won a match the value of getting up off the mat and practicing to get better. Rich was always the most enthusiastic supporter of all of our kids. Each wrestler has a story of how Rich supported and encouraged them. Rich was in the process of setting up tutoring for his middle school wrestlers at Indian Hills to help them succeed in the classroom. Of course, Rich organized the whole thing and was going to pay for it himself. At banquets, Rich would give each wrestler a commemorative FBI coin. He would tell them to carry the coin with them in their pocket and rub it during a test or speech to remind themselves of how much hard work they had put in to get where they are. The kids' eyes would always light up when they received their own coin. Rich told me that the coins were meaningful to the kids because they looked official. I knew that the coins were meaningful to the kids because they came from a man who loved them and believed in them. All of our kids, including my own son, were blessed to have Rich as their coach and we were all blessed to have Rich as a friend. Rich will be deeply missed by all who were lucky enough to have him in their lives.

Re: Coach Rich Nitsch of KCKWC [Re: smokeycabin] #250030 03/19/18 08:31 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/kansas-city-mo/richard-nitsch-7794219

OBITUARY
Richard Eugene Nitsch
JANUARY 12, 1954 – MARCH 15, 2018
Obituary of Richard Eugene Nitsch
Richard “Rich” Eugene Nitsch, 64, died unexpectedly on March 15, 2018 at Research Medical Center.
A native Kansan, Rich was born in Emporia, grew up in Salina, and resided in Leawood. He earned degrees from Emporia State University and Kansas State University.

Energetic, passionate, and hard-working, Rich entered the FBI after teaching high school history for 11 years. As a Special Agent, he attained the distinguished rank of Certified Intelligence Officer. After retiring from a 24 year career with the FBI.

Rich resumed working both as a federal contractor for the Bureau and as an educator. Holding a Doctorate in Education from Arizona State University, Rich taught online undergraduate and graduate level courses in Criminal Justice and Intelligence.

Larger than life aptly describes Rich. He was a loyal and caring man who always put others before himself. Rich touched hundreds of lives, provided a role model for many young people, and belonged to Leawood Baptist Church. He served on the Band Boosters Board at Shawnee Mission East where his daughter, Natalie, is a drum major. Rich was frequently seen driving his 1955 Thunderbird, smiling and waving behind the wheel.

Through coaching and officiating, Rich combined his lifelong passion for wrestling and devotion to helping youth. Known as Coach too many, including wrestlers at Indian Hills Middle School and a two-time Olympian and World Champion, Rich organized numerous wrestling camps and actively participated in the Kansas City Wrestling Club.

A cheerful and dedicated husband, father, grandfather, and brother, Rich loved his family dearly and took great pride in their accomplishments. He brought much joy, humor, and laughter into their lives, as well as those in his extended family and circle of friends. Rich was preceded in death by his parents, Oscar and Millie, and older brother Wayne. He is survived by his wife, Susan Schillie Nitsch, daughter Natalie, and twin sons Justin “Son A” (wife Casie) and Chad “Son B” (husband Chris) who affectionately called their Dad “Bop.” Rich is also survived by his grandchildren Adalyn and Emmett, brothers Darrell, Danny, and Russell, best friend Chip Barger, and Buddy, his beloved Basset Hound.

The family will host a Celebration of Life for Rich at the home on Friday, March 23rd, from 4-6 pm. Everyone who loved Rich is invited. So that’s everyone who knew Rich. The atmosphere will be upbeat, and the celebration will be held in the backyard. Dress is casual.

To honor Rich’s legacy, the Kansas City Wrestling Club has established the Rich Nitsch Wrestling Scholarship Fund to give all future wrestlers the opportunity to join the Club. Contributions may be sent to the Rich Nitsch Wrestling Scholarship Fund c/o Kansas City Wrestling Club, 9030 High Drive, Leawood, KS 66206.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 03/19/18 08:32 PM.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)