Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
STUDS #252468 02/12/19 07:01 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We've all seen it....a high schooler performing a nearly superhuman feat on the mat or doing something that defies all logic in the face of adversity...ITT post about your studs and their studly accomplishments. I'll start.

Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society: Stud #1: Austin Fager

Fager, the #2-ranked freshman at 145, was wrestling a very tough Matt Cutshall from Topeka High in the Centennial League finals on February 2nd. 18 seconds into the match Fager shoots a double and lifts and delivers. The force of the delivery was so great that it broke Fager's jaw. He uses 1:20 of injury time, then it was switched over to blood time because the jaw bone perforated the inside of his mouth and he was spitting out blood by the cupful. The break was not obvious, and the athletic trainer performed all of the on-site tests and didn't believe at the time that there was a fracture. He asked Austin, "do you think you can go?" Austin replied, "we've got a team championship to win. Let's go get this money." Then he went out and wrestled for 2 and a half more minutes before securing a fall and promptly heading to the emergency room. His jaw is now wired shut and his season is over, but he ended as a champion. STUD.

(click the dropbox link below if you want to see a gross x-ray pic)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bwrkcnb2ekps2i/fager%20jaw.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by DamonParker; 02/12/19 07:18 PM. Reason: because i can't spell

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252469 02/12/19 08:22 PM
Coach Malay Offline
Wow!!!! Thats takes some heart. Love it!!!

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252470 02/12/19 08:24 PM
E
EHSNews Offline
E
I have watched Austin wrestle before. Thought he was a stud even before I read this post. After reading this...Wow...unbelievable! I wish he was in 321A this would be a huge story for our 321A state wrestling website.

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252473 02/13/19 01:03 AM
R
Raddad Offline
R
I second the STUD vote. Wow, awesome share and what an animal! Thank you!

Jason L. Radke
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252475 02/13/19 03:32 AM
Chase Offline
Super stud

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252480 02/13/19 03:31 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Love that story!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252483 02/13/19 04:38 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
You know what's crazy? Displays of studliness are contagious. After the Fager incident, the rest of our guys stepped up their studliness quotient.
Stud submission number 2: Tavis Calhoon

At the JV Super Bowl last weekend in Burlington, Tavis Calhoon was down 6-2 with 38 seconds left from the neutral position. He shoots a double and his nose breaks. Uses up 4:35 of blood time. Official has him go in the corner and change singlets. He's begging me to let him finish the match, and I'm like, "dude, you're down by 4 with 38 seconds left and a broken nose at a JV meet. We should probably throw in the towel on this one." He continues to plead, so we gave him the green light. Goes out and throws the dude for 5 and wins 7-6.

At some point it's like "hey guys, appreciate the toughness, but let's stop breaking our own bones"

click on this dropbox link for a funny pic of broken-nose tavis

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/zftg1ocu6...aircut%20and%20a%20new%20schnoz.JPG?dl=0[/img]

Last edited by DamonParker; 02/14/19 05:57 AM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252486 02/13/19 05:38 PM
Coach Malay Offline
I have a decent story. Not quite as good as yours though Coach Parker. At the begining of wrestling, our JV HWT limped every once in a while so we asked him whats wrong. He said "nothing, im fine. It's just sore" We asked how long it had been hurting, he said since the last football game. I figured he rolled it and i told him to ice it after practice. His mom is a PT and made him go get it checked out a couple weeks later. He never complained once since that day even though i could tell it bothered him. Find out ot is fractured and he played a whole football game and wrestled in practice on it for 2 weeks without complaing. He just got his boot off last week. Got the green light to resume practice and has been going as much as we will let him, and he has nothing to work for right now since he is JV. Kid is tough as nails!!

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: STUDS [Re: Coach Malay] #252489 02/13/19 06:39 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
CERTIFIED STUD

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252491 02/14/19 12:45 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
These are great! Good stuff. Stories like this make the sport what it is.

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252494 02/14/19 02:45 PM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
Wow! Fager is a certified STUD.

We've got a STUD of our own at Olathe South. Freshmen Blake Jouret lost in double OT to Stoker of Olathe North in the 170 semifinals at the Sunflower League tournament. He was favoring his ankle after the match so we had the trainer evaluate him. Thinking it was just a sprain, we taped it up and Blake decided to give it a go. He then beat a quality opponent from Gardner in the consolation semis before losing 1-0 to Poritt from SMW for 3rd. The next morning, Blake's ankle was the size of a grapefruit. Xray's revealed a fracture, they put him in a splint, gave him some crutches and placed him on the shelf for 6 weeks.

His season may have been cut short, but we are so incredibly proud of Blake Jouret. He's a 14 year old freshmen who held his own at a man's weight all season. He wrestled half the season with a separated shoulder and gutted out his final two matches on a broken ankle. What a Warrior!

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: STUDS [Re: Coach Fitz] #252495 02/14/19 03:58 PM
Schultes Offline
Originally Posted by Coach Fitz
Wow! Fager is a certified STUD.

We've got a STUD of our own at Olathe South. Freshmen Blake Jouret lost in double OT to Stoker of Olathe North in the 170 semifinals at the Sunflower League tournament. He was favoring his ankle after the match so we had the trainer evaluate him. Thinking it was just a sprain, we taped it up and Blake decided to give it a go. He then beat a quality opponent from Gardner in the consolation semis before losing 1-0 to Poritt from SMW for 3rd. The next morning, Blake's ankle was the size of a grapefruit. Xray's revealed a fracture, they put him in a splint, gave him some crutches and placed him on the shelf for 6 weeks.

His season may have been cut short, but we are so incredibly proud of Blake Jouret. He's a 14 year old freshmen who held his own at a man's weight all season. He wrestled half the season with a separated shoulder and gutted out his final two matches on a broken ankle. What a Warrior!

I would say that definitely certifies him.

The more I train, the luckier I get. - Renzo Gracie
Re: STUDS [Re: Schultes] #252502 02/14/19 09:06 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Jouret=confirmed stud.

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252508 02/16/19 01:52 AM
Prant Garker Offline
I have served on the STUD High Council for the last eight years and can confirm that all the guys listed thus far have been come before our august body and been certified as STUDS.

Very excited to hear about more studly accomplishments, especially those of wrestlers who are getting 4.0s (STUDs), are first chairs of their section in band or orchestra (STUD/STUD), buddying up with kids at their school who need buddies (STUDs), etc.

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252509 02/16/19 02:39 AM
usawks1 Offline
(welcome back)

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: STUDS [Re: Prant Garker] #252512 02/16/19 04:24 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
Prant,
Where might “Spelling Bee” champ fall on the Stud matrix?

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252524 02/17/19 02:46 AM
Chase Offline
Jilka,

Where might beating cancers ass (pun intended) land on the stud scale?

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252526 02/17/19 06:54 AM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
***Disclaimer: as thread starter I reserve the right to shameless self-promotion of my own studs.***

The fable of the broken jaw continues to grow....Fager's backup, Cole Wells, came into the Garden City Deathgauntlet Chew-Your-Face-Off West Regional with nothing but a 6-4 varsity record and a great attitude. As a lowly 9-seed, he wins his first match, then upsets the 4-seed, then knocked off the 1-seed to make the finals, ultimately to lose in the finals to the #1 ranked wrestler in the state.

My only beef with an otherwise flawlessly-run tournament in a great facility was that the announcer for some reason decided against reading Cole's finalist bio sheet. For "career accomplishments" Cole listed "Austin Fager's backup and John Vincent's practice partner." All we got was, "his opponent....is Cole Wells."

Plus, Prant would be happy to hear that he's an honor roll student and an actual Eagle Scout. No confirmation needed.....STUD.

Stud status also goes to coaches Duane Zlatnik, Jordan Short, and Sabastion Cuffel, who safely delivered our kids back to Topeka in 2001 rear-wheel drive Chevy vans after a 7 1/2 hour drive at 48mph through freezing rain. STUDS.

Last edited by DamonParker; 02/17/19 07:06 AM. Reason: i forgot a hyphen and grammar is everything

Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252552 02/18/19 04:36 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Originally Posted by DamonParker
***Disclaimer: as thread starter I reserve the right to shameless self-promotion of my own studs.***

The fable of the broken jaw continues to grow....Fager's backup, Cole Wells, came into the Garden City Deathgauntlet Chew-Your-Face-Off West Regional with nothing but a 6-4 varsity record and a great attitude. As a lowly 9-seed, he wins his first match, then upsets the 4-seed, then knocked off the 1-seed to make the finals, ultimately to lose in the finals to the #1 ranked wrestler in the state.

My only beef with an otherwise flawlessly-run tournament in a great facility was that the announcer for some reason decided against reading Cole's finalist bio sheet. For "career accomplishments" Cole listed "Austin Fager's backup and John Vincent's practice partner." All we got was, "his opponent....is Cole Wells."

Plus, Prant would be happy to hear that he's an honor roll student and an actual Eagle Scout. No confirmation needed.....STUD.

Stud status also goes to coaches Duane Zlatnik, Jordan Short, and Sabastion Cuffel, who safely delivered our kids back to Topeka in 2001 rear-wheel drive Chevy vans after a 7 1/2 hour drive at 48mph through freezing rain. STUDS.

White knuckles be damned, that is studly in and of it self. Congrats.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: STUDS [Re: DamonParker] #252554 02/18/19 05:16 PM
O
objective Offline
O
I guess I got old and soft. I am all for kids being tough. Some wimp out for a hang nail but when jv kids with broken bones are wrestling, I think coaches are negligent in the most important obligation. To look out for the kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 135 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)