Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Let's talk fashion. #252518 02/16/19 10:47 PM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
Now is the time of year when wrestling fans get to see teams from all over the state and focus on what really matters: fashion.

This is the thread to discuss those teams that look increds out there on the mat, and those that need to consider new singlets for next year. I'll be updating the lists below based on submissions from other posters and the fashion exhibited next week at state. Feel free to submit nominations below.

BEST DRESSED List:
-Dodge City whites--if they didn't have the demon on the back, this might be the perfect singlet.
-Derby finals singlets--bold, simple, and very on brand. And since all Derby wrestlers only belong to like 3 or 4 families total, I bet they're wearing the same singlets their grandparents wore.
-Wichita South blues--I'd like them even more if the blue was flatter, but the white trim is very classy.

zOMG NO WAY List:
-Manhattan plaids--you knew you were going on here, Hat Town. You're a great program and I love you, but those plaids don't even deserve to be passed down to the JV. Burn these jerseys in the incinerator that probably exists in F Hall and bury the ashes in an unmarked grave behind the zoo lot.
-Any camo--I didn't see any at the Garden City regional, but all teams are on notice. So help me, if I see camo at state next week, you WILL rocket to the top of this list.
-Gardner Edgerton (I think) flag singlets--the singlets themselves are fine, but I love Old Glory as much as the next patriot and I think it's a breach of flag etiquette to put an American flag that large on an athletic uniform.

PLEASE NOTE--even if you didn't make the list at regionals, your team could still be elevated or demoted to either list at state.
Looking forward to adding some East and 5/4/3/2/1A teams next week. Also willing to add best/worst-dressed coaches.

Post your nominations for either list below. (Obv as the thread starter and fashion expert, I am the ultimate arbiter of the list.)

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252523 02/17/19 02:44 AM
Chase Offline
Prant, I have to disagree with you on one stance. Gob Bonzalez (so hot right now) and the Hat town crew are absolutely slaying the singlet game in those plaids! #classy

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252525 02/17/19 05:46 AM
B
Bubba_Wilson_Dad Offline
B
I’m with Chase on this . Sorry Prant, Manhattan will rockin the #Plaids# again next week! #FashionKillers

Glenn Wilson
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Bubba_Wilson_Dad] #252539 02/17/19 11:59 PM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
Chase, you are a man of distinction. We have been message board compadres for a long time, and I have a lot of respect for your banter.

But I can say without a doubt that this is your worst take of all time.

Hat Town is as impressive as ever. Gob Bonzo has the team rolling as always. But you, I, and the American people know that those plaids are Woof City, USA. They were submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society and DENIED, hardcore.

As the judge and jury, I declare that the Hat Town Plaids (HTPs) will remain on the zOMG NO WAY list until further notice.

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252541 02/18/19 02:37 AM
Ryan Jilka Offline
Chase, I’m sorry, but you were dead wrong. The only way I would ever see Manhattan pulling off the plaid singlet is:
1. If plaid had anything to do with Native American culture.
2. If they were 100% old school wool
3. Manhattan was actually Highland Park

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252549 02/18/19 05:20 AM
Chase Offline
Dear Prant/Jilka,

One I consider a brother, a forum brother if you will. The other my mat mentor. Have you considered who else wears the plush plaid with pride?

The answer?
LUMBERJACKS

*mic drop*

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252550 02/18/19 10:11 AM
in it to win it Offline

Too bad photos aren't allowed frown

In it to win it.
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252559 02/18/19 09:44 PM
J
JCBrown Offline
J
Hill City had some slick finals singlets at the WaKeeney regional

Curtis Brown
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: JCBrown] #252568 02/19/19 04:00 AM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
Props to JCBrown for making a suggestion. I did a quick search for those Hill City singlets and couldn't find them. Care to describe them?

In my search for the Hill City singlets, I noticed that Ruke Lichard from Riley County was sporting a nice navy (black?) singlet with a giant RC in his finals match. I'm not sure if it rises to the level of BEST DRESSED, but that singlet is definitely an Honorable Mention contender. In my opinion, RCHS would look very studly in a predominantly baby blue singlet. Can anyone confirm if something like that exists?

I also only saw it from a distance from the camera angle, but I think it was a navy and red Wellington singlet that looked like it could be a BEST DRESSED HM contender as well.

I also happened to see a kid in an Ellis singlet that isn't on the zOMG NO WAY list, but is probably an Honorable Mention zOMG NO WAY. it was red and yellow and pretty ladder-ey.

I'm very excited to add schools to all lists starting on Friday and Saturday.

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252570 02/19/19 02:23 PM
J
JCBrown Offline
J
Hill city's singlet is white with black trim, has a pheasant on the right thigh, Ringnecks in black lettering in the back with a pheasant coming out of the lettering and Hill City on the front written in some tribal lettering. I think it also has an outline of a pheasant in the background of the singlet on the back in grey. It is different from what I saw at WaKeeney this weekend. Their unique mascot helps too.

Curtis Brown
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: JCBrown] #252572 02/19/19 03:02 PM
Coach Samson Offline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFE26gO044

Scroll to 5:50:09 to view said singlets.

Jeremy Samson
Trego Community High School AD
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252584 02/20/19 03:26 AM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't see the singlets quite well enough to make a determination on the BEST DRESSED due to the split screen, but 1000 Prant Points to BCJrown and Soach Camson for the description and the research. They sound very classy, and I had no idea there was a school called the Ringnecks.

In my search to find the singlets, I also discovered that the MCL has teams called the Ringnecks, Railroaders, Plainsmen, Monarchs, and Roosters. That is a murderer's row of awesome team nicknames.

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252645 02/23/19 03:08 AM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles to see if there have been any updates to the BEST DRESSED or zOMG NO WAY lists. Well, my friends, you're in luck. New additions will be in italics.

BEST DRESSED List:
-Dodge City whites--if they didn't have the demon on the back, this might be the perfect singlet.
-Derby finals singlets--bold, simple, and very on brand. And since all Derby wrestlers only belong to like 3 or 4 families total, I bet they're wearing the same singlets their grandparents wore.
-Wichita South blues--I'd like them even more if the blue was flatter, but the white trim is very classy.
[i]-Dodge City reds--they're just so crisp. I like the white w/ red writing better than the red w/ white writing, but the DC on the back of the reds is better than the demon on the whites. Either way, unless something crazy comes to my attention tomorrow, Dodge City wins the Grand State BEST DRESSED title.
-Campus grays--simple. Classic. Clean. The flat gray is a nice touch. This singlet has a Terminator (T800) vibe, which is obviously a big plus.[/i]

zOMG NO WAY List:
-I TOLD YOU IF I SAW CAMO YOU WOULD ROCKET TO THE TOP OF THIS LIST.
- Blue Valley, I'm looking at you first and foremost with your camo stolen straight out of the movie Platoon. You don't look like soldiers. You don't look like hunters. You look like navy and yellow Holsteins.
-Derby and Olathe North, your digicam also vaults you to the stratosphere of the zOMG NO WAY list. I think North's is worse, but I saw it less than Derby's today. You're both proud programs, splurge on some non-camo singlets. And if you want to model your singlets after our fine military, may I suggest a light blue sash similar to that worn by George Washington against the redcoats.

-Manhattan plaids--you knew you were going on here, Hat Town. You're a great program and I love you, but those plaids don't even deserve to be passed down to the JV. Burn these jerseys in the incinerator that probably exists in F Hall and bury the ashes in an unmarked grave behind the zoo lot.
-Gardner Edgerton Junction City flag singlets--the singlets themselves are fine, but I love Old Glory as much as the next patriot and I think it's a breach of flag etiquette to put an American flag that large on an athletic uniform.

Honorable Mention best dressed:
-Olathe South blue/white/yellows. I could do without the white band--a solid blue with yellow script or solid yellow with blue script would be **fire emoji fire emoji fire emoji**

Last edited by Prant Garker; 02/23/19 03:11 AM.
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252769 03/01/19 05:20 PM
Kale Mann Offline
I just feel honored to have caught the attention of the Great Prant! I anxiously await his return to the forum every year at this time of year!

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252772 03/01/19 07:46 PM
L
Lars Lueders Offline
L
Dodge City is honored to be mentioned as the best dressed team in Kansas!

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252775 03/01/19 09:23 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Originally Posted by Prant Garker

-Gardner Edgerton Junction City flag singlets--the singlets themselves are fine, but I love Old Glory as much as the next patriot and I think it's a breach of flag etiquette to put an American flag that large on an athletic uniform.*[/i]

I also believe it’s a breach of rule 4 (art. 2), but since they’ve got lots of Fort Riley dudes they get a pass. ‘Merica.

Last edited by DamonParker; 03/01/19 09:24 PM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #252890 03/08/19 02:08 PM
Chase Offline
Prant, if we’re to talk fashion you should see the horrendous singlets designed for the elementary dual teams. Definitely zOMG NO WAY list worthy

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Chase] #255036 02/21/20 04:35 AM
Prant Garker Offline OP
OP Offline
Alllllllright, wrestling fans. Regionals start tomorrow, which means I'm going to need your eyes and ears out there preparing for this year's BEST DRESSED and zOMG NO WAY lists. If you have some recommendos for either list, post them in this here thread and I'll let you know whether they make the cut. I'm especially looking for help in the 3-2-1A space, as there are some towns out there that I've definitely never heard of but might have cool singlets.

The early competitors to be added to the 2020 watch list includes:
-Manhattan's new old school warm-ups. The blue slicksuit and classic Manhattan font is VERY nice.
-Washburn Rural's blue singlets with yellow trim and script "Rural" has all the flavors I crave. Classic, sharp, yes please. Team Top Hat seems to be making a run at Dodge City for the Best Dressed Grand State title this year, stay tuned.
-Olathe South--flirted with the list last year, I'm interested to see if they've upped their game.

Re: Let's talk fashion. [Re: Prant Garker] #255037 02/21/20 08:42 AM
Chase Offline
As man with an impeccable eye for decade defining fashion. I would like to volunteer the new Garden City’s two piece singlets as tribute for best dressed. They got away from that eye sore brown/gold scheme to evolve to a sleek black with grey buffalo head on the back. I heard a rumor Derek Zoolander and Cruella de Vil herself headed up the design team on this. It has STAMPEDED its way into my heart!

11/10 would recommend.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)