The numbers were low this year for middle school state. So I started asking around a lot during the tournament why are they low? Here is what I heard back.

Spring break is starting so a lot of kids are starting spring break vacations.

Middle school kids don't like wrestling districts, and then wrestling middle school state the next day. Also have to pick a DIFFERENT weight for middle school state.

Money$$$ a lot of 7th graders didn't compete because the costs involved with going on. They determined they would wait until their 8th grade year, and go on then...and save their money this year.

I was also told a good solution...Have middle school state the week after Kansas kids state. You would be weeks closer to the duals, and should be within range of your weight class if cutting weight. Also wouldn't have to weigh in the morning of districts. I don't know if those doing all the work behind the scenes would have enough time to get everything lined up in time for the duals?!?!

Just some thoughts! I appreciate all the efforts from all those getting the duals together. Billby did a great job preseeding. Ecks do a great job planning everything for the Kansas teams.

Craig Amrein

Last edited by EHSNews; 03/13/19 03:12 PM.