Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Girls Programs- District/School Support #253966 09/09/19 01:12 AM
Kale Mann Offline OP
OP Offline
We are in the process of establishing our Girls Wrestling Program and I am looking for info as to what kind of support your school is providing for the new program. Specifically:

1. Coaching- Does your school have a separate Girls and Boys coaching staff? Are you allowed to add new assistant coaches? other solutions?

2. Equipment- Did your school provide a budget to equip the girls program?

3. Operating Budget- Did your school provide the girls program an operating budget, add to your existing budget, or are you just being asked to cover those costs from your additional boys program?

Thanks for your insight!

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #253968 09/09/19 03:14 PM
L
LC Davis Offline
L
I have got nothing but feel some adjustments need to be made!
interested to hear what others are getting

Head Coach- Pittsburg High School

Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #253970 09/09/19 04:32 PM
N. Broeckelman Offline
1) We will be adding another staff member to specifically focus on girls pending girls wrestling numbers.

2) We are ordering new singlets specifically for our girls team based on interest sign up.

3) School will be covering our expenses as they do for other sports.

Nathan Broeckelman
Head Wrestling Coach
Great Bend HS
KWCA Vice President
Ecclesiastes 10:10
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #253972 09/09/19 05:40 PM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
1. Coaching- Does your school have a separate Girls and Boys coaching staff? Are you allowed to add new assistant coaches? other solutions?

Our school district has been fully supported. I see us adding another coach in the future along with a possible Girls Head Coach if our numbers grow to allow. We currently have 3 coaches and could use 4 coaches as we are up to 30+ boys and 15+ girls who have shown interest.

2. Equipment- Did your school provide a budget to equip the girls program?

Our budget is combined, however, I see our AD increasing our budget to allow for the equipment for girls. Our Superintendent allowed for me to purchase Women's cut singlets this summer and warm ups for our girls.

3. Operating Budget- Did your school provide the girls program an operating budget, add to your existing budget, or are you just being asked to cover those costs from your additional boys program?

School will cover the expenses as they would for boys.

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #253975 09/11/19 12:51 PM
I
insidetie Offline
I
I dont see how there cannot be support for the programs. From what I understand of Title 9, if there is a guys equivalent they have to spend the same on the girls. Maybe I am missing something here but it seems those schools that dont support the program (own head coach, own equipment budget, etc.) will be setting themselves for trouble. I will be really interested in how this plays out. I know we are planning on having 1 of our guys coaches rotate into the girls room to help out (hopefully) their coaching staff. Again, as Broekman said, it depends on our numbers.

Jerad Gorney
Assistant Wrestling Coach- GEHS
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: insidetie] #253981 09/11/19 06:45 PM
Kale Mann Offline OP
OP Offline
I think the big reason right now is because the Girls programs are not entirely separate programs according to KSHSAA for the next 2 seasons- so that now they can just be treated as a part of a single school sport.

Another Question would be: What level of school support does your current wrestling program receive? My budget does not cover all the entry fees for the season. All other purchases (travel- except state), meals, equipment, must be fund raised for.

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #253986 09/12/19 03:49 AM
M
Mike McLaughlin Offline
M
The Olathe schools are essentially treating it like they do Cross Country and Bowling here, which is: same head coach for both the boys and girls programs; added assistant coaches as the numbers warrant; same budget but added as needed for girls tournaments/equipment/etc.

Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Mike McLaughlin] #254004 09/18/19 02:03 PM
I
insidetie Offline
I
A few things need to get worked out in my humble opinion. 1) Do head coaches get extra pay? I am assuming this will mean extra time/work for them. 2) How are practices going to be held? Do you hold the male and female practices together or split them up? 3) The two year rule. Is it only for competitions and post-season or is the "grace" period for actually starting a women's team? The rule, as I read it, only applies to competitions for two years. Maybe I missed the part of allowing schools to not create a separate team. 4) What about state? Will mens' teams coaches draw straws to see who goes to Salina or Wichita?
As I stated before, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope, for the women involved, it will get all the support they need.

Jerad Gorney
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: insidetie] #254005 09/18/19 06:10 PM
M
Mike McLaughlin Offline
M
Thoughts...1)In Olathe, no extra pay for head coaches; 2)Practices...only speaking for OW...we will have the girls with our "New/Novice" group as all of our girls would fall into that category; so that group will include guys and girls together; 3)The two year rule is only for regular season competitions, not post season. For both years of the phase in the girls will have their own post season; 3A)Creating a team would be entirely up to each school depending if they have enough interest(just like any other sport at any school); 4)Maybe rock-paper-scissors? smile

It's cool to be around at the start of something new no doubt!

Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #254010 09/19/19 01:08 PM
N. Broeckelman Offline
State is only Thursday for the Girls from my understanding. Men's State is Friday and Saturday. I also thought there was an idea that you could bring you guys team to Salina to practice and then head to Wichita or Hays
from Salina after the Girls state tournament was over.

Nathan Broeckelman
Head Wrestling Coach
Great Bend HS
KWCA Vice President
Ecclesiastes 10:10
Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #254015 09/20/19 03:17 PM
C
Coach Prieto Offline
C
No extra coach, no increase to budget. Will have to get my girls numbers up I guess to justify the aforementioned yet it will for sure increase the expenses to take girls to separate tournaments.

Re: Girls Programs- District/School Support [Re: Kale Mann] #254016 09/20/19 03:52 PM
I
insidetie Offline
I
That blows my mind. With the support wrestling enjoys in Garden City I would have expected you guys to be the first fill a team.

Jerad Gorney

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 178 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)