Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is a Novice? #254298 11/14/19 08:54 PM
J
Jeffrey Eaton Offline OP
OP Offline
J
What would you say constitutes a "Novice" wrestler? Is it years in the sport? (If so, how many before no longer a novice?) Is it skill level of the wrestler? (how many 1st places, or wins vs. loss?) There are lots of wrestlers going into their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year who are pretty good, record wise, (maybe not a lot of competition at their age/weight) but still have only a couple moves in their arsenal and aren't very advanced. What's your take on it?

Who decides if a wrestler should be allowed in a novice tournament?

Re: What is a Novice? [Re: Jeffrey Eaton] #254303 11/15/19 03:33 PM
T
twig_42 Offline
T
I think the rule of thumb is 2 years or less and they can wrestle novice. Anything over 2 and they need to go to open. That's also the most straight forward and uncomplicated way to approach it. That being said, I have a few kids each year making the transition that don't have any business wrestling open yet and unfortunately, more often than not they will drop out. Many times, I will just encourage those wrestlers (and parents) to practice only and stick with the sport, with the hope that they will eventually mature physically and athletically in a way to match their peers.

Brett Hutchinson
Andover Wrestling Club President
andoverwrestlingclub2015@gmail.com
Re: What is a Novice? [Re: twig_42] #254305 11/15/19 05:38 PM
J
Jeffrey Eaton Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That makes for a good rule of thumb, and I was thinking along those lines. I wish there was a hard and fast rule put in place at "Novice" tournaments to curb abuse from "Medal Seekers" rather than "Competition Seekers". I guess its an ethics thing for me. It's unethical to go out hunting easy medals and utterly destroying newbies. This discourages the new wrestlers from pursuing the sport. As I tell my son and others, "You're not the best unless you beat the best."

Re: What is a Novice? [Re: Jeffrey Eaton] #254349 11/25/19 02:04 PM
Y
yelsew Offline
Y
It would be nice to have a grading system for the kids. Some are well advanced many are not

Re: What is a Novice? [Re: Jeffrey Eaton] #254351 11/25/19 09:08 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I try to stick to the 2 year rule, but I also have allowed parents to extend into the third year.

That may take some heat instead of having a kid just practice majority of the year a leading to them quitting.

This a very rare case and obviously the exception not the rule. Several things help me come to the decision.

What was activity and tournaments entered in the first and second year. What is their true skill level not the parent’s implied skill level.

I think if we can pass the red faced test with our hand on a bible that our action is out of best interest for the wrestler (not in a trophy hunting perspective). I think it is acceptable for a third year kid to enter a novice.

The case I spoke of was last year and in every tournament he battled for a third or fourth place finish in a couple of novice tournaments. Had his first win ever in three years of wrestling.

Now with that being said I had seen plenty the other way....that shouldn’t be in novice. My thought Is you win 2 tournaments in Novice time to go open.

If it is managed correctly it can be a positive thing, problem is most don’t.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: What is a Novice? [Re: Teamroper] #254353 11/25/19 10:27 PM
J
Jeffrey Eaton Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Teamroper
I try to stick to the 2 year rule, but I also have allowed parents to extend into the third year.

That may take some heat instead of having a kid just practice majority of the year a leading to them quitting.

This a very rare case and obviously the exception not the rule. Several things help me come to the decision.

What was activity and tournaments entered in the first and second year. What is their true skill level not the parent’s implied skill level.

I think if we can pass the red faced test with our hand on a bible that our action is out of best interest for the wrestler (not in a trophy hunting perspective). I think it is acceptable for a third year kid to enter a novice.

The case I spoke of was last year and in every tournament he battled for a third or fourth place finish in a couple of novice tournaments. Had his first win ever in three years of wrestling.

Now with that being said I had seen plenty the other way....that shouldn’t be in novice. My thought Is you win 2 tournaments in Novice time to go open.

If it is managed correctly it can be a positive thing, problem is most don’t.

I think this is what I have been feeling as well. Very well put.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dylan Hitchcock), 169 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)