Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! #254460 12/12/19 06:52 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Chanute vs. Washburn Rural on mat 1, NCCC vs. Central Christian on mat 2! 6pm start time. Come out out to WRHS if you're in the Topeka Area for some top-flight wrestling!

Last edited by DamonParker; 12/12/19 06:53 PM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: DamonParker] #254462 12/13/19 03:11 AM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Congrats on the win coach! Would like to see your duals feature 1 mat only, center stage, to showcase your team. Last dual I attended, JV and Varsity on 2 mats going at the same time.. tonight, a college dual that nobody watched. The atmosphere just wasn't what I expected from a dual of that caliber. Just my 2 cents.. again, congrats on the win.. one heck of a team!

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: DamonParker] #254463 12/13/19 03:57 AM
N
Nathan Carter Offline
N
Scott, that was way more than 2 cents. Lol. I thought the atmosphere was great. Coach has given JV kids a great chance of wrestling in front of crowds that they wouldn’t be able to normally. Rural Wrestling is a family and we like it that way.

Go Blues!!!

Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: HokaheyCoach] #254468 12/13/19 03:36 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Scott, that's certainly an interesting take, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. That said, the overwhelming majority of feedback I have received on the college/hs dual has been positive, and we look forward to continuing the great relationship with Chanute and Neosho. Plus, with the music, smoke machine, spotlights, and a great crowd chanting for our wrestlers, I'm not sure what more we could add for the atmosphere, but I'm open to suggestions!

Additionally, I get the idea of spotlighting our 1st varsity, but our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th varsity deserves a chance to wrestle in front of a crowd as well. We love them just as much as the first stringers. smile

Last edited by DamonParker; 12/13/19 03:49 PM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: DamonParker] #254474 12/13/19 08:30 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Ok.. 3 cents Nathan smile I can respect the family thing.. as you know I have some Blue running through my veins too!

Coach... for me there was a distraction to a top tier dual that we came out to support. Not saying ours is better at Heights but the atmosphere was much more intense.. everyone focused on 1 match. Walkout music.. near silence at times with sudden burst of cheers or oohs and ahhs. It was a fun time and enjoyed watching your team compete since I have been around most of them since they were young. Just having no distractions to me seems the point of a Dual.. not a Quad. When I went last year and JV was going at the same time, there was constant chatter that seemed to take away from the focus of the Varsity team. Varsity earned their spot and the attention that deserves. JV will get their chance.. and if I am not mistaken.. very few were watching the college dual. I didn't even notice that it had ended. I assume that when Varsity and JV go at the same time, the only ones watching JV are the parents of those wrestlers so wrestling in front of a crowd doesn't hold much weight. There are crowds at JV tourneys as well. Again.. my 4 cents..

btw.. there is no such thing as a 2nd 3rd or 4th varsity. I don't think you should take away from those at the top. Most of those that I have talked to about the program question the mindset behind that reference. There is Varsity and there is JV. With the numbers you have I get the intention but I do not know of any other team referencing as such... almost cocky in nature. My respect still remains!

That was my nickel's worth! smile

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: HokaheyCoach] #254475 12/14/19 01:53 AM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Blowing out someone else’s candle does not make yours shine any brighter. Like I said, everyone is entitled to have their own opinions. I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited by DamonParker; 12/14/19 04:32 AM.

Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: DamonParker] #254496 12/17/19 04:28 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Often times there is not much difference between the #1 and #2 (aka #1A), esp. if a team/program has the numbers that Washburn has. I think it is great that Washburn is giving their kids oppourtunities to wrestle in the spotlight. It keeps kids interested and motivated. If you look at our numbers across the State, participation in wrestling has been receding, other than the new growth we are seeing from girls wrestling.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: #1 vs. #2 and college wrestling in the same gym! [Re: DamonParker] #254532 12/22/19 11:36 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Promoting college wrestling and other "minor sports or activities" are a must for it's survival of the sport in the USA (Student Athlete) - head middle school, high school and college coaches in a very high percentage must have a college degree and generally teach at the school, college coaches in most cases are required to have a Master's degree.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)