Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training #254822 01/29/20 02:13 AM
Bobby Bovaird Offline OP
OP Offline
As we finalize the policies enacted by the US Center for Safe Sport, we need to inform Kansas wrestling clubs of a requirement that is a part of the SafeSport Handbook.

Regarding minor athletes / parents: Each chartered club shall, subject to parental consent, annually offer and give training to members who are minors regarding prevention and reporting of child abuse. Each club shall track:
1) The description of the training offered;
2) The date the training was offered and given; and
3) A description of how the training was offered and given.
(source: http://content.themat.com/USAWrestlingSafeSportHandbook.pdf, Section III, page 24)

Clubs should provide this training to their membership. Training can be found here: https://athletesafety.org/training/index

Each chartered club needs to document that this training has been offereded to members. Club directors or officers can do so by following these steps:
--> Log into your membership profile at www.usawmembership.com
--> Click on "Manage" and then "Clubs"
--> Click on "Manage Club"
--> On the left menu, click "SafeSport"
--> Enter the Communication Date and then select "Email" in the type drop-down box
--> Copy and paste your email in the "Notes" field
--> Click "Log Communication"

Our goal is to have as many clubs as possible offer this training to their members. You need to have offered it at least twice during the season.

Contact me at bovairdr@usd416.org if you have any questions. Thank you, and best of luck this season!

Gifted Teacher
Head Wrestling Coach, Louisburg High School
Director of Coaches Development, USAWKS
Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254826 01/29/20 05:05 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I thought that was safesport was going to do?

Last edited by sportsfan02; 01/29/20 05:05 AM.

Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: sportsfan02] #254829 01/29/20 02:39 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline OP
OP Offline
Good question, and I'm sure you're not the only one wondering that.

The US Center for Safe Sport has made the SS training mandatory for all adults who are working with minors in sports. That's the training video that we all take before we can purchase our Wrestling Leader membership each year.

This post, which coincides with the email that came out to the USAWKS membership this morning, addresses the US Center for Safe Sport requirement for all clubs to offer training to their members.

Clubs can fulfill this requirement by doing the following:
1) Send an email with the link to the training site (https://athletesafety.org/training/index) to all parents in the club
2) Have an officer or club director log into the club account at www.usawmembership.com and document that you have done this

We are asking all USAWKS chartered clubs to offer this training twice during the 2019-20 season.

Gifted Teacher
Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254833 01/29/20 05:16 PM
J
jwp21 Offline
J
Bobby: Question to clarify, it is the responsibility of the club to "offer" or make available the training to parents, correct? Not to oversee or verify that parents have completed this training?

Thanks, Jesse Pfortmiller

Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254836 01/29/20 06:39 PM
F
FortScottKids Offline
F
Do we add our club as the organization to associate with or will the USAWKS add it the registry?

Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254837 01/29/20 07:57 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I did it this morning. Logged in to our Club's account at themat.com membership page, and had to go to manage club, copy and paste the email i sent our club into the "notes" section, fill in the date, click on "email" (guess you could mail it also) and it saved it so we are good to go. Here is the email i received from USA wrestling. Easy instructions are included:

As we finalize the policies enacted by the US Center for Safe Sport, we need to inform Kansas wrestling clubs of a requirement that is a part of the SafeSport Handbook.

Regarding minor athletes / parents: Each chartered club shall, subject to parental consent, annually offer and give training to members who are minors regarding prevention and reporting of child abuse. Each club shall track:
1. The description of the training offered;
2. The date the training was offered and given; and
3. A description of how the training was offered and given.
(source: http://content.themat.com/USAWrestlingSafeSportHandbook.pdf, Section III, page 24)

Clubs should provide this training to their membership. Training can be found here: https://athletesafety.org/training/index

Each chartered club needs to document that this training has been offereded to members. Club directors or officers can do so by following these steps:
• Click on "Manage" and then "Clubs"
• Click on "Manage Club"
• On the left menu, click "SafeSport"
• Enter the Communication Date and then select "Email" in the type drop-down box
• Copy and paste your email in the "Notes" field
• Click "Log Communication"
Contact me at bovairdr@usd416.org if you have any questions. Thank you, and best of luck this season!

Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254851 01/30/20 03:19 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline OP
OP Offline
Clubs who are experiencing trouble, here are some things I can tell you:
--> You only need to offer the training. Sending an email with the US Center for SafeSport training link to your membership is enough to satisfy this requirement.
--> You also need to document when / how it was offered. Do this by having a club officer log into his/her profile at www.usawmembership.com and follow the steps listed above.

This training needs to be offered twice a season. You can do it right away and then again close to districts.

Your club does NOT need to create an account with the US Center for SafeSport. Just provide the link to parents. It's their discretion whether or not they will have their children do the training.

Your profile needs to be affiliated with your wrestling club through the USAW website in order to document the training offering. You can contact USAW directly to get this done. You may also be able to take care of it by reading here: https://www.usawmembership.com/help/category/2/question/8

Let me know if you have any further questions. Chances are that you won't be the only one with that question.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with answers to questions.

Gifted Teacher
Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254857 01/31/20 05:49 PM
K
KTW Coach Offline
K
Bobby, our club communicates through a Facebook group. Can I share the link on that group instead of an email?

Last edited by KTW Coach; 01/31/20 05:51 PM.

Josh Miller, Kansas Thunderstruck Wrestling, Head coach
Re: Safe Sport -- Minor Abuse Prevention Training [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #254858 01/31/20 07:25 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that should be fine. When you log into your profile at www.usawmembership.com and go to manage your club, if you haven't already connected your individual profile with the club's profile, you'll need to go to https://www.usawmembership.com/contact-us and put in a request to for additional permissions / authorization. You might already have this taken care of.

When you're documenting your communication, just select "Other" for the type of communication and in the notes section, copy and paste whatever you post on Facebook.

Gifted Teacher

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)