Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
State Qualifiers #256092 02/09/21 05:46 PM
D
DaltonWeidl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Since there is an extra step to make it to the state tournament this year I was wondering how other teams are handling this. Are you counting kids who make it out of regionals as state qualifiers, since there's technically only 16 wrestlers left, like a normal year. Or are you only counting the ones who make it to the 8 man bracket of state as qualifiers?

Just wanted to see how others are going about this.

LifeSkills and Wrestling Coach at USD290
Re: State Qualifiers [Re: DaltonWeidl] #256093 02/09/21 06:07 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline
I'm hoping that this is a one-time thing for KSHSAA to break up the qualifiers like this. Essentially, for 321A and 4A, they've taken the 2-day regional tournament and split it into two single-day tournaments (districts and regionals), and they've taken the 2-day state tournament and split it into two single-day tournaments (sub-state and state).

Making it to state this year is the equivalent of making it to the blood round of state any other year (except there will be imbalances due to covid, stacked qualifiers, etc.).

I'm approaching it like this -- a wrestler who makes it to the top-16 in the state is a state qualifier in my book. It'll raise some questions next year when we talk about "state qualifier" at seeding meetings, but I believe that the vast majority of kids who make it to sub-state have made a big accomplishment. Those who make it to state are in an excellent position. It just seems silly that for state, 8 kids compete, 2 kids go home empty-handed, and 6 get a state medal.

I really wish KSHSAA had consulted folks with knowledgeable wrestling backgrounds before they made these changes. I have not heard of any administrators or coaches consulted in the brainstorming / planning process for this, but that's not to say nobody had been consulted.

Gifted Teacher
Head Wrestling Coach, Louisburg High School
Director of Coaches Development, USAWKS
Re: State Qualifiers [Re: DaltonWeidl] #256095 02/10/21 03:04 AM
Z
zebrafam Offline
Z
Had the coaches and their AD's and Admin gotten involved as soon as the Kshsaa came out with the format, and started calling in and e-mailing and such{ Like what happened with the other things that Kshsaa had to back track on}, then maybe we could have gotten the format changed to one that made sense!! Like a regular regional this weekend and then State in two weeks. This would account for any quarantine time from the regional event. And the brutality of the three week qualifying is something else!!! I believe there were at least 3 if not 4 ranked wrestlers at the Phillipsburg regional that are staying home this weekend. And there could be more this weekend at Wakeeney, and for sure in two weeks at Minneapolis.

KSHSAA stated that they used the best info they gleaned from their executive board and their sports health experts to formulate the format and what was in the best interest of all kids and parents involved. Agree- probably not to many "Wrestling experienced People" consulted on this. Really too bad for all those that know how the sport of Wrestling works!!!

Lets pray it goes back to normal next season!!

Re: State Qualifiers [Re: DaltonWeidl] #256096 02/10/21 03:42 PM
W
wksfan2010 Offline
W
I've heard several coaches say that if they make it past regionals, they're counting it as a state qualifier.

How things have played out upsets me. KSHSAA did not consult the KWCA at all in regards to how they were doing postseason.
The Girls district tournaments in divison 2, in the west had only 4 girls eliminated combined!
Here's how I believe they should have done regionals and state: wrestle the regionals and state with the first seven weight classes on Friday, and the last seven weight classes on Saturday. I'm sure you could change it up for state a little and stretch it out to a three-day tournament.

Re: State Qualifiers [Re: DaltonWeidl] #256097 02/10/21 05:32 PM
Z
zebrafam Offline
Z
The overnight stays were a big issue with KSHSAA. They went to this format due to the 112 wrestler limit they cornered themselves with and then they could host a one day event because this would not cause an overnight stay for teams and parents and thus this would mitigate the spread of Covid. That is why there were not two day events. KSHSAA stated that this is where the spread of Covid would happen
And I agree that KSHSAA should have gotten the KWCA and any and all wrestling guru's involved in the decision making. Lets face it, whether or not it is a one day event or three day, "ALL" Teams and their fans are there the first day, so the possible Covid-Cat is out of the bag per say. And do all the fans and teams stay in the same rooms when they stay the night? One big group sleep-over?
I know of some teams that have motel reservations for next weeks sub-states due to the travel distance, regardless of start time. So there goes the no overnight stay.

But -4 times the events means 4 times the gate fee collected, even if the numbers are limited.!!!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)