Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19061 03/27/06 08:07 PM
S
SlammerWrestling6 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
As usual, a fantastic and well organized event that gets better every year. Great job tournament organizers and volunteers!

I offer the following comment for consideration for next year however, that may help improve press coverage of wrestling as a whole.

I have come across complaints now and then on this forum of the lack of coverage and lack of exposure of our sport. We in Leavenworth County are fortunate not to have this problem. The two local papers (Leavenworth Times and Lansing Current) do a great job of covering wrestling at the high school, middle school, and club levels all year around.

At the state tournament, I was told by reporters that they could not photograph mat side. The reason sited for asking them to go behind the railings were that US Photos were the only photographers allowed on the floor. It was explained that this was part of the US Photo contract for the event. [I do not know if this is true or not]

If true, I recommend the powers to be, to reconsider restricting mat side photography to only professional photo buisness. Should also include the press as well. Press coverage works both ways. If we want them to cover our sport, we should ensure we enable the press the opportunity to adequately cover the matches [Of course there are some safety concerns as well, don't want camera people and equipment all over the floor].

A related issue we also should address more strictly, is “who is the press”. There were a lot of “moms” and “dads” with press passes. We probably should look at press credentials a little harder as to who is issued a press pass.

Some things to consider.

Again, super tournament.

Mike Flynn
Slammer Wrestling

Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19062 03/27/06 08:35 PM
D
deanstraus Offline
D
With a $200 digital camera you can take a decent picture from behind the rail. With a professional camera those guys can take a closeup shot from the upper deck. Not being able to walk on the mats should not restrict press coverage.
US Photos photographers should also not be allowed on the mats.
The refs that are not involed in a match should find somewhere else to sit and visit.

CLEAR THE MATS !!

Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19063 03/27/06 08:50 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by deanstraus:
The refs that are not involed in a match should find somewhere else to sit and visit.

CLEAR THE MATS !!
Agreed! Numerous times our view from the stands was blocked by refs gathering in the middle of the mats. Or, by the US Photo guys standing in the middle of the mats.

Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19064 03/27/06 09:32 PM
SEKcoach Offline
Just why do the refs "on a break" gather and lounge in the middle of the mats? It is distracting for the fans and I would guess it is distracting for the wrestlers as well.

Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19065 03/27/06 09:34 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Lack of coverage? I know I saw tons of coverage on the news when I got home KSNT, KTKA, and WIBW all carried interviews and lots of them as well as plenty of action last night.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19066 03/27/06 09:41 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by SEKcoach:
Just why do the refs "on a break" gather and lounge in the middle of the mats? It is distracting for the fans and I would guess it is distracting for the wrestlers as well.
Most times you only get a few minutes for a break, 2-3 matches then you're back at it. That really doesn't leave time for officials to walk off the mat past the wrestlers warming up and then turn back around and head back to their mat.

It's just as easy to sit in the corner of the mats where they meet as it is to struggle through the crowd on the floor.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19067 03/28/06 04:40 AM
Nedly Offline
Mike,

We hire US Photos not the expo. With that being said over 75 press passes were given out this weekend and there is no way all of those folks can or should be out in the middle of the mats. So we ask them to take them from the coaches side of the mat. The reason US Photo is out in the middle is they have to get from mat to mat in a hurry some times and it just makes it easier for them. I watch this year and I thought they did a good job of trying to stay out of the way. But in the past from time to time I have seen a Newspaper person out there taking photos and it was not a issue.

I think we do a good job of working with the press and making as easy for them as possible. I agree with Sweazy I thought this press coverage was great. To get a press pass you must show press credentials from the paper you are working for. A lot of small towns may send a parent to take pictures since they have small staffs.

As far as the refs out on the mat we will work with our head offical to see if we can find a better way. But please keep in mind that we are in a pinch for space on the floor. But we will look in to it.

Thnaks for the Ideas,
Ned

Re: Press Coverage Of State Tournament #19068 03/28/06 02:19 PM
S
SlammerWrestling6 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ned,

Thanks for the response. I do agree with Aaron that the press coverage was great as evident of several new clips and interviews on T.V., and several major stories in newspapers.

Additionally, I didn't see US Photo being a problem on the Mat. From a coach’s perspective, they stayed out of the way and I barely felt their presence.

I did see that you posted that the press could take pictures from the "coaches side of the mat". That being the case, I think that is a good way of controlling access to the floor / mat. It also provides the press access for photography.

Unfortunately for the two reporters I talked to, they were told to go behind the rail. Not good access for photography, especially during the medal rounds.

Again, I thought the tourney was well run. And if the press is allowed coaches side...no problems (we would just have to ensure officials and security are aware of the policy).

Thanks,

Mike

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 140 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)