Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
State Concessions #19069 03/27/06 09:02 PM
windjammer Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought this year's state tournament was the best I've been to. Everything went very smoothly for an event of this magnitude and I sincerely thank everyone involved. I know it is a tremendous undertaking.

My only issue, (and I know we've had this before) is the concession situation. I know that this is part of the contract with the Expocentre and that we need this facility or one like it, and they are probably all similar, but I think it is outrageous restrict bringing food/drinks in and then to charge $3.50 for a bottle of water, $3.75 for gatorade, and a hundred dollars for a hot dog. This practice also leads to the somewhat aggrevating and time consuming searches of purses and bags. I'm not against them profiting from the concessions, but they seem to be a little bit abusive about it. I'm sure there are quite a few wrestling families that are financially burdened by the travel, hotel rooms, and lost wages. They shouldn't be required to buy $3.50 bottles of water.(sorry, that still makes me mad)

Re: State Concessions #19070 03/27/06 09:09 PM
G
gatorball Offline
G
I second that!!!After the entire family eats you could go to five star joint.Eat a 16oz porter house for everyone.

Re: State Concessions #19071 03/27/06 09:14 PM
J
jacksonkids Offline
J
Not yet mentioned it is against the law. (Illegal Search and Seizure)

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution

Amendment IV.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Re: State Concessions #19072 03/27/06 09:19 PM
SEKcoach Offline
I bought one bottle a water each day and refilled it at the water fountain. Also, we have always gone out to the van and made sandwiches or whatever. I refuse to pay those prices. I have 5 kids to feed!

Re: State Concessions #19073 03/27/06 09:26 PM
24/7 Offline
Loose fitting pants and coats can easily accomidate 2-3 bottles of gatorade and various crackers, powerbars, etc.

24/7

Re: State Concessions #19074 03/27/06 09:29 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonkids:
Not yet mentioned it is against the law. (Illegal Search and Seizure)

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution

Amendment IV.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Yea I dont' see what harm food is doing being snuck in, it's stuff like guns and knifes I'd be worried about.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: State Concessions #19075 03/27/06 10:10 PM
Beeson Offline
They are not searching for guns and knives. Not once did I hear security say no knives or no handguns. What I did hear them say was one bottle of 24oz. gatorade or water per wrestler.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: State Concessions #19076 03/27/06 10:12 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I don't like it, either, and 24/7 is right on the money with the wardrobe suggestions. Also if you have little ones, a diaper bag with all its hidden pockets can conceal a lot, too. They usually just look and don't really dig. Many a year I've entered and gone straight to the ladies room to move goodies from pockets and sleeves back into my bag. I don't let their policy strongarm me into spending more than I'd planned to on concessions.

As far as the legality/search and seizure issue, I don't know how far that would fly. I imagine there's some sort of implied consent when you purchase a ticket to abide by the policies of the facility. It's not like they're grabbing you off the street and searching you.

Re: State Concessions #19077 03/27/06 10:21 PM
windjammer Offline OP
OP Offline
I just don't think that adults, or kids for that matter, while attending a kid related event should be put in the position of having to stick sandwiches in their underwear to survive. I think we should be able to bring whatever food we want into the building, or the facility should offer reasonably priced concessions.

Re: State Concessions #19078 03/27/06 10:36 PM
Beeson Offline
How did everyone like the tip cups sitting by the registers. I would have loved to support some of those organizations but after buying 2 hot dogs and one bottle of gatorade for $9.00 I could have used a handout myself.

Re: State Concessions #19079 03/27/06 11:02 PM
G
gatorball Offline
G
I hear you Beeson.See you next year.Great job this year Jake.From the Spangler's

Re: State Concessions #19080 03/27/06 11:47 PM
Beeson Offline
Thank you. Great Job Michael, Good Luck next year.

Jake the Snake

Re: State Concessions #19081 03/28/06 12:14 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
I am thrilled someone started this thread. I was hoping I was not the only one who felt that being treated like an inmate was offensive. Wrestling is a great sport for our kids, but it is expensive -entry fees, gas, and feeding the family each weekend. I understand the host club of a tournment normally only make money off the concessions. As such, we take a cooler, but we try to spend some money at their concession stand. We want to support the club that sponsers the tournment. But, this weekend was wrong. Our state people did a GREAT job running a class tournment. But, the facilite's security staff were intoxicated with their power. Even at Liberty you were allowed to take in food, and the lines at the concession stands were always long. Also, there was nothing healthy for the kids to buy. Wasn't there advise posted before the State High School tournments that kids should take lots of healthly snacks. Shouldn't our tournment allow this. I bet if they didn't pay the salaries of all those staff to search our stuff, and allow a reasonable amount of food in, they would make the same money.

Re: State Concessions #19082 03/28/06 12:24 AM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
Last year directly after my son's final match he desperately wanted some gatorade. I went to purchase some, but all the concessions had closed down. I asked the guy at the gate if I could bring one in and was told "absolutley not - you have to buy it in here". When I told him that that idea was pointless what with there being no place to purchase anything he told me once again that you had to purchase all food items at the concessions. How pointless.

Re: State Concessions #19083 03/28/06 01:32 AM
Nedly Offline
I know this is a hot issue every year. I see both sides to this discussion.

First I work in the food industry and run conceesions for the college I work for. Concessions prices are always going to be higher than what you can buy at a grocery store. Just like prices are higher at a C-Store when compared to a grocery store. When you let people bring food and drink into the games conceesion sales take a hit. I see every year in my world. I don't like when folks sneak food in to footballs games cause it hurts sales, but it something I have to live with.

From a a wrestling family point of view I see the high cost and think it hurts us on this weeknd. What you might not know is the Expo has a contract with a food service company, and I bet they have no control on the prices and most likely have it written into the contract that no food or drink is allowed to be brought in to the arena.

Fives years ago when I first got on the tournament committee and I went to my first meeting with the expo staff I argued long and hard about the choice of food being offered and the prices. I knew the answer that I was going to recieve, but to this day I bring the topic up very year when we have our pre-tournament meeting with the expo. They have made a few changes over the years on food choices and the hopefully will keep working making it better.

I know that when my kids were wrestling my wife would take the boys out to the car or in to town to eat. You have to what is right for your family. I know there were a lot of grills in the parking lot this year, maybe we should start tailgating!

On the topic of bag searches every major arena that I have ever been to has look thru my bags. I think that we go all year get in to use to a certian way and then the last tournament of the year to have a few more rules to follow.

I promise you as long as I am on the committee I will continue to fight for better concessions.

Ned

Re: State Concessions #19084 03/28/06 02:25 AM
D
deeohh Offline
D
I went to the coachs hospitality room and I swear there was not one thing in there to eat or drink. But right there standing with arms folded was an expo-gastopo. I told him there was nothing here to eat, drink or gaurd. He told me to get lost. About five minutes later the paramedics hauled him out because of what was described as an injury incurred from a severe roundhouse kick to the head!

Re: State Concessions #19085 03/28/06 02:44 AM
2coach Offline
It is a crime that they charge so much. Something or Someone needs to step up and do something about this. The prices are just plain dumb!!!!!!!!!

Re: State Concessions #19086 03/28/06 02:58 AM
Beeson Offline
Deeohh,
I LOVE YOU!!!!

Re: State Concessions #19087 03/28/06 01:23 PM
S
Smuggler Offline
S
I have attended the last 4 State meets since my son got involved with wrestling. I have smuggled vast quantities of food into every meet. I refuse to pay the amounts they charge. I encourage everyone to continue to smuggle food in until they no longer make a profit and decide they don't want to have concessions for our meet. Do whatever it takes to eliminate profit from the concessions.

Smuggler
Re: State Concessions #19088 03/28/06 02:26 PM
J
Jeff Harrington Offline
J
During this topic at the executive meeting when we looked at the different proposals the Wichita bid presenters said they would not search and seize the participant’s bags and goodies. The Wichita bid was also a better cost but the powers that be elected to stay in Topeka for another 3 years. Also something that was very surprising was that Dist. 4 also voted to go back to Topeka. Guess they enjoy the extra drive time. If you want changes I suggest that you get involved at the district and state level so you can have a positive voice at the executive level. I will add that State this year was very smooth running. The state tournament committee did a fantastic job.

Jeff Harrington
President
Derby Wrestling Club
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)