Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19503 09/22/06 03:50 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wanted to let everyone know that we are starting a new wrestling team in the Leavenworth area. The club will teach and compete in Folkstyle, Freestyle, and Greco. The following is some additional info on the team....

Team Name: SPARTANS

Team Motto: Producing Champions for the Game of Life!

Vision: Use wrestling as a tool to teach life lessons such as teamwork, sportsmanship, work ethic, discipline, and goal setting.

Goals:
1. Provide a fun, learning atmosphere for all kids desiring to wrestle.
2. Provide quality instruction and stress fundamentals of wrestling.
3. Serve as a feeder club for local high school wrestling teams.
4. Assist wrestlers with college recruiting and NCAA preparation.

Club Description:
1. Open to all kids 5-18 years of age.

2. Family focused organization.

Coaching Staff: We currently have 4-6 coaches with NCAA Div 1 wrestling experience. Other members of the coaching staff have college wrestling experience and many years of experience coaching little kids wrestling.

If you are interested in being a part of the team either as a wrestler or as a coach please contact one of the following individuals:

Shawn Budke 913-727-1300
Jeff Butler 913-680-0663
Mike Flynn 913-727-1328
Guy Niemann 913-240-5337

We are currently holding pre-season practices one day a week. If anyone is interested in working out or needs practice partners please feel free to join us. Contact one of the people above if interested for further details.

Check out the latest video...

Spartan Wrestling Promo

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19504 09/22/06 03:55 PM
24/7 Offline
This is a heck of an opportunity for kids in the Leavenworth/Lansing area. (or anywhere close) I don't know too many clubs that have a coaching staff with at least 4 guys with D1 experience! They are great guys too, that care about the kids.

24/7

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19505 09/22/06 08:08 PM
K
klint deere Offline
K
Best of luck to the Spartans--quality kids and coaches all,,,,

Klint Deere

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19506 09/23/06 12:07 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I don't know Coach Niemann or Coach Butler, but I have had the honor of meeting and exchanging various emails with Coach Flynn and Coach Budke. I know these two men represent a great deal of all round total quality. I don't know what all is in the area, but I know this is a tremendous opportunity. I spoke specifically with Mike in the past about the importance of carrying something like this over into FS and Greco and lo and behold they are doing it. Great job to all involved on this and I certainly am one that will wish you tremendous success. Your approach is one I would love to see more teams implement.

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19507 09/25/06 02:46 PM
24/7 Offline
Guy Neimann is Aaron Ely's dad, so he has been around high level wrestling for some time, and Jeff Butler wrestled D1 at West Point.

24/7

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19508 09/26/06 04:04 AM
Spartan Wrestling 05 Offline
Leavenworth County Wrestlers,

As Coach Budke mentioned above, we are training Thursday's 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at Warren Middle School. Get some extra time on the mat and prepare for the following pre-season tournaments.

21 Oct - KC Fall Brawl (KC, MO)
4-5 Nov - Rocky Mountain Monster Match (Denver, CO)
12 Nov - Big Horn Nationals (Loveland, CO)

Mike Flynn

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19509 10/03/06 04:02 AM
Spartan Wrestling 05 Offline
Leavenworth Times Article on the New Team

http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/articles/2006/10/02/sports/sports2.txt

Spartans offer brighter future for local wrestlers
By DOUG MAGILL, Times Assistant Sports Editor
Published: Sunday, October 1, 2006 11:34 PM CDT

For Jeff Butler, Shawn Budke and Mike Flynn, the mission is clear.

“I think the motto is kind of catchy,” Jeff Butler, coach of the Leavenworth County Spartans said. “We’re trying produce champions for the game of life. It’s not really about winning matches, I think that’ll come with just practice and hard work and knowing what it takes to win. It’s more of what the kids are getting out of it personally.”

The Leavenworth County Wrestling Team — nicknamed the Spartans — is helping kids from all over Leavenworth County.

“This club here is a good feeder system,” Butler said. “We don’t want to be known as a feeder system to one club or one school. So the location of where we’re going to practice is extremely important. Ideally, if we had our own world we’d like to get our own place that way there’s no perception that we’re aligned to one school.”

“We’re not here to feed Leavenworth, we’re not here to feed Lansing, and we’re not here to feed Pleasant Ridge,” Butler said. “We’re here to feed everybody.”

In a perfect world, the three say, the squad would have it’s own facility. For now though, the team practices in the wrestling room at Warren Middle School.

“This is a good happy medium,” Butler said. “The Leavenworth School District has been excellent in trying to support us in that and we’ve gone to a lot of schools.”

The team held a preseason workout at Warren on Thursday. Official registration is from Oct. 17-18 and the 24th and 25th from 6-8 p.m. at the Youth Achievement Center at 314 Delaware St. Late registrations are accepted if athletes either Budke at 727-1300, Butler at 680-0663, Flynn at 727-1328 or Guy Nieman at 240-5337. Cost of basic registration is $50. Along with membership, that includes the rental of a singlet and headgear. It also includes a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

“Once we get our registrations, we’re looking for all the newcomers,” Butler said. “That’s what we’re prepping for.”

They said after registrations, they are hoping for 40 to 50 wrestlers.

“I’m thinking this room’s going to be full,” Flynn said. “There’s another mat. So we’ll probably have two mats and I’m thinking 50 kids, and that’s a great amount to have.”

The team is looking to raise money for the team for equipment such as singlets, warmups and headgear. They’re also holding fund raising events to help offset the costs of the equipment.

“Now we can wrestle like this,” Flynn said, pointing to his shorts and t-shirt. “When it all comes down to it, we’re going to wrestle. But it would be nice to get the gear and all that.”

The team does have an ambitious fund raising campaign preset. This Saturday the team will be selling chili at a car show on the K-Mart parking lot at 4820 S. 4th St.

“There’s a car show that’s coming to town (this) weekend at the K-Mart parking lot,” Flynn said. “We’re going to have a chili table there. Then we’re going to do things on Fort Leavenworth. That’s really a combined advertisement plus fund raiser. It’s going to say donations are for the wrestling club but at the same time we’re trying to draw kids and coaches. Fort Leavenworth has about 1,200 Majors that come in every year, all college graduates. Out of the 1,200, there’s probably about 30 college wrestlers.”

They had a Pizza Hut sponsored fund raiser last Wednesday night and then another at the Eagles Lodge at 300 S. 20th St. last night. Money aside, the club is somewhat of a dream coming true.

“This has been good because there’s a group of six or seven of us that have wanted to do this,” Budke said. “What’s cool about is we all share the same vision. Everybody says that you have to win and you have to compete and stuff like that. But it’s the competition that’s important and not the winning or the losing. Because the competition is what allows you teach kids life lessons. The discipline, the work ethic, the teamwork, the sportsmanship. That’s what the focus of our program is, using wrestling as a tool to teach kids life lessons.”

It’s also a chance to give back to the community.

“I literally wouldn’t be standing here today if wasn’t for guys taking me to wrestling tournaments and being good role models and mentors to me when I was a kid,” Budke said. “Now that I’m getting ready to retire from the military, I want to be able to give back. I’ll never be able to repay those guys that did it for me, but hopefully I can to some of the kids.”

“If some day one of our kids, when they’re an adult, makes a right decision at a decision point in their life based off what we taught them in wrestling, then we’ll be successful,” Budke said. “And that’s about it.”

Re: Leavenworth County Wrestling Team SPARTANS #19510 10/03/06 12:03 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 24/7:
Guy Neimann is Aaron Ely's dad, so he has been around high level wrestling for some time, and Jeff Butler wrestled D1 at West Point.

24/7
I do know Coach Neimann then, I just know him as Aaron's dad, a great guy, (both parents are wonderful actually) Also great article, the standard for this club just went up a few nothces.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 204 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)