Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37152 05/25/05 03:36 AM
coachtwink Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
So if only 1 or 2 guys enter and Kansas you can't have an Open, does that mean you make those 2 guys count for team points? [/QB]
I don't know what the plans are, but you do not need team scores at a tournament to keep it from being an open. The way to prevent it from being an "open" tournament (where anyone can come) is to make it an "invitational" tournament and invite those you want to come, in this case the entire state was invited. It is up to the coaches to decide which of their wrestlers will be allowed to compete, hopefully they will use some discretion. For instance, SME brought only one wrestler to the Baldwin tourney this year.

I think this is a very intriguing opportunity, but I have to say as a coach I am concerned about the date. According to KSHSAA rules, we are not allowed to practice until the day before the tournament. I am weary about having my wrestlers compete after almost a week off (not sure of the exact dates for next season) and only one day of practice, especially if the competition is going to be as good as expected. I hope I am wrong, but this sounds like a recipe for injury.

Despite any concerns, Coach Bickley, the FHSU wrestling program, and all other organizers should be commended for getting this going!

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37153 05/25/05 12:46 PM
TCarmona Offline
When you are trying to figure out the best man at each weight of each school classification, I dought many people really care about team scores. Also at state they take team scores there and not every body goes. If a coach that is sending their kids is smart, he will not send him to the wolves. This wouldn't be an experience type trny this is a deciding factor trny. You wouldn't send your JV kids to state just to check it out and see them go two and out. Coaches have to be selective and use common sense when sending kids. I think this idea could be great.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37154 05/25/05 02:10 PM
ulysses#11 Offline
This tournament will also give us weight cutters some incentive not to get too fat over the winter break.

I wuv ebonics
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37155 05/25/05 06:44 PM
B
bobphillips Offline OP
OP Offline
B
You are right coach it is an invitational tournament. KSHSAA will not allow an open tournament. I don’t think team points will be kept but I bet someone will. I agree with the dates. But it was the best time to have a tournament like this that will not conflict with other tournament. Also there is nothing that says a wrestler can’t go out and run on his own or go to the local rec. center and work out. Like I said before there may be some bugs to work out but it is a start and in years to come things can be changed. Maybe next year the rule can be changed to three days of no practice instead of 5 days.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37156 05/25/05 07:13 PM
M
Michael Malay Offline
M
This is the coolest thing ive ever heard of i will be wrestling in it for sure.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37157 05/25/05 07:36 PM
TCarmona Offline
No they said they only wanted the best Michael!

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37158 05/26/05 04:18 PM
M
Michael Malay Offline
M
HAHA. I guess i didnt read that part. lol. By the way who r u TCarmona.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37159 05/27/05 05:14 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Somebody better have unlocked doors to a mat if a kid wants to practice!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37160 05/30/05 05:56 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
this doesn't sound like it's going to work very well with the date. Most of the good tourny's are set up around this time and hardly any good teams are gonna drop a good tourny for a new one, ecspecially for the long drive for most to go all the way to Hays KS.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37161 05/30/05 06:36 PM
chewbacca Offline
what good tournaments are you referring to acbulldog? i can't really think of any tournaments in kansas that are over christmas break like this one will be.

Maybe you're not an ugly human, but a good looking ape.....with exceptional verbal skills.
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37162 05/30/05 11:24 PM
M
mawcoach Offline
M
Okay, this is a legitimate question. I might have one or two guys who could compete at a level in this tourney that would medal them next year. How do you think other coaches would feel if I brought kids who bust their a$$ in practice and want to wrestle that level of competition? I don't want to water down the field, but I do have some kids, with less than 3 years experience and losing records this year, that love to wrestle the best because they understand that's what it takes to become better. I was thinking of paying their entry fee and letting them wrestle in this as a reward for their determination. Thoughts?

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37163 05/31/05 12:20 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
I don't think it waters anything down. The only way this tournament gets watered down is if people don't come. PLEEEEEEAAAAASE don't make this a small vs. large school debate, but this will be a time for some people to prove that certain kids can beat other division state placers.

Will this tournament have a team standing? If it does, it will be tough for contenders to leave kids at home that might win a couple of matches, even though they are not tough enough to place. Of course the $25/kid entry might make it easier to leave them. I would like to see a team discount. A team like Norton, Bishop Carroll, AC, Hoxie, etc. would have to pay $350 to bring their tough kids. Throw on hotel and food. This could easily be the most expensive tournament of the year.

I'm still not sure what our administration is going to say, but we plan on bringing as many as possible. The bigger the better, right?

Coach Jilka

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37164 05/31/05 12:29 PM
TCarmona Offline
I don't know jilka. You are bigger, but does that make you better than me?

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37165 06/01/05 03:04 AM
Ryan Jilka Offline
It's only one of the reasons Champ.

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37166 06/01/05 03:54 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I agree with Jilka on this one...I think teams should even bring "B" teamers if they wish...it's hard to say how many people will show up...it's one thing to get verbal comitments, it's another to get kids at a tournament during the break.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37167 06/02/05 04:25 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I also think we should open up this tournament to other states, why are we just limiting it to Kansas? I think if you only are getting one or 2 from some schools then maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a few schools from bordering states to come.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37168 06/02/05 06:03 PM
TCarmona Offline
Easy Swayz........baby steps. You can't just start building the building when the foundation hasn't even set up. You can always add more, but don't get greedy.

Jilka you mabe be bigger, but sometimes bigger is uglier! Like your mama!

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37169 06/02/05 09:14 PM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
Well, I think commmon sense needs to be used here by coaches. If you have a kid who has never placed at state, leave him home. It is up to us to make this a good tournament. I have four returning state placers.
Michael Creekmore, Daniel Munoz, Bishop Price, Xavier Louis (2004 placers). If I did something like this, this is all I would take to this tournament.
I do have a few good wrestler that might win a few matches, but I don't believe this is the point of the tournament. If this tournament happened last year. I would only have taken Tim Elliot and Michael Creekmore (my only 2003 placers).
Again, common sense among coaches. You might have an undefeated freshman. You still leave him home b/c he is not a placer. That Furches kid can compete with anybody in the state. Might win 103 this coming year. But he should stay home. This would keep us all true to the intended format of the tournament. No offense to the Furches by the way. I saw him wrestle for the first time the other day and I say this kid is a tough cat (Panther, no pun intended).

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37170 06/03/05 10:04 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I don't think anybody should stay home...I think teams should send whomever they can as I truly think we won't have the turnout some people want. I heard 32 man bracket which would be cool, but if only 2 or 3 are coming from each team, whose to say the 2 or 3 are all from 2 or 3 weight classes?

I can see it now 103 only having like 4 guys and a round robbin. Open it up to at least Colorado teams on the eastern part of the state and Nebraska teams on the southern part of that state, might get some more matchups and talent coming to see FHSU.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37171 06/05/05 02:45 AM
H
Harry LaMar Offline
H
Skirting the issue a tad. The tourney was intended to simulate a grand state,(my personal opinion). Bring only state placers.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)