Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48779 04/25/05 06:26 PM
iFeelFat Offline
JJ, until you post more than say 100 times, your opinion and sexual prefrence don't really apply here. Nothing against you, those are just the rules. So if you would kindly NOT spout your liberalized psycobabble and maybe post one of your own original ideas. Sound good? good.

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48780 04/25/05 07:40 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... I don't care what you say, that there is funny!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48781 04/25/05 07:41 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... and by the way, Larry stole that line from me.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48782 04/26/05 01:13 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by James Joyce:
From "Larry the Cable Guy"'s website:

These are just a few of the gems I was able to find on his own site. You'll find them all in the "Commentary" section. For the life of me I can't seem to find the word "sum-bitch" anywhere in the dictionary. I've looked in two and I'm beginning to get frustrated.

This is not funny and it is racist. I enjoy having a good time and laughing, however I don't think that "Larry the Cable Guy" has any talent and his "social commentary" is written with the mind of an incredibly stupid child of ten.
Quote from Stephen King, "The true test of a good writer is how many books they sell." I actually kind of like that quote, a great teacher who has no students really isn't a teacher. Larry the Cable Guy, like Foxworthy and others may not be someone you appreciate but I would venture that he is selling out more shows, and selling more CD's than all of us on this forum put together. We are not the true judge of talent, the thousands who are buying his material is. We may not like it, but that don't mean that we have the right to be critical of his comments. Frankly, he isn't a lot different than other comedians, who make some form of social commentary in their comedy. While I may not like everything he says, I need to consider that many do and how does that effect society.

Last thing on looking up the word you are talking about. Actually, that didn't originate with Larry, it came from the sheriff in Smokey & the Bandit.

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48783 04/26/05 11:24 PM
C
coach neil Offline
C
Come on.
I think LTCG’s joke about his sisters wedding, the UPS trucks (bridesmaids) and CW McCall’s song Convoy is one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard.

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48784 04/27/05 12:36 AM
James Joyce Offline
Posted by ifeelfat:
JJ, until you post more than say 100 times, your opinion and sexual prefrence don't really apply here. Nothing against you, those are just the rules. So if you would kindly NOT spout your liberalized psycobabble and maybe post one of your own original ideas. Sound good? good.

I am uncertain of the manner in which I am supposed to take this advice? I don't understand how you could insinuate that I am a homosexual. If I take offence at a joke about a black person, does that imply that I am black? Also, what exactly is "liberalized psychobabble?" I have not endorsed a liberal government, and if I have socially liberal views, you must explain to me how that is harmful or illogical. What is the problem if I feel that people should be allowed to live without people making their existence painful? This causes no problem, however, the passive-agressive bashing of groups does cause problems.

One of you said that the only real judge of talent is whether or not their product sells. I hope that the lunacy of this statement requires no refutation, but just in case, here we go: by that logic, Milli Vanilli had talent, writers of "Romance" novels have talent and the man that invented the "Chia Pet" had talent.

I feel that "Larry the Cable Guy" should be allowed to do and say as he pleases, but I think that others should be listened to before him. To prove my point, I shall leave you all with a few more words from that American Hero:
Ok, let's set the record straight on all the turd burglars and lickolatipusses getting married the past few days. It all boils down to this. These sumbitches could care less about getting married. If they wanted to be together and adopt kids and finger bang one another over ice cream while watching queer eye for the straight guy and Friends than they can do it all day long...Since the majority of people will always agree that this is a wrong lifestyle then the Elton Johns and the Rosie O'Donnell's of the world are going to the courts and hoping that brain dead judges will make laws to force people to accept something that morally they can't accept.

Now that's funny!

...yes I said yes I will Yes.
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48785 04/27/05 01:09 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I think someone needs to try decaf.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48786 04/27/05 02:04 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
or a calendar..... does he not realize wrestling season is OVER for the next 7 months (well folkstyle anyway), now is the time for fun and goofing around and enjoyment before the grind begins again.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48787 04/27/05 11:17 AM
Mike Furches Offline
One of us didn't say it, Stephen King said it, regarding the selling of a product, by the way I would say that those you include, including maker of chia pet, and those that recorded material for Milli Vanilli, and the writers of Romance Novels have talent. A good starting point for debate is what is your definition of talent? Do you find no benefit to satire? If not then I understand your position, otherwise I don't think you truly understand the nature of some comedy. By the way, is your screen name based on the Dubliner James Joyce? If so, it is a shame that one who stood so tall to prevent censorship, and the free expression of speech would be represented by your words on this thread. Especially when he himself had to fight that battle for so long and so diligently.

I also agree with Randy

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48788 04/27/05 10:02 PM
James Joyce Offline
Posted by Mr. Furches:
If so, it is a shame that one who stood so tall to prevent censorship, and the free expression of speech would be represented by your words on this thread.

It has become quite obvious that I simply cannot win, or even inspire a compromise, in this debate. I will never believe that "Larry the Cable Guy" has a gift for comedy or satire, because I am not inclined to find him humorous. What I have tried to display by posting some of the things that he has said on his website is that he uses sterotypes and ignorance to make fun of minority groups (Muslims, homosexuals, atheists, liberals etc.). I think that satire is appropriate if it is your own "group" that you are satirizing. For instance, Chris Rock makes funny observations about the "Black Experience" in America; he is allowed to do this because he has lived the life-- he hasn't heard of it second hand as "Larry" has done. However, to each his own brand of humor.

Upon Mr. Furches comment about James Joyce: I applaud you on recognizing that he wrote the greatest novel in the English language of the 20th Century, Ulysses, but also for the fact that you recognized his fight against censorship. You said that I am somehow vying for censorship; you are putting words in my mouth, sir. I have never said that. In fact, I said that "Larry" should be able to say as he pleases, but that others should be listened to before him. Also, I am sticking up for those, like James Joyce(he was also a social outcast), who are silenced everyday. Those same minorities are looked down upon and made to feel like Exiles(James Joyce reference) and that's not right. They feel censored.

Thank you all for reading.

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48789 04/27/05 11:41 PM
C
coach neil Offline
C
James Joyce

A couple of things here. How do you know what LTCG has and has not experienced? And, you use Chris Rock as your defense in this argument! I actually like his material, but Chris Rock has bashed all of the same minority groups that you have mentioned on this forum, but that is okay since he is black and he has lived the experience. That is one of the most ignorant and racist statements I have ever heard.

Just exactly what is “the Black Experience’? It sounds like a class that Ward Churchill teaches at the University of Colorado. If “the Black Experience” is about the downtrodden reaches of society in the United States, what does it have to do with Black? I can take you to areas of West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas, just to name a few, and show you the so called “Black Experience”, but the only problem is the people are not just black. They are from various ethnic groups. The socioeconomic hierarchy is a thing of the past it bridges all cultures and ethnic groups. And, by the way, social degradation has absolutely nothing to with someone telling a joke. If someone feels degraded by a joke, then they didn’t think much themselves in the first place.

Here is a piece of advice get out from behind that James Joyce book that you are reading and go out into the real world and live the real life experience. You can’t learn everything about life from a book. Git-R-Dun!

I know I have a small brain because I like Larry the Cable Guy, but it was large enough to earn my degrees.

One more time. Git-R-Dun!

Scott Neil
Social Studies Chair
Basehor-Linwood High School

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48790 04/27/05 11:57 PM
James Joyce Offline
As I have informed you already, I am surrendering, I am waving the white flag, I am acknowledging the fact that I lost. I cannot win.

I do hope you don't mean everything you say. I certainly am not racist, and if you believe that saying that Chris Rock can more easily make jokes about black people than white people can is the most racist thing in the world, then you have not heard racism.

Also, the reason I have not said anything about "the working poor" is that in our discussion, we were only speaking of "Larry's" targets. I never saw a comment he made about that "group," so I didn't mention them. I didn't put words in "Larry's" mouth, so please do not try to pretend that I don't respect their plight as much as any other decent human being would.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with my remarks about minorities; I know that I mean well, and that is good enough for me.

Also, I do apologize for my comment about people with small brains. It was a case of poor judgement. I do sincerely apologize.

And why the hell am I being attacked for liking books? You, a teacher for God's sake!

Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48791 04/28/05 02:55 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Man guys, my sides are truly splitting! I haven't had this much fun since my sharing of the Manhattan/Hoxie connection with Parkway Red!

I'll admit it ... I love to laugh ... and even to laugh at the demise of others. (kind of a slapstick thing) I hope in most cases that while laughing, I am laughing with the target. However, I will also admit, that I am sympathetic to those that are ridiculed and belittled.

As has been suggested, this forum seems to grow stale once folkstyle season is over. While I like reading the passions of Husker Fan and others, sometimes, I look to OUR page for the lighter side of life. This was my reason for starting this thread.

Hysterically, as I was finishing up this post, the Geico commercial, the one saying “it is so easy, a caveman could do it” was on the TV. Sometimes, people are self-righteously upset, by the statements of others but sometimes there is even humor in that.

JJ, what I would find funny, is if while you were announcing your surrender, you waved a confederate flag.

But that's just my opinion ... I think!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48792 04/28/05 09:15 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
well, excccuuuuusssse me!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48793 04/29/05 01:16 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually my golf swing resembles a caveman killing lunch!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48794 04/29/05 11:46 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually he is a rednecks redneck. He actually does a great job of establishing the bottom rung!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: American Idol: Larry the Cable Guy #48795 04/30/05 01:20 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Nothing like knowing you're the bottom of the barrel and proud of it, Larry keep Gettin' 'Er Done

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)