Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57677 09/13/05 01:10 AM
mikeholliday Offline OP
OP Offline
TMP senior Tait Weatherbee suffered a severe broken leg Friday night in a h.s football game. It's very possible Tait could be out for the year. This almost makes me sick to my stomach - a Sr. who has seen so much success and would be gunning for a state championship. Sure hope he heels fast and can make it back for the latter part of the year.

There's been several postings on here about whether wrestlers and bball players who really excel should risk injury and play football. I've always thought an athlete who is good at both should play both. Now I don't know.

Mike Holliday
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57678 09/13/05 04:38 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Mike,

Sad news indeed to hear. I know when I'm watching Chapman play I cringe all the time. Will Irvine and Jon Arveson are two of our big playmakers and I know one bad blow and they would be done on the year.

Watching the news on Friday nights when they do the scoreboard show I hear of all sorts of different wrestlers doing well, I know Jesse Strawn had an INT for a TD a week ago. I don't know though. I guess if you want to wrestle in college you should focus more on that for you senior year, but I can't knock anybody for wanting to play football either. I'm sure injuries happen in other fall sports but just not as severe in a lot of cases.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57679 09/13/05 04:56 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Sad news to hear, a 2 time runner-up and a 4th and he may not get a chance to ever win one. I guess that's a risk you take playing football. He knew the risks and took them but unfortunately for him he lost the gamble. I hope this is the only truely severe injury to wrestler this year, but the season's till young.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57680 09/13/05 04:59 AM
B
briksdad Offline
B
I agree with Aaron. You can never knock a kid for putting out effort.
It's always bothered me that kids only go out for one sport in smaller schools. I sometimes wonder what might have happened if some of the kids that are currently on the sidelines came out for a sport and contributed.
You are only in high school once and it goes by way too fast not to make the most of it.
Tait is a very talented athlete and it is never a good thing when someone gets injured, but I'm sure that he was doing what he wanted and loved to do.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57681 09/13/05 01:13 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by briksdad:
It's always bothered me that kids only go out for one sport in smaller schools. I sometimes wonder what might have happened if some of the kids that are currently on the sidelines came out for a sport and contributed.
You are only in high school once and it goes by way too fast not to make the most of it.
Tait is a very talented athlete and it is never a good thing when someone gets injured, but I'm sure that he was doing what he wanted and loved to do.
I was one of those that played football and wrestled my freshman year but there are politics in small town America that keep the big kids off of football teams and away from sports in general. For 3 years I was a mascot and didn't have to play the name game and was a 4 year varsity letterman.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57682 09/13/05 02:32 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Quote:
Originally posted by briksdad:
I was one of those that played football and wrestled my freshman year but there are politics in small town America that keep the big kids off of football teams and away from sports in general. For 3 years I was a mascot and didn't have to play the name game and was a 4 year varsity letterman.
A Coach in a small town playing the name game? I would never suspect that.... Who I am kidding it's an all too common problem. That's why wrestling is #1, there's no way to shelter a "named" kid, it's one on one the better will always prevail.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57683 09/13/05 02:53 PM
B
briksdad Offline
B
I agree with you that there is a lot of politics in high school sports. I don't agree with it, but it is there.
I also believe that some of those issues can be worked through. I have moved my kids three times since they have been in school with job related moves. They have always bounced back, made new friends and fit into the "system" that they were in at the time. I give them credit for that. I also realize that isn't always how things work out for everyone in those kinds of situations. Perhaps we were lucky.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57684 09/14/05 12:33 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Weatherbee is a good westler on a pretty poor football team. He is also a small kid. He may be the exception to my rule.....I would say that every wrestler should play 3 sports in high school. Even if it's golf in the spring, it is my belief that kids do better when they are active.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57685 09/15/05 01:25 AM
Trego Wrestler Offline
Weatherbee may be small in size but he hardly has any fat on him and ive tried to tackle him before in a JV game and it wasnt pretty. I really dont consider him small.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57686 09/15/05 04:41 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Shelstin:
Weatherbee is a good westler on a pretty poor football team. He is also a small kid. He may be the exception to my rule.....I would say that every wrestler should play 3 sports in high school. Even if it's golf in the spring, it is my belief that kids do better when they are active.
I would say that if they aren't involved year round in something semi active to do weights when they aren't doing anything else.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57687 09/15/05 03:08 PM
power54 Offline
Everybody has to make thier own decision about playing more than one sport. I will play as many as I can because I don't want a "What if" that I could control. An injury in a sport is somethin that you can't control, but giving up or not going out at all is something you can.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57688 09/15/05 03:41 PM
L
Lance J. Engel Offline
L
Good response. Everyone that knows Tait realizes he is not a quitter. Let's hope him the best in recovery and pray he comes back with a vengeance. Our prayers are with him and his family. Good luck Tait!!

Lance J. Engel
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57689 09/15/05 09:04 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
If my son only played one sport he wouldn't be doing wrestling. Don't get me wrong, he loves to wrestle but loves playing baseball more. He knows that playing football he could get injured. He knows going out for wrestling, he could get injured. But he also knows that the skills and techniques he learns in football and wrestling carry over into baseball. I fell really bad for Tait and hate to see someone end their sports season with an injury. However, not all broken bones accure on a football field (or mat or baseball field ect.) Power 54 said it best.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57690 09/15/05 10:17 PM
B
briksdad Offline
B
I had meetings all day today in Hays. Several of the people at work told me that Tait had to go back in for another surgery because they had problems with the pin they put in???
Is anyone closer to the situation that would have an update?
If so let please let Tait know that our prayers are with him.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57691 09/16/05 12:00 AM
iFeelFat Offline
mike holliday, you wanted to say HEALS, not heels. I got your back yo. And Tait smells like salty old tuna fish.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57692 09/16/05 05:21 PM
L
Lance J. Engel Offline
L
Tait was taken from the game to the Manhattan Hospital to undergo surgery. They started the surgery at 12:30 and finished at 5:00. He had so much swelling they had to make two incisions from the knee to the ankle on each side of the leg to relieve it. They made another incision down the front where they inserted a rod and three pins. The swelling was so bad they couldn't stitch the incision shut. They put a half cast on the back of the leg and wrapped the front. Monday he went back to surgery, the doctor reset the rod and pins and stitched most of the incision shut. Yesterday they finished stitching the incision shut. They were afraid he would have to have skin and bone grafts, but looks like he's avoided that. They were hoping he would be released today so he could watch tonights game!

Lance J. Engel
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57693 09/16/05 06:03 PM
billy_mcjackson_ripjc Offline
That's disgusting.

Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57694 09/17/05 12:48 AM
mikeholliday Offline OP
OP Offline
Tait was at the TMP homecoming parade and obviously the game. His leg is pretty wrapped up.

Mike Holliday
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57695 09/17/05 05:04 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Why did he have to go all the way to Manhattan when TMP is in Hays?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Tait Weatherbee...football injury #57696 09/17/05 04:44 PM
mikeholliday Offline OP
OP Offline
Aaron...assuming he went to Manhattan because they played football in Abilene when he broke his leg.

Mike Holliday
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)