Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Becoming a High School Certified Official #63757 08/30/05 07:31 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
B
How do I go about doing this?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63758 08/30/05 09:20 PM
B
bullhead Offline
B
Click on the officals link on the home page. This will answer all your questions.

Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63759 08/31/05 04:16 PM
D
Dan the Man Offline
D
Go to kshsaa.org and there will be plenty of info about becoming an official. The main thing is to pay the registration fee and get to the rules and area superviser meetings. Good Luck.

Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63760 09/01/05 05:44 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Ok in regards to apparel to wear. I went to the KSHSAA website for that and the only stuff they have is baseball caps and stuff. Where do you all recommend to get good quality officials shirt/slacks whistle/armbands/coin? Also do the shoes have to be black or can we wear wrestling shoes?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63761 09/01/05 09:17 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Ok in regards to apparel to wear. I went to the KSHSAA website for that and the only stuff they have is baseball caps and stuff. Where do you all recommend to get good quality officials shirt/slacks whistle/armbands/coin? Also do the shoes have to be black or can we wear wrestling shoes?
Cliff Keen Athletic: Wrestling

Sunflower Wrestling

Suplay Wrestlers World

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63762 09/01/05 09:28 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Also do the shoes have to be black or can we wear wrestling shoes?
National Federation of State High School Associations

2004-2005 Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 3 Officials and Their Duties (Page 10)

Section 1 Referee

Article 1 The referee's uniform consists of a short-sleeved knit shirt, with alternating black and white 1-inch stripes, full-length black trousers, black belt (if worn), black socks, and black gym shoes without colored highlights . The referee shall be neatly attired and have other accessories, including a colored disk, a black lanyard and black whistle, red and green armbands, and a kit to conduct the random draw. The red armband shall be worn on the left wrist and the green armband on the right wrist.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63763 09/15/05 04:44 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
Quote:
Also do the shoes have to be black or can we wear wrestling shoes?
National Federation of State High School Associations

2004-2005 Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 3 Officials and Their Duties (Page 10)

Section 1 Referee

Article 1 The referee's uniform consists of a short-sleeved knit shirt, with alternating black and white 1-inch stripes, full-length black trousers, black belt (if worn), black socks, and black gym shoes without colored highlights . The referee shall be neatly attired and have other accessories, including a colored disk, a black lanyard and black whistle, red and green armbands, and a kit to conduct the random draw. The red armband shall be worn on the left wrist and the green armband on the right wrist.
I've heard there are places to get some of these items like the refs shirt, disks, and armbands at an affordible price...any suggestions?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63764 09/15/05 05:02 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
[QUOTE]I've heard there are places to get some of these items like the refs shirt, disks, and armbands at an affordible price...any suggestions?
Quote:
Cliff Keen Athletic: Wrestling

Sunflower Wrestling

Suplay Wrestlers World

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63765 09/16/05 03:10 AM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Swayz,

If you go to the KWOA meeting they help you with everything. I purchased all my stuff and then the stuff for my boys at the meeting. It is a day well spent and it is like the first weekend in Nov. They have speakers and help you with signing up and the test and getting jobs.

Let me know if you can't get the info you need regarding this meeting.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63766 09/16/05 05:07 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by CoachEd:
Swayz,

If you go to the KWOA meeting they help you with everything. I purchased all my stuff and then the stuff for my boys at the meeting. It is a day well spent and it is like the first weekend in Nov. They have speakers and help you with signing up and the test and getting jobs.

Let me know if you can't get the info you need regarding this meeting.

Ms. Jenni
Are those the meetings they have at different places? I think Salina is my best bet to go to. Do I have to pre-enroll for the event? I know I have to get my $40 off for dues...anything else I might be missing?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63767 09/18/05 02:10 AM
Shane Koranda Offline
http://www.kwoa.org
Here's our site. Most everything you need to know to get started is on there.

Our clinic will be at El Dorado's Civic Center this year on Nov. 5th (always held on the first Sat. in Nov. each year). We'll start at 8 am with Registration.
Our clinician will be Dr. Pat McCormick, Head Official for the NCAA Wrestling Tournament.
Cost of the CLINIC is $27. Lunch is provided. Rick does his rules meeting for us at 1 pm and then we cover the rules test afterwards.

Feel free to call or email me to ask whatever questions, as I'm on the KWOA Advisory Comm.

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63768 09/18/05 03:45 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I thought there was several different meetings throughout the state...that's why I was looking at the one in Salina since it's closer and I'm having enough trouble going to be able to afford the $40 ref registration, let alone the uniform to ref in.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63769 09/18/05 08:58 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
There are: http://www.kshsaa.org/OFFICIALS/Rules05-06.pdf

I just thought you and others would like more detailed info about our organization and clinic.

Good luck and let me know if there's anyway I can help...

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63770 09/19/05 03:01 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
There is no date to have the $40 in to the KSHSAA is there for new applicants?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63771 09/19/05 11:11 AM
D
Dan the Man Offline
D
You need to pay and register before the last rules meeting. Check the KSHSAA website for all the dates and locations of the rules meetings. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63772 09/20/05 02:35 PM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
Bronco,

First thing in becoming a high school official will be to clean up what you say about 6A wrestling. I caught your dig in another topic.

At first my thoughts were to recommend cleaning up your opinion, but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I will guarantee you that sometime you will have to officiate a match involving a 6A wrestler, and you will have to do so with maturity and fairness.

Your care in what you say would not only be appreciated, but is necessary.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63773 09/20/05 02:41 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Mr. Ulmer-

I made that remark to just add some humor. I will officiate the matches as a professional. On here I am just a person typing away, on the mat I would be there to perform a duty and that I would do. Please don't take what I say in here as truth usually I am just being me.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63774 09/21/05 12:12 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco Wrestler:
I made that remark to just add some humor. I will officiate the matches as a professional. On here I am just a person typing away, on the mat I would be there to perform a duty and that I would do. Please don't take what I say in here as truth usually I am just being me.

Alex
The problem with the statements regarding 6A and 5A is they are not isolated incidents. You have set a pattern of speaking derogatorily towards the large classifications. Due to this pattern, one can not take the comments as "humor", but as your opinion.

In the event you do become an official, and the opportunity presents itself to work a tournament with the large school classifications participating, you may find yourself in a position to make a close call, and if the call goes against one of the large school athletes, the wrestler and the coach may be concerned about bias.

There are many high school officials who read the talk forums and only a few post comments. The reason the vast majority do not post is to avoid any potential conflict and a perception of bias.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63775 09/21/05 02:20 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco Wrestler:

Alex
The problem with the statements regarding 6A and 5A is they are not isolated incidents. You have set a pattern of speaking derogatorily towards the large classifications. Due to this pattern, one can not take the comments as "humor", but as your opinion.

In the event you do become an official, and the opportunity presents itself to work a tournament with the large school classifications participating, you may find yourself in a position to make a close call, and if the call goes against one of the large school athletes, the wrestler and the coach may be concerned about bias.

There are many high school officials who read the talk forums and only a few post comments. The reason the vast majority do not post is to avoid any potential conflict and a perception of bias.
Everyone has a biased opinion inside. It's just the matter of fact that I speak mine. Other officals do not do it as they might be criticized or not allowed to referee certain places. They choose not to publicly display their thoughts, as I myself do. A wrestler is a wrestler and a match is match no matter what the classification, my opinion of the classifications is my own, but the wrestlers decide the match not myself.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Becoming a High School Certified Official #63776 09/21/05 04:26 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I really don't see why Alex thinking that the larger classifications are not as good as the smaller ones would have anything to do with a call he may make. And there are few tournaments to my knowledge that involve 6a schools and 321a schools. And Mr. Koranda is from Circle and has made several jokingly negative comments about Clearwater, yet he never made any bias calls against us. In my experiences as a ref, you're not to focused on who's out there. You're a lot more focused on what's going on.

Curtis Chenoweth
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)