Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame 2007! #94600 10/24/06 07:27 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The Kansas Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame will be recognizing individuals from SE Kansas in 2007.

The final details of the banquet will be forthcoming, however tentative plans are to have the banquet on Saturday, October 20, 2007 at a to be determined site in Chanute, Kansas. I will be suggesting the committee consider Ft. Scott as this city is closer to the geographic center of the region.

The SE Kansas region consists of the following counties:
Miami, Franklin, Osage, Linn, Anderson, Coffey, Bourbon, Allen, Woodson, Crawford, Neosho, Wilson, Cherokee, Labette, and Montgomery.

MORE TO COME!

Kansas Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #94601 10/24/06 07:47 PM
R
OP Offline
R
The first committee meeting to brainstorm names of Nominees to be submitted to the National Hall of Fame Committee for approval will be held this weekend (October 27-29, 2006) at the KWCA Convention in Salina, Kansas.

I will begin the Nominee list with the following names:

Mr. Ken Jones, Columbus, Kansas
Columbus High School, former high hchool coach and current Superintendent of Columbus USD 493.

Mr. George "Ed" Jackson, Caney, Kansas (Posthumous)
Former high school coach and former high school and NCAA wrestling official.

Please assist the committee by providing names of nominees, from this region, for consideration for this honor. Do not worry about the qualifications as the committee will follow the guidelines set forth by the National Hall of Fame - but we need Names.

MORE TO COME!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #94606 10/24/06 11:30 PM
usawks1 Offline
I would think Coach Jody Thompson is on the list!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: usawks1] #94623 10/26/06 01:45 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Other name possibilities:

Earl Jones, Coffeyville
Gary Blosser, SFT
Bob Cairns, SFT
Eric Methvin, Chanute
Steve Gorsuch, Paola
Doug Vander Linden, Burlington

Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: Nigel Isom] #95393 11/28/06 12:29 AM
I
ike Offline
I
There are several influential names mentioned above (Cairns, Blosser,etc). I don't think any of the above mentioned have had the influence on SE Kansas wrestling that Jody Thompson has had. He started the Labette Community College program, for years ran the Parsons city league for youth, summer freestyle/greco. He has coached dozens if not hundreds of successful high school coaches (several in SE Kansas) and several college coaches (two of them National Championship coaches). The list of accolades is much more impressive than what I just stated.

Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: usawks1] #111807 09/11/07 11:53 PM
R
OP Offline
R
The State Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, OK approved the following nominations from the Kansas Chapter.

1. George E. (Ed) Jackson, (Posthumous) Caney, Kansas
Former Referee and High School Coach

2. Earl Jones, Coffeyville, Kansas

3. Kenneth D. Jones, Columbus, Kansas
Former Coach

4. Jody L. Thompson, Parsons, Kansas
Former Labette Community College Coach, Parsons High School Coach, USAW Wrestling Junior and Cadet Coach, etc.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #111808 09/12/07 12:10 AM
R
OP Offline
R
This years banquet dinner will be held October 20, 2007 (Saturday) in Chanute, Kansas at the Good News Center. Dinner will be provided by Good to Go Catering and served by the Chanute High School wrestling team along with 4A State Wrestling Coach of the Year Andy Albright.

Schedule of Events:

4:00 P.M. - Social Hour - Tioga Suites, Chanute, KS
Tioga Suites and Safari Grill and Brewing Company

5:00 P.M. - Dinner - Good News Center, Chanute, KS

6:00 P.M. - Plaque Presentation and Awards Ceremony

For ticket information and reservations please contact
Robert M. Gonzales
robertgo@manhattan.k12.ks.us

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hall of Fame 2007! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #113143 11/04/07 10:40 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thompson gets 'Lifetime Service to Wrestling' award

By Ron Riley

Sports Editor

Parsons High School wrestling coach Jody Thompson had been here before. Literally. Thompson was one of three individuals given a "Lifetime Service to Wrestling" award last Saturday in Chanute by the Kansas chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. Thompson had already been honored by the National Junior College Wrestling Hall of Fame, the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Hall of Fame as part of the 1969 NAIA champion Adams State College team, and the Kansas Wrestling Association Hall of Fame. But Thompson said this latest ceremony was his favorite.

"My son Joel introduced me," Thompson said. "And it turns out he's an even better public speaker than I am. He did a great job."

Thompson also knew the other two people given lifetime service awards, Ken Jones and George Jackson, and he knew Earl Jones, who was given the "Medal of Courage" at the event. Earl Jones was a two-time national champion at Labette Community College under Thompson's replacement there, Joe Renfro, in 2004-05. Ken Jones took over for Thompson as wrestling coach at Columbus High School when Thompson left there in 1973 to come to LCC. And Jackson, who was honored posthumously, was a wrestling official at LCC for more than 10 years.

"It was great to get to see those guys and laugh with them and hug them," Thompson said.

Being among those old friends, Thompson said, reminded him of something he calls the "Get rid of Thompson" effect.

"Everywhere I've been, the guy who followed me has just done a phenomenal job," he said. "I left Topeka-Seaman and then they took second in the state. I turned Columbus over to Ken, and he started winning state. I was at LCC for 28 years, I brought in Joe Renfro as an assistant with the understanding he'd take my job when I retired, and as soon as I got out, the next four years he finished sixth, first, third, and second in the nation."

Thompson laughed as he recalled what he told the crowd.

"They'll be telling me to get out of here (Parsons) any day now," he said. "Whoever replaces me will kick your rear. I'm like the bridesmaid."

Thompson said the ceremony was a good way to begin to get a push on the upcoming Parsons wrestling season.

"I want to get things going," Thompson said. "My job now is to put the wrestling train back on the tracks here."

Thompson said he wants his wrestlers to understand the importance of tradition represented by individuals like those honored in Chanute.

"Football players at OU, basketball players at KU, they understand the tradition in those places," he said, "and it reminds them every single day what it takes to succeed."

Thompson said he's tried to stress tradition in his time at Parsons High School.

"I spent one whole summer piecing together the wrestling records," he said. "And I put a list of the great wrestlers, ones who'd won a state title, on a t-shirt that said 'Preparing for the future, remembering the past.'"

Thompson said he's glad he coaches an individual sport like wrestling. It makes rebuilding a program a little easier, he said.

"If you have one outstanding individual, he can go all the way to the top, and the others can see that and see what it takes," he said. "With your team sports, an outstanding individual might get lost among the rest of the team."

Thompson said that his enthusiasm for the little details of being a coach dropped after his retirement from LCC. Now that he's back, he said, trying to build something at Parsons, he's ready for the challenge.

"My enthusiasm for all the travel and the practices waned," he said. "But I can crank it up to get this thing going."

10/29/2007; 1:30:49 PM

Richard D. Salyer

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)