Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! #172168 08/21/10 02:44 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
This challenge will either test your Old School knowledge or your ability to search the archives!

This thread (perhaps still the most pages thread) told of a community of wrestlers in the Kansas City area! What school did most represent? What was the acronym labeling their group? What did those initials signify? What was the site of their Nirvana?

A few years ago a young man from Manhattan was legendary posts (as were several in that time) buy this one went on to attend a university in the East! What was the young mans name? What school did he attend? What was one of his infamous pet peeves? What was the name of his attempt to combat "our" sins?

Perhaps our most controversial posters stirred the pot by having a less than glowing opinion of Kansas wrestling! What was his name? What was the event the led to his disappearance?

Several years ago, yours truly posted of certain exploits that may or may not have been true! Who was the female that series was about? Who was my "partner in litererary crime?"

... that will get you started! Add your own!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: usawks1] #172171 08/21/10 05:42 AM
RJW1 Offline
#1- I can't remember all the Prant Garker (Grant Parker) answers. I know he hated bad spelling and poor grammar!

#2- Good ole Gutwrench! Did he disappear over a Metro Result?? Not sure there.

That is all I have. Someone with a better memory or the time to research can fill in all the blanks!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: usawks1] #172178 08/21/10 11:34 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: usawks1
This challenge will either test your Old School knowledge or your ability to search the archives!

This thread (perhaps still the most pages thread) told of a community of wrestlers in the Kansas City area! What school did most represent? What was the acronym labeling their group? What did those initials signify? What was the site of their Nirvana?
R.A.O.S.
The high school was Kansas City Turner; R.A.O.S.; Royal (?)Ancient(?) Order of Steve's; Steveville.

A few years ago a young man from Manhattan was legendary posts (as were several in that time) buy this one went on to attend a university in the East! What was the young mans name? What school did he attend? What was one of his infamous pet peeves? What was the name of his attempt to combat "our" sins?
As stated by Rick Williams, the individual was Grant Parker; Hofstra University; poor grammar and spelling and a bigger truck (avatar) were his pet peeves.

Perhaps our most controversial posters stirred the pot by having a less than glowing opinion of Kansas wrestling! What was his name? What was the event the led to his disappearance?
Former Shawnee Mission East head wrestling coach John Sonderegger. The coach made a bet regarding the outcome of the Kansas City Metro Classic. The coach was on the losing end of the wager. To Mr. Sonderegger's credit, he was an NCAA All-American at the University of Missouri and was the Univeristies first Big Eight wrestling champion (1984).

Several years ago, yours truly posted of certain exploits that may or may not have been true! Who was the female that series was about? Who was my "partner in litererary crime?"
Your mystery fantasy woman was Waunita; Mr. Deere.

As you will recall, I protested regarding the posting of your fantasies as they crossed the line.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #172191 08/21/10 07:59 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Guess you have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat Mr. Williams and Mr. Salyer. I'll bet Richard had all of those answers on the tip of his fingers. smile

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Jim Gaither] #172193 08/21/10 10:16 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... yes, however they were incomplete!! There are a still a couple of sub-questions and one was not the answer I was looking for!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: usawks1] #172194 08/22/10 01:13 AM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Okay, I'll try.

1. RAOS, Turner High School in KCK, RAOS - Royal and Ancient Order of Steves, Steveville playing naked frisbee.

2. Grant Parker (aka Prant Garker), Manhattan HS and Hofstra U, Poor spelling, Proper Spelling Movement (PSM)

3. gutwrench1, KC Metro Classic 2006

4. Wuanita, Clint Deere

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Jim Gaither] #172195 08/22/10 01:48 AM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Here is one for the old farts:

1. Last year they had Grand State and where was it?

2. Last year they had Sub-State where were they and what were the teams that won them?

3. While there are several 4X state Champs, what is the highest amount of a Grand State champ and who is he.

I myself do not know for I left the state back in the early 80's maybe there is someone who can enlighten my ignorance.

Last, who can name some of the early kid club starters like in Salina Gary Harding is the one who got it started. We owe those guys so much but it is just amazing what USAWrestling-Kansas has developed into.

OK, really last one, who was the 1st National President for USAWrestling?

Coach Peterman

Last edited by P. Pitbull's Old Dog; 08/22/10 01:49 AM.

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: P. Pitbull's Old Dog] #172209 08/22/10 07:39 PM
B
Bill Johnson Offline
B
Another Trivia Question: I watched the match when John Sonderegger of the Univ. of Missouri won a Big Eight Title in 1984. Question is who did he beat ?

Hint the person he beat went on the win the NCAA title the same year.

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Bill Johnson] #172210 08/22/10 08:15 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Bill Johnson
Another Trivia Question: I watched the match when John Sonderegger of the Univ. of Missouri won a Big Eight Title in 1984. Question is who did he beat ?

Kenny Monday from Oklahoma State.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #172211 08/22/10 08:25 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Originally Posted By: Bill Johnson

Kenny Monday from Oklahoma State.

Here is more on that: http://www.wrestlingstats.com/big8/pdf/Big%208-1984.pdf

Monday would still get the top seed at the NCAA's and Sonderegger the 8th seed, thus they met in the quarters, where Monday would pin Sonderegger. Sonderegger lost to Urbano of Arizona State 7-2 for 4th.

Also...John Smith was runner up in the 1984 Big 8 tournament too! Wound up not placing at NCAA's because of the old pull through method where if you lost on the front, the guy that beat you had to make the semis. Legend Rocky Bonomo wound up with similar fate, although he was pulled through and just didn't do well!

Enlighten Me!
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Enetophobic] #172212 08/22/10 08:30 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Ok...nothing to do with Kansas, but it is wrestling:

What was unique about the 1994 167lb title match at the DI NCAA Championships between Mark Branch of Oklahoma State and Laszlo Molnar of Cal-State Fullerton?

Also does anybody know who the last Non Division 1 wrestler was to All American at the DI Championships?

Here is another fun one...in DI's of 1995 a mere 26 points separated 2nd from 10th. Iowa dominated with 134pts, Oregon in 2nd had 77.5 points ant 10th place Oklahoma had 51.5 points. Teams 1-9 all contributed for National Champions in 10 weights. My question...how many all americans did the 9th place Illinois University team have with their 52.5 points (by the way 8th place North Carolina had 54.5 pts and 4 All Americans?

Last edited by Enetophobic; 08/22/10 08:52 PM. Reason: To add another question

Enlighten Me!
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Enetophobic] #172231 08/23/10 10:03 PM
K
klintdeere Offline
K
Waunita sightings still exist to this day in fact, several daytime sightings have occurred recently some 90 miles south of Liberal just off the banks of the Canadian river in the Texas panhandle.

The marriage and fatherhood obtained recently by Master Sweazy have no doubt sent the legendary she beast on a "walk-a-bout" looking for a worthy bio-father for her spawn.

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: klintdeere] #172237 08/24/10 03:02 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
alas ... as Coach Deere furthers the literary crimes it was in fact, ParkwayRed, who was my first co-conspirator!!

As far as the R.A.O.S., does anyone recall the "land of orange shorts?"

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: usawks1] #172250 08/24/10 07:16 PM
B
Bill Johnson Offline
B
Ok...nothing to do with Kansas, but it is wrestling:

What was unique about the 1994 167lb title match at the DI NCAA Championships between Mark Branch of Oklahoma State and Laszlo Molnar of Cal-State Fullerton?

Also does anybody know who the last Non Division 1 wrestler was to All American at the DI Championships?

Possible Answer: Mark Branch "Tore up" his knee but still won. and for the non-Div. I wrestler: I will say Pitt-Johnstown's Hwt National Champion Carlton Haselrig. not sure about the spelling. Haselrig won 4 D-II titles and 3 D-I titles if I remember correctly.

or was it SIU's 118 lber. I forget his name, but not the butt-whooping he gave me.

Am I close ?

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Bill Johnson] #172255 08/25/10 03:25 AM
Cokeley Offline
Billy, thanks for bringing up one of the most interesting stories in wrestling. Carlton's high school didn't have wrestling yet he was able to go to state and win back-to-back PA state titles. Then he won 6 NCAA championships and didn't play football but got drafted and played in the NFL. After some struggles with alcohol and drugs he popped back up in the MMA scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Haselrig

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08100/871612-66.stm

Carlton Haselrig
NCAA Division I Collegiate Championship
Year Weight Place Points Team View
1989 275.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
1988 275.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
1987 275.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

USA FILA Junior World Greco-Roman Championship
1985 300.0 1 Pitt-Johnstown [team]

USA FILA Junior World Freestyle Championship
1986 300.0 1 Pitt-Johnstown [team]

NCAA Division II Collegiate Championship
1987 300.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown [team]
1988 300.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown [team]
1989 300.0 1 University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown [team]

Last edited by Cokeley; 08/25/10 10:31 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Cokeley] #172256 08/25/10 03:45 AM
Cokeley Offline
NCAA DII 118 lb Champion
1984 Tim Wright, SIU-Edwardsville
1985 Tim Wright, SIU-Edwardsville
1986 Tim Wright, SIU-Edwardsville
1987 Tim Wright, SIU-Edwardsville

In 1987 Tim finished 3rd at the NCAA DI tournament. His son, Brandon, is a stud now. He will be a FR at the University of Indiana.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Cokeley] #172267 08/25/10 03:10 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Coach Johnson,

Never been to Norton, but have great admiration for your team's legacy.

As to the answer...

Believe it or not Branch and Molnar were both unseeded!

As for the non DI, I have to double check. I think it was around 1993, and a Nebraska-Omaha guy.

Enlighten Me!
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Enetophobic] #172280 08/25/10 10:29 PM
Cokeley Offline
I haven't confirmed this but according to my research the last year they let D2 Champs compete in the D1 tournament was 1991. Dan Russell was reported to be the last D2 AA.

Dan Russell
NCAA Division I Collegiate Championship
1990 158.0 4 Portland State University
1991 167.0 4 Portland State University

USA Junior Greco-Roman Championship
1986 165.0 1 Oregon [team]
NCAA Division II Collegiate Championship
1988 150.0 1 Portland State University [team]
1989 150.0 1 Portland State University [team]
1990 158.0 1 Portland State University [team]
1991 167.0 1 Portland State University [team]

Dan Russell is a champion. While wrestling at Gresham High School, he won four state titles while compiling a perfect 95-0 record — with 87 pins. At Portland State, where he still holds the all-time pin record, he became the second person to win four Division II national championships. He’s won silver medals at the Pan American Championships and the World Cup and, in 1995, became only the second U.S. wrestler to ever win Russia’s Poddubny Tournament, an international competition billed as the toughest tournament in the world. (With Russian coaches, Russian officials and as many Russian wrestlers as want to enter, it isn’t uncommon to see the host country place 1-6.) The win earned him the unofficial title of Champion of the World.

Suffice it to say, Russell’s resume carries some weight in the wrestling world; so it wasn’t surprising to see the McMinnville High School wrestling team wide-eyed and eager to soak up every bit of knowledge he was willing to share Friday morning during a two-hour clinic.

“It was awesome,” Mac High senior Andi Hari said. “We got a lot of knowledge passed on to us today.”

Hari was Russell’s tackling dummy for the first hour Friday — he got a reprieve when Russell tabbed Jules Johnson to work with him for the second hour. Hari couldn’t see many of the techniques shared in the same way as his teammates, instead finding himself staring down at the mat, up at the ceiling or straight into Russell’s chest; the first-hand lessons were, in many ways, even better.

“It’s definitely an experience,” he said. “You learn a little more when it’s being done to you. When you can’t actually see what he’s doing, you’ve got to tune in really closely and pay attention to every detail. I think you pick up a lot of the little things more.”

Russell ran the clinic with enthusiasm and intensity, teaching holds, throws and finishes in incremental steps, scattering the wrestlers to work in pairs for several minutes before calling them back together to go over the next move with a quick, sharp whistle. And, while the tone was serious, not 10 minutes passed without Russell eliciting a round of smiles and laughs — even while punishing the group for a few slow-moving stragglers with a set of five precisely timed pushups.

“I really enjoy doing these,” said Russell, who used the films Karate Kid and Kung Fu Panda as teaching tools throughout the morning. “I talked with them about the importance of giving 100 percent, and that’s something we’ve got to do in life as well. When I teach, whatever I do, I want to do it to the best of my ability. And, if I do that, I think the enthusiasm shows through, and it is fun.”

Now a pastor in Battle Ground, Wash., Russell conducts clinics like Friday’s often, working to give back to the sport that gave him so much while trying to help young athletes learn lessons not only about wrestling, but about life.

“Wrestling has been very good to me,” he said. “I’ve been to 44 different nations because of wrestling. It’s an incredible sport, and this is an opportunity for me to give back. It’s an opportunity to teach a lot of things about the sport, but my hope is that kids learn that what makes them successful on the mat are things they can apply to the rest of their life to be successful there, too.”

In that vein, the final lesson Friday was not physical, but mental. It is a lesson that, Russell told the wrestlers, helped him defeat so many opponents, including those with whom he had no business “even holding their shoes.”

“I got to the edge of the mat, I closed my eyes and I asked myself two questions,” he said. “I knew if I could answer those two questions correctly, I was a champion. The first: Have I, in practice, given 100 percent to be the best I could be with what I have been given? If the answer is, ‘Yes,’ the second: Am I willing to go out now and give 100 percent to be the best I can be with what I have been given? If the answer is, ‘Yes,’ no matter what the score, you’re a champion. And you’ll win more than you lose.”

Mac High coach Shawn Keinonen said that, as important as the moves Russell taught may prove to be for his squad, the mental lessons — those that can and should carry over into everyday life — were the biggest.

“I think that wrestling is an extremely difficult sport, not just physically, but mentally,” he said. “It’s a grind. And those two things, I think, were a loud and clear message to the kids.”

And that’s exactly what Russell wanted.

“I think that, often, what sells papers, what sells stories, is all the bad things that happen,” he said. “I think that’s where a lot of people get the wrong impression, because they focus just on the negative things. But there are great things happening in this generation. I get to go around and see kids all over that are engaged ... they’re driven. They’ve got goals. They’ve got dreams. And I think that’s exciting to see.”

Last edited by Cokeley; 08/27/10 04:11 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Cokeley] #172308 08/27/10 01:36 AM
B
Bill Johnson Offline
B
Thanks Will for reminding me about the names. I did not have time to look any of this up I was just going off memory. I knew that they stopped letting Div. II athletes wrestle in the Div. I tourn. in the late 80's.

Tim Wright was a beast. I think he was quicker than Shawn Bunch (If that is possible).

Re: Old Blue's Trivia Challenge! [Re: Bill Johnson] #246831 06/05/17 05:40 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... revisited!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 91 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)