Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Subdistrict entry deadline............ #185825 03/07/11 02:40 AM
D
doug747 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
With the use of Trackwrestling, there is absolutely NO reason to have to have your entries in the Wednesday before the seeding meeting. Trying to recruit HS kids to wrestle the state series takes time. Many are tired of it, and takes a while to "miss" it. It is possible that our club alone could have picked up at least 3 more kids if given til Saturday midnight, the night before the seeding meeting. Winfield had some sort of miscommunication with HS kids, and 10 of them were unable to sign up. I understand we need a deadline, but it doesn't need to be this early........

My understanding is that this issue was brought up at the Exec Council meeting, and it was shot down.

Can someone give me a legit excuse for the Wednesday deadline? We are allowed to make changes the morning of the seeding meeting, so if by chance I entered a kid in the wrong weight class, I can change it SUnday morning, and no harm is done. So don't give me this "we have to have them in by Wednesday, so we can release them for coaches to look over to check for mistakes". All that does is cause mass panic of parents moving their kids around to avoid the tough kids........

By the way, it is comical to see the nervous dads asking "what weight is so and so going for subs?", trying to avoid competition.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: doug747] #185832 03/07/11 03:09 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I agree Doug, I spent three nights in a row trying to reach Parents/HS-Ms kids to confirm what they wanted to do. I still missed some that wanted to go out. Some my fault some theirs.

Just coming off of state it is hard to get all their information in 1-2 days.

Friday-Saturday deadline would be great.

I thought Track could handle this no problem???

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: doug747] #185834 03/07/11 03:12 AM
S
shwrestlingmom Offline
S
It was crazy that we had a few HS boys also that did not get in. They were at state the weekend before and not even thinking about deadlines for kids club. I don't see why they couldn't have made late entries for the HS kids. If you can still make changes you should be able to add them.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Teamroper] #185837 03/07/11 03:16 AM
2Boys Offline
I agree, the deadline is too early, especially if you are going to allow EXTRA kids to be added into a bracket, that were not in the bracket as of Wednesday 10 pm. A deadline is a deadline, and if you are going to allow changes the day of the meeting, then all the clubs should just be able to enter their kids at the seeding meeting. If you are afraid of your kid having to wrestle in the bracket they were entered in because you find out "who" they will be wrestling, then that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that all the clubs will follow the "rules" when there are so many being "bent" to benefit whomever.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: shwrestlingmom] #185838 03/07/11 03:17 AM
2Boys Offline
Originally Posted By: shwrestlingmom
It was crazy that we had a few HS boys also that did not get in. They were at state the weekend before and not even thinking about deadlines for kids club. I don't see why they couldn't have made late entries for the HS kids. If you can still make changes you should be able to add them.

Changes and add-ins for HS should be allowed, not for 6, 8, 10 and 12.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: 2Boys] #185848 03/07/11 03:39 AM
BLT Offline
I think additions should be allowed for anyone that's in HS or MS.
Until the state has the same schedule for MS thru out the state then there needs to be some flexability. We have kids just now finishing MS and they need that little bit of extra time to get back into the room.
So...
Who's submitting the bylaw change to the state?
Let's post the wording on here so we can make sure the wording covers all the bases.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: 2Boys] #185851 03/07/11 03:44 AM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
I agree...but to play devils advocate, no matter where you draw the line in the sand you will have procrastinators or people that won't get off the fence. The later you make the deadline the more work it is for those doing the heavy lifting.

That point being made, I personally think we should modify the bylaws to allow "day of seeding meeting" entries for an additional fee. There is a lot of work that goes into making things behind the curtain run smoothly. There is not any "Wizard of Oz".

However, until someone makes a request for bylaw change…rules are rules and we should follow them.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Mark J Stanley] #185855 03/07/11 03:54 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
I am seriously, "just asking", but when was anyone aware of knowing when this deadline was taking place? This way it can be brought up at next years meeting to be overturned. My kid is only 8, but I hate to see ANY kid miss an opportunity just because a club or coaches/parents weren't getting an email or forgot when the deadline was. Not the kids's fault. When it boils down, if the kids is a stud enough to make state, then someone should have been a little more responsible. I know taxes are due April 16th... Deadlines need to be enforced.

From what I heard the numbers at the meeting were down and it was a very close vote...

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 03/07/11 03:56 AM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Mark J Stanley] #185857 03/07/11 03:56 AM
BLT Offline
Can someone explain if there is a "walk on" rule and how it can be utilized?

Last edited by BLT; 03/07/11 03:57 AM.
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #185860 03/07/11 04:08 AM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
BLT...the walk on rule was put in place for the schools with late Middle School seasons. It can only be implemented in the case where a wrestler could not wrestler Subs or District toruneys because they were not released from their Middle School or High School teams. I have been involved in USAWKS for over ten years and I don't think it has been utilized in that time period. School seasons don't overlap our USAWA seasons anymore. I think the latest ending date for Middle School in KS was this past weekend and High School ends the last weekend in February.

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 03/07/11 04:08 AM.
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Mark J Stanley] #185863 03/07/11 04:22 AM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
JACD_Moison

The answer you are looking for can be found in Section III, Article II, and Paragraph 3 of our bylaws which can be found under the "Kids" in the "Divisions" clickable links to the left.

"Each District will establish a deadline, ten (10) days prior to the sub-district tournament after which no additional entries may be made."

I am in favor of exploring other language for our bylaws and trying to get it amended, which takes a 2/3 vote of our body to get passed...a simple majority vote will not suffice. So you have to show up in October and sit though the entire meeting in order to make democracy happen. Change cannot occur just because a bunch of us speak our voice on this forum...no matter how much since it makes.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Mark J Stanley] #185865 03/07/11 04:28 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
Thanks Mark, but the point I was trying to make was that everyone was aware of the deadline prior to Wednesday

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: JACD_Moison] #185869 03/07/11 04:45 AM
S
shwrestlingmom Offline
S
Not all of the HS kids knew of the date or they wouldn't of shown up to a practice on Thrus. asking to sign up. Some only knew by word of mouth. I know the 2 that wanted to sign up were asked by my son if they had signed up and they didn't know the deadline. My son knew because I'm the secretary for the kids club. Yes as a club we should have been more vocal but the HS kids only had HS State on their mind. They took a few days off to come back and find out they can't continue in kids club because they were a day late. I agree with Mark have a late entry fee.

Last edited by shwrestlingmom; 03/07/11 04:45 AM.
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: shwrestlingmom] #185872 03/07/11 05:18 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
there is always talk about keeping the numbers up but then a few kids are left out. not sure about some of these rules and the way some people think. say one thing then do another. makes the sport look pretty bad. yes i have heard it over and over. a rule is a rule. make up your mind. you want to get the numbers up or keep it by the rule book.

Scott Bockover
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Mark J Stanley] #185880 03/07/11 12:30 PM
J
Joe Knecht Offline
J
It seem s
Originally Posted By: Mark J Stanley

That point being made, I personally think we should modify the bylaws to allow "day of seeding meeting" entries for an additional fee.

It seems each year there are kids left off the list likely due to an adult's mistake. I've personally experienced this myself and it's not fair to the kids.

No matter where the deadline falls, I believe this same issue will happen. I'm in favor of any change that places the punishment where it belongs which I believe is with the adults.
I totally agree a "late fee" of sorts would accomplish allowing the kid to wrestle and punish the appropriate adults. The late fee would need to be enough to encourage the parents/clubs to get the entries placed in time.

The club director and parent of the kid could work out who needs to pay the fee. Mistake was by club, club pays. Parent didn't come to practice because their kid was sick, Parent pays.

The extra money generated could go to a scholarship or a Kansas D1 fund!

I have to admit that I don't know how to introduce a change like this. How does one do that?

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Joe Knecht] #185881 03/07/11 12:48 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
I feel this is a great idea. Every year some kid gets railroaded because of an adult mistake. Either they forgot the kid, or entered them at the wrong weight ect. ect.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #185882 03/07/11 01:00 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
Originally Posted By: BLT
I think additions should be allowed for anyone that's in HS or MS.
Until the state has the same schedule for MS thru out the state then there needs to be some flexability. We have kids just now finishing MS and they need that little bit of extra time to get back into the room.
So...
Who's submitting the bylaw change to the state?
Let's post the wording on here so we can make sure the wording covers all the bases.

I agree. 90% of our Middle School kids that want to do kids state will miss this year. Our MS season ends this coming friday, and they weren't thinking about kids until it was already too late. They demand no kids wrestling during school wrestling, but then they turn around and tell them they are too late to enter even though our middle school wrestles up until a day before sub districts. Really good rules, board. Your really making the sport grow and the kids love it. I will be willing to bet we lose over half of the team to BB in H.S. next year just because the kids feel wrestling and the adults who run it screw them. They already know you can blame others in basketball, but they have always been told they are to blame in wrestling. Well it don't look like it to them or me now.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: lylegeyer] #185909 03/07/11 03:15 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
Either they forgot the kid, or entered them at the wrong weight ect. ect.

Age and weight corrections are currently allowed the day of seeding.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: sportsfan02] #185937 03/07/11 07:17 PM
D
doug747 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I believe that if we allowed entries up until Midnight the day before the seeding meeting, we'd be able to say we gave the kids ample time to enter, and gave the clubs ample time to recruit.

So if seeding meetings continue to be on the Sunday before the subdistrict tourney, the deadline for entry is Saturday midnight the day before. Weight changes can take place prior to the seeding meeting.

We don't need any penalties, finger pointing, etc. Come hell or high water, this is the deadline.

I can see how we needed to have the entries in 10 days before the seeding meeting, prior to the use of trackwrestling, as there was lots of "hand" work.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: lylegeyer] #185953 03/07/11 08:16 PM
A
Auntie Em Offline
A
Our club gets information out to the kids that are wrestling in HS or MS and we let them know what is required and when the deadline for entry is. This can been done about the time that your HS team is doing Regionals. They can't practice or join kids club until after their session is finished, but they can have the information. Then it is in their hands and their parents hands to get the signup information in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Vieyra), 118 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)