Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... #193979 11/28/11 10:29 PM
G
GTStarks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have a HOT topic for everyone one here....especially coming from USA wrestling!!!.....We recently became a part of AAU wrestling and have been a part of USA for the last 2 year. we began as a novic in the 8u division and last yr we were at the bottom of 10u and were looking forward to another yr in the 10u division as a 5th grader....making the transition to AAU wrestling didn't seem like a big deal until we were JUST informed at this last tourney that the age divisions were changed effective THIS season. They stated that they were based solely on birth years and nothing else. Thus any child born in the year 2003/2002 would be in 8u, 2000/2001 would be in 12u, 1999/1998 would be 14u and so on....Thus, My 10 year old is wrestling with some 7th graders....does this make anyone else crazy?? Yes, I get it-it doesn't change things for 2/3 of the kids but it drastically changes things for 1/3 of the boys and virtually bumps them up a division!!!???

My question for you all is this....is this something that is coming down the pike for USA wrestling or is this something totally off key that AAU came up with out of left freaking field? I am so ticked about it....I felt kind of blind sided a bit bc there is something to be said about the difference in maturity levels etc at all division levels....With the division changes he has still taken his brackets but it is still very very early in the season....I do not look for this to hold up for too long....as a fifth grader he will soon be competing against boys that will have been practicing 5 days a week at the MS level???....

Just curious what your thoughts would be if you were in this situation etc.....

Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: GTStarks] #193984 11/29/11 12:33 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
The only fair way is to go by age - this is what USA Wrestling does at their national tourneys. Its the way it should be, or am I missing something.

Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: John Johnson] #193987 11/29/11 01:31 AM
Paratroop Offline
Kinda confused too. I guess if you mean USA wrestling KS where it's a Sept Bday or if you mean USA wrestling at the national level, where it is by birth years as of Jan 1. If you mean AAU moved to the USA wrestling standard at the national level then i feel your pain, as my boy misses an age group by 2 days. I've always told him it doesn't matter when you get to HS. Wrestle on, and don't worry about age groups. Dang mom, could have waited 2 days! Lol.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: GTStarks] #193995 11/29/11 10:44 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: GTStarks
Just curious what your thoughts would be if you were in this situation etc.....
If I understand this correctly you have chosen to participate in AAU Tournaments and now wish to complain of the rules of the organization which you voluntarily joined?

Stop complaining and enjoy your childs success and in the event your competitor's path becomes more difficult encourage the youth without making excuses.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: RichardDSalyer] #194038 11/29/11 06:37 PM
G
GTStarks Offline OP
OP Offline
G

Stop complaining and enjoy your child's success and in the event your competitor's path becomes more difficult encourage the youth without making excuses. [/quote]

I wasn't complaining to be complaining, Richard. Seems you always have a negative spin on everything. If you look at what I was asking it was simply a separation of myself from the situation and getting others take as well. I am curious if this is something that will be in AAU as well as USA wrestling or not or just something we walked into...that's it!

Yes, I am VERY proud of my son's success...yes it'll make him a better wrestler to compete against others that are at higher skill sets etc...but, to compete against boys at a MS level when hes a grade schooler is a "different league." Whatever-that's not what I'm here for anyways.

As far as you stating something about me jumping of to AAU and then complaining about it....no that's not the case. IF we had the choice we would still be right where we were....and that was here in Kansas...where the true sport of wrestling is...where our KS boys show em how it's done!!!! but we're not~unfortunately I had to move my family out of state for my job this season and have had to adapt to a WHOLE new culture of the "way the world works in youth wrestling" on the east coast. And let me tell you we are NOT in KS anymore....

ON A POSITIVE NOTE!!!!....I can seriously say that USA-KS wrestling is a ran like a well greased machine compared to what I have seen over the last 2 months here....I am so super serious! Kuddos to those of you in charge!!!

Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: GTStarks] #194039 11/29/11 06:56 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Keep us updated on how Garett is doing, I am sure he will be just fine whoopin AAU buts!

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: AAU Wrestling AGE Division Changes..... [Re: Teamroper] #194041 11/29/11 07:23 PM
G
GTStarks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks, Tracy! We will keep you posted for sure! So far we have competed in two tourneys and he has done very well! He has really come into his own this year for sure! Everything is falling into place even with the change in age division. He is in the 90# bracket right now but he is wanting to wrestle at 85# within the next month after he sheds his "football" pounds....Good luck to you guys as well! I look forward to watching you all on track as well!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)