Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO #200295 02/21/12 11:32 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO April 6-8

2012 Brute Nationals

by Brute » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Have you registered yet for this exciting event?

2012 Brute Nationals Wrestling Tournament
Join us and over 1400 wrestlers from over 30 states as they stake their claim as the best in the country in folkstyle wrestling! The event takes place April 6-8, 2012 at the Independence Events Center in Independence, Missouri, which is only minutes from downtown Kansas City. Attend Free Clinics and Seminars featuring NCAA Champions and All-American wrestlers. Enjoy our Free Fan Fest area, restaurants, shopping, and a theater all inside the complex! 12 Tournaments, 14 Mats, 8 All-Americans, 1 National Champion in each weight class. Compete in your grade level, in your weight class. Grades 1-12. Registration is now open. Register now to get a discounted early registration rate.

brutenationals.com
Are You Brute Tough?

See all the fun and excitement from last year …
Brute Posts: 1Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: smokeycabin] #200422 02/21/12 09:34 PM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
I am disappointed in the response I got from the people at Brute. Let's be honest it is a nice achievement for your kid if he/she places here, but if you win one match (or less) you are all-american. It is a bit of a joke compared to the Crown series or Roller series. Our club does not use this as rankings as "National placer" (because it is not the level of competition most nationals bring). Kansas state brackets are harder than most these "national" brackets. Now with this in mind, I wanted to enter my 8th grader in the sophmore division and was told no. My goal for him was never to be the best youth wrestler in the nation all these years, but to prepare him for high school wrestling. What better way to get some high school level matches prior to entering high school than here. Really, you can't wrestle up in grade? Is it unfair to the older kids? We have set ourselves at the disadvantage if anyone has. The majority of the kids he will wrestle next year will not be his grade, so why couldn't he have the opportunity to see what level he needs to be at next year vs. upper classmen?
Mike Chandler
Shawnee Mission,KS

Last edited by Takedown Machine; 02/21/12 09:40 PM.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Takedown Machine] #200598 02/22/12 01:39 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
can a Kindergartener sign up?

Jason Ford
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #200628 02/22/12 04:39 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Nope on Kindergarteners According to Information on Flier

It says 1st - 12th Grade

Brute Nationals
Independent Events Center, Independence, MO

April 6-8, 2012

Registration and Weigh-ins for Grades 1-8:
Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 7:00-9:00 pm

(Ricky and Rocky Bonomo Wrestling Clinic 8:00-9:00 pm)

Registration and Weigh-ins for Grades 9-12:
Friday, April 6, 2012 - 7:00-9:00 pm

(Clinic TBA 8:00-9:00 pm)

Note: Registration and weigh-ins are separated by grade. The Brute Nationals is an event where first through twelfth graders can compete against their own grade level, in their weight class, to stake their claim as the best in the country in folkstyle wrestling.
One Wrestler from each Division in each weight class in each grade will be crowned National Champion
The top 8 place finishers from each division in each weight class will receive awards and Brute All-American Certificates.
Top 2 wrestlers in each weight class will receive a FREE custom designed Brute singlet to wear for the finals. Each finalist coach will receive a FREE coaching shirt to wear for the finals. An "Outstanding Wrestler" award will be presented to each grade (1st - 12th Grade)
ALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS WILL RECEIVE A UNIQUE BRUTE - PRODUCT AWARD!
The format will be a traditional bracket system tournament. Each wrestler is guaranteed a minimum of two matches. There will be NO seeding - Blind draw - Weight classes with 5 or less wrestlers will be Round Robin Format.
Challenge Matches for wrestlers who lose their first 2 matches, to insure extra matches.
FREE CLINICS PLUS FREE EDUCATIONAL SEMINARS FOR PARENTS, PARTICIPANTS, AND FANS
It is the responsibility of the coach/parent/wrestler to check with your state rules committee regarding eligibility rules when participating in a National High School folkstyle tournament. Brute does NOT claim this to be a National High School Championship event or require wrestler's to compete in a pre-qualifying event

Hotel Discounts

Hotel Discounts will be available at the Hilton Garden Inn at 19677 East Jackson Drive, Independence Missouri through our partner R.E.A.C.H.E.S. You may make your *discounted reservations online or you may call 816-350-3000. Be sure to request the R.E.A.C.H.E.S. Group block to receive the group discount.

*HOTEL DISCOUNTS WILL BE CUT OFF MARCH 24, 2012. DUE TO HOTEL AVAILABILITY IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU REGISTER EARLY.

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: smokeycabin] #200655 02/22/12 07:06 PM
S
shwrestlingmom Offline
S
Wow so Lincoln Lemon, Aspen Kmiec, Donnie Lockhart, Nick Meck, Tyson Toelkes, and on on on are not high level competition??? These were just a few that I remember from last year that competed at Brute. I know the year before there was conflict with another tournament that detoured many from competeing at this tournament. But instead of going somewhere else help recruit the state qualifiers. Get your club to promote and coach at it. Seek those kids you know chanllenge your kid and recuit them to do off season wrestling. Maybe you could bump him up in weight to get better mat time. There is always something we won't agree with but how can you help make the change positivly and help grow wrestling in KS? By the way College coaches are at this tournament so it must have some quality wrestling or they wouldn't waste their time. I understand the wanting to see the next level competition and freestyle/greco during the spring/summer is your best opportunity. Good luck to your son in his highschool career.

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: shwrestlingmom] #200670 02/22/12 07:55 PM
in it to win it Offline
I totally agree there have been years when the competition was average but last year our bracket was stacked with the top three placers & or champions from OK, MO, KS, WI and it was great wrestling.

Besides, keep in mind that Brute Nationals "gives to promoting wrestling" via the REACHES program. Great awards are given, the event is great.

In it to win it.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: in it to win it] #200702 02/22/12 10:22 PM
B
Blast2l! Offline
B
Is there a link to previous years brackets to get an idea of how man kids would attend in a currant grade/weight?

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Blast2l!] #200704 02/22/12 10:34 PM
in it to win it Offline
Should be able to go to results.
Or search brute adidas nationals results (and the year).

In it to win it.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Takedown Machine] #200780 02/23/12 03:52 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
It clearly states in the flier "all done by grade year", also way to discount a kid's accomplishments by not knowing when to hit or not hit "submit". You must have been a DIV I national champion or possibly an Olympian. If you think your kid is that good, then wrestle him at 8th grade and tell us how he does after the tournament. I bet you'd be surprised at the level of talent and competition and make sure you post the results so we can all tell you how a mouth can override an a**... My son won 1st grade national champion and I am damned proud of it, but now some guy who thinks he knows all is putting kid's down for their accomplishments. I hope you're not a coach. Also, get your story straight about the "All American" comment, whether it's a Roller Prod. or Crown series, ANYONE can be crowned Natl' Champion or All American by winning 1 or less matches... There may be only 2 or 3 in their bracket... Do your research before you go posting idiotic comments

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: JACD_Moison] #200800 02/23/12 09:10 AM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
Hold on... where in my post was there any durogatory comments? I seem to recall saying it was a nice accomplishment. I think you should be proud of your boy placing/winning. Same as every parent should after every tournament. All I stated was that in my view "Nationals" should draw from all states and hence be tougher than the state bracket. Be honest was Brute tougher than your child's state bracket last year? Answer that honestly. If your child won Brute clearly he won KS state. It is just 1 state, not a melting pot of state level wrestlers from 10 states...hence, the "National" namesake. I never got durogatory with Brute. I simply stated I was disappointed with their response. But if this post is going to turn into name calling than I guess I lost sight of questioning policy or suggesting new thinking. Just because something is the way it's always been done does not always mean it has always been done correctly. I raised the question, why couldn't a child wrestle up in grade? I know what it states on the flier. Why can someone not have this choice? At one point people swore the Earth was flat...they were inaccurate. But now I'm an a$$.
Mike Chandler
Shawnee Mission

Last edited by Takedown Machine; 02/23/12 09:25 AM.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Takedown Machine] #200820 02/23/12 01:01 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Didn't call you an a$$ - I know for a fact that there were several state champions and runners up that didn't place at Brute last year. The great thing about Brute is that you only wrestle the same grade. So it makes it a more appealing to the kid that usually during the season (in MO Jan1 KS SEP1)wrestles some kids that are almost 2 years older. Example: My son is a great wrestler and he has qualified for state 3 years in a row but unfortunately has never placed. He has a July 20th birthday and I know for a fact that there is a HUGE difference from a maturity and physical standpoint when you're wrestling a kid that is a year let alone almost 2 years older. To a 10 year old that's 20% more experience. Almost like a 100 pounder wrestling a 120 pounder. Durogatory, "It is a bit of a joke"???

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: JACD_Moison] #200828 02/23/12 01:54 PM
in it to win it Offline
Michigan brings a great bunch of talented middle schoolers & HS'rs, more from Illinois. Whereas your breaking it down by grade level it may seem you have less but the powerhouses just may be there. Lots of great HS upsets even our KS Kids State Champions were taking losses in the battle. Iowa brings the heat as well as many other states.

By all means get a chance to meet & greet the guest clinicians (twins) and multi-NCAA champs Ricky & Rocky Bonomo!! If you've never met these two fellows then you've not encountered the full experience....have your kid do some fun "challenge matches" & play guitar hero on the drums/guitar etc. or jump on the blow ups in the free fanfest area.

Our birthday is later than yours JACD --- so this is a nice challenge when we're wrestling same grade. They have had wonderful champion prizes in the past from adidas backpacks that stated Natonal Champion to Jackets. If, your having 2nd thoughts, think again & sign up!

In it to win it.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: in it to win it] #200915 02/23/12 10:22 PM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
Now Jimmy if you would be open to more view points other than just your own, you made my point for me. A kid who has never placed at state won Brute. Nice singlet, nice accomplishment but not really the measurement of Tulsa or say Liberty this weekend. I hope you plan on attending Liberty Nationals Saturday. You will see a national bracket. Take the trip to Tulsa. Then ask your child (they are on the mats) he will tell you the level wrestling at Brute is not of the others. Can't fool the kids they recognize which tournaments are the top top. When state champs don't get seeded because they can go 0-2 as well, that is the best in the nation. Now Brute can not control this, they simply take the kids who register. It is what it is though, a spade is a spade. And I say it is not the level of the other National series.I understand the 20% advantage, but if we are looking to throw numbers out a kid who has been held back twice in theory would have a 200% advantage by grade. That is why wrestling is settled on the mat and not with math.
Now I never said I had a future olympian. I never stated he wanted to wrestle up for the competition (the following posts assumed that). He wants the high school level experience prior to wrestling high school (EXPERIENCE not COMPETITION). Now if trying to look into what a child wants and asking for an explanation or thoughts why we couldn't (which I have yet to see posted, just put downs)makes me a bad coach... than I guess I am. We need more bad coaches that will push/ and support a child's requests. That is why we are in youth sports I would hope is for the kids. Again, why couldn't a kid wrestle up in grade? Not inquiring about wrestling and whipping on kids younger or grade below. That I understand. IF IT IS THE CHILD'S DESIRE to wrestle up why couldn't he...other than rules say. I understand that. What is the thought process behind the rule?
Thanks, and I look forward to more "your a horrible coach" comments. FYI, I have 3 polo pullovers that they want coach's to wear in the finals. A red one, a blue one, and a white one. So I am not ignorantly commenting on Brute. We have wrestled it and I have coached 3 different kids in the finals and not a one of those 3 kids managed to place at Tulsa or Liberty.

Last edited by Takedown Machine; 02/26/12 12:27 PM.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Takedown Machine] #201351 02/27/12 03:13 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
Mike, we HAVE wrestled Tulsa, Big Horn, AAU Natls, Liberty Natls, so stop your BS about me not "pushing my kid" I'm going to lay this to bed because I can see your point of view isn't going to change, nor do you catch my drift. Some people just don't know when to shut their mouths or take their fingers off the keyboard. For the record, I never said a word about your kid being a "future Olympian", I was assuming you were an Olympian. So keep posting your comments, keep going, but I know what I'm worth and don't have any issues with my manlihood smile

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: JACD_Moison] #201365 02/27/12 08:29 AM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
Oh, I get it. So unless someone was in the Olympics or a DIV 1 champ they have no business chiming in? Is that really what you were getting at? Well clearly you have set me straight. Since you have all the right to tell me when I can or can not chime in because I am/was not an Olympian. Let's see what gives you the right to apply fingers to keyboard over anyone else.Clearly your career furthered mine, giving you all the rights by the standard you have set.
For the record I believe everyone has a right to chime in regardless of high school,junior college, NAIA,D1, or Olympic status. Everyone's opinion should be of equal value.
Funny when I google Jimmy Moison I don't get Olympic credentials either.
Mike Chandler

Last edited by Takedown Machine; 02/27/12 08:50 AM.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Takedown Machine] #201474 02/27/12 06:20 PM
C
Coach Prieto Offline
C
I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway..Has your 8th grade son beaten every 8th grader he has wrestled this year? If it is a yes then I have no problem with you trying to get him some competition. However if he hasn't then let him compete with kids his own grade/age and see where he is at. Big differences between an 8th grader and a 10th grader as far as maturity is concerned. Not all 8th graders have hit puberty where most if not all 10th graders have, so the strength difference will be a factor. I'm not saying your kid is weak or anything like that, just look at all the factors before doing...

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: Coach Prieto] #201489 02/27/12 07:30 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Crap sorry Mike. I failed to mention that I changed my name from Dan Gable a few years ago... my bad

The comment about the "Olympian" was merely suggesting that you were higher and mightier than others being able to ridicule and lower a KIDS accomplishments by saying "It is a bit of a joke" in your first post. Any parent or coach would be offended, but a bigger man to just shut his pie-hole when he's wrong. If your happy with your manliness, then pull it out and let's have a sword-fight...

The thought of a guy Googling me gives me the creeps, please stop

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: JACD_Moison] #201492 02/27/12 07:56 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
I all but garantee it won't be as tough as others
First same weekend as elementary duals
Second same weekend as ms duals
Third same weekend as usaw nats
Four same weekend as reno

And that's just off the top of my mind I hope everyone has fun and does well but it would be nice if it was timed better the duck is just stacked against it

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: hotrodder54] #201495 02/27/12 08:10 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Agreed Jon, their timing sucks...

Re: 2012 Brute Nationals - Independence, MO [Re: JACD_Moison] #201507 02/27/12 08:50 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
Here are the ups and down's I have with all 3 of the tournaments during this weekend:

Brute-For high school the competition is pretty tough and competititve. I think for the younger guys the competitition is not as tough, but for some kids it gives them an opportunity to see out of state kids and get some recognition and experience with that level. I think Brute is very pricey and I don't like how they wrestle Friday and then have you come back to wrestle finals on Sunday. It waste's time and money and I feel that is why they will never get the best competition there.

Reno-very top notch, but not as full of brackets. It is not as big as Tulsa, but Roller does a great job of selling it with more of a points value. It is a costly trip, but for a true hardcore wrestler or someone seeking a triple crown or chasing points for rankings (as it is a required event) then it is a good tournament. It also does not have as many kids entered as it once did. Many brackets have 12-20 kids in them.

Folkstyle Nationals-This is a short drive up to Iowa (about 5 hours for me). The competition is comparable to kickoff, but not quite as tough as Tulsa in all weights. The price is good and it is a USA Wrestling Event. It is wrestled in the UNIdome which will make any kid feel awesome to wrestle with 26 mats on a football field. The high school division is very competititve as is the kids division. It is the first leg in the triple crown for USA Wrestling.

I will say for Price, recognition, experience Folkstyle Nationals is my favorite. To all-american there you have to be a pretty tough cookie. The experience of the dome is bar none the most exciting. The kids will never be intimidated by a big facility after they experience it once. With the cost of coaches bands at Brute, which are rediculous, it is just as cheap for me to stay at the Super 8 in Waterloo and get better competition and a better overall experience that is held in 2 consecutive days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)