Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: 5a break down [Re: Lucas Baker] #202883 03/08/12 06:04 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Lucas,

This is what we have to work with. When a wrestler qualifies for State, regardless of their record, regardless of their High School classification, regardless of whatever else, then they should be proud of their accomplishment. To come on this forum and downplay what they have achieved is not doing the wrestling community any favors.

Lee Girard
Re: 5a break down [Re: ReDPloyd] #202903 03/08/12 08:52 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Quote:
This is what we have to work with. When a wrestler qualifies for State, regardless of their record, regardless of their High School classification, regardless of whatever else, then they should be proud of their accomplishment. To come on this forum and downplay what they have achieved is not doing the wrestling community any favors.
Quote:

I been on forums in other states, and lived IN & OH and know people in the community. They would be just offended as you are if somebody tried to suggest to increase the number of classes and affect generate more state qualifiers, state placers and state champions. They would say you are watering down are sport, decreasing the competition level and downplaying the achievements that are kids have acquired. I thinks its ironic that their reaction is similar. Instead of getting offended, maybe we should have an open mind and have a peaceful debate about the pros and cons of each situation.

I'm not criticizing any kids achievement has done in the past, but we should try to open our minds to new ideas that may or may not improve wrestling in Kansas. I think we get stuck doing the same thing we've always done and think thats the best way.

I'd like to see you're 5 best reason why the class system that exists currently is so good or fair.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: 5a break down [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #202908 03/08/12 09:22 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
1. It may not be good or fair, but that is not for me to decide.
2. It might be good and fair, but that is not for me to determine.
3. The current system with the classifications that are in place requires that four wrestlers out of each Regional qualifies for State, regardless of their record or their classification.
4. Wrestling is a great sport, the most demanding sport in my opinion, and I would like to see more wrestlers participate.
5. Watered down? Do you really understand the grind that these young adults go through? I really don't care what people say, the wrestlers that make it to State should be appreciated, not because they are the best, because they have worked hard and stuck it out in the most demanding sport that they can compete in while in High School.

Lee Girard
Re: 5a break down [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #202927 03/09/12 01:02 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Let me be the first to say that I don't care what Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, or any other state would say about the way we do things here. Oklahoma has five classes, and nobody would say a word about that. Missouri has four and nobody is on here having an identity crisis about that. If you all like those Big 10 states so much then go there and put your kids in one of their programs and have a ball. We do what we do. Get used to it.

Bout time people got over the huge inferiority complex they have here. If Ohio was so darn good then why are you here????

Last edited by Westfahl; 03/09/12 01:08 AM.
Re: 5a break down [Re: Westfahl] #202928 03/09/12 01:04 AM
WillyM Offline
BUMP!!! Have seen the big boys use that expression.

I think that means I agree, WELL SAID, Right On, Hell Yes------

Bill Mason

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/09/12 01:05 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: 5a break down [Re: WillyM] #202929 03/09/12 01:08 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
hahahaha, Bill you know a guy that coached in Caney ain't gonna let that go haha.

Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202939 03/09/12 01:53 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
Lucas hates Ark City, end of story. He does not care about the sport of wrestling in Kansas. He volunteers NO time, he donates NO resources, you will never change his mind. Lucas only cares about Lucas' beef with Beeson. This is all an elaborate ploy to get back at Chad. He still hasn't taken down his weak class 5a football patch. he still won't admit that others have offered better solutions, for a more equal state series. he simply wants to get under Beesons skin.

Originally Posted By: ]Lucas Baker
Ark city is the best thing that couild ever happan to 5a i think they won it like 14 years in a row. I think that if you take those 14 years and put them down into 4a i bet they would not have won but half of those titles.

I don't think he hates Ark City as much as he would like for us to think. Dug this old post up, it almost looks like he has a fondness for The Purple and The Gold!!! grin I'm starting to think that it MIGHT just be me that he doesn't like. cry

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 5a break down [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #202959 03/09/12 02:56 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: fan of the sport
Instead of getting offended, maybe we should have an open mind and have a peaceful debate about the pros and cons of each situation.

i really don't think the topic is offensive. the delivery is. i sent you a PM on this. read other posts on the same topic. Contrarian has posted on this subject, Cokeley has posted on this subject, their delivery was mature, well written, and fair. this topic attacks one class, and 45 young men who have busted their a$$ all year long.

I'm not criticizing any kids achievement has done in the past, but we should try to open our minds to new ideas that may or may not improve wrestling in Kansas. I think we get stuck doing the same thing we've always done and think thats the best way.

I'd like to see you're 5 best reason why the class system that exists currently is so good or fair.

1- equality- the system is designed to give kids the opportunity- no matter what their school size
2- quantity- the more STUDENTS who are involved in positive extra ciricular activities
3- parity- combining 5a and 6a into 1 super class would flip the coin on the weak class argument- wouldn't solve anything
4- excitement- you admitted that your football team qualified for the state playoffs with a 2-7 record. how was the atmosphere during those district games?
5- opportunity- to combine classes would take away an opportunity for some athletes, cutting classifications because some records at the state tournament is like cutting gym class, art class, and auto class because no one every graduated, then opened an auto mechanics shop, art studio, or fitness gym?????

i would be all for changing it up, if you can keep those 5 things in mind

notice it didn't include fair, nothing in life is fair- no solution will make everyone happy! someone is going to feel it's unfair.

give me your top 5 reasons that less classes make, better athletes. keep in mind that texas football has 5 classes plus 8 man and 6 man. you can't argue texas football. the eastern states have greater population, smaller distances, and more exposure to college wrestling.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202960 03/09/12 02:57 AM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
[quote]Maybe you're right, start with ripping those district champ patches off the letter jackets. make a statement start small, move your way up the chain. i mean if you walk into the KSHSAA meeting complaining about weak classes with your 2-7 patch on, you've lost all credibility.

Headup,

I graduated 24 years ago, so I didn't get the patch. I think its kind of novel with a 2-7 record, and I would feel funny wearing one even if I was on the team. But KS football has a huge issue with with regional disparity. But thats an issue for another site.
So I don'tunderstand how I lose credibility, because my Alma Mater got an extremely favorable draw in a football regional.

Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202962 03/09/12 03:03 AM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Headup,

You have some good points. And I agree one class shouldn't be singled out. Lucas is getting carried away with his attack on 5A as many a year its been the strongest class and Ark City is probably the most successful team in KS history. I'll give you the 5 reasons tomorrow, as time is running out tonight.

Re: 5a break down [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #202964 03/09/12 03:07 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
[quote]Maybe you're right, start with ripping those district champ patches off the letter jackets. make a statement start small, move your way up the chain. i mean if you walk into the KSHSAA meeting complaining about weak classes with your 2-7 patch on, you've lost all credibility.

Headup,

I graduated 24 years ago, so I didn't get the patch. I think its kind of novel with a 2-7 record, and I would feel funny wearing one even if I was on the team. But KS football has a huge issue with with regional disparity. But thats an issue for another site.
So I don'tunderstand how I lose credibility, because my Alma Mater got an extremely favorable draw in a football regional.

the point i'm making here is that all sports have disparity at times. look at the NFL over the past few years, the team that "squeaked" into the playoffs have done pretty good. so records, don't mean so much. I was on a state championship team that lost 2 of our first 3 games. both to missouri schools, we rolled everyone is KS, so sometimes a team, a kid, gets in that doesn't look so good on paper, then the switch hits, and they are in the dance.

you may not feel you would lose credibilty because you weren't on the team, but why not go back to that school and denounce their accomplishments, your credibilty and reputation will suffer.

every sport has an underdog story, if we simply take away that opportunity, we will not be growing or improving anything.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202967 03/09/12 03:32 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
i will say this. records dont really mean anything. but not having to win a match to get to state shows there is a problem with the system not the kids but the system. thats all i will ever complain about on this topic.

Scott Bockover
Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202978 03/09/12 05:14 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
I LIVE IN TEXAS, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO now? WHEN I WAS GOING TO SCHOOL IN CONCORDIA, I WENT IN AND "VOLUNTEERED" MY TIME WITH THE HEAVY WEIGHTS, I HAVE WORKED OUT WITH SILVER LAKE KIDS I HAVE WORKED OUT WITH A BONER SPRINGS KID NOW AT LCCC. When I was working in Oklahoma I worked out with the heavy weights there as well. I helped Tonginoxie run there kids tourny a year ago, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ME, PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME AND WHAT I DONT DO.
Lucas hates Ark City, end of story. He does not care about the sport of wrestling in Kansas. He volunteers NO time, he donates NO resources, you will never change his mind. Lucas only cares about Lucas' beef with Beeson. This is all an elaborate ploy to get back at Chad. He still hasn't taken down his weak class 5a football patch. he still won't admit that others have offered better solutions, for a more equal state series. he simply wants to get under Beesons skin.

Re: 5a break down [Re: ReDPloyd] #202979 03/09/12 05:20 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
SO YOU THINK IT IS OK THAT 13 WRESTLERS IN 5A MADE IT WITHOUT HAVING TO WIN A MATCH? WHILE A HANDFUL OF KIDS IN 4A HAD TO WIN 4 MATCHES AND WRESTLE 5! WHY DO WE HOLD THE 5A KIDS HAND AND BABY THEM THROUGH TO STATE? Would you be proud if you went 0-2 at regionals and made it thru to state?
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
Lucas,

Re: 5a break down [Re: ReDPloyd] #202982 03/09/12 05:33 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
REGUARDING #5 PLEASE TELL THAT TO THE 379 KIDS IN 4A THAT WENT HOME AND DID NOT GET TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STATE TOURNY BECAUSE WE HAVE DIFFERENT CRITERIA FOR 5A SCHOOLS. EVERY DAMN KID IN THE STATE FIGHTS IT OUT ALL YEAR AND GOES THROUGH THE GRIND. LETS BE FAIR TO ALL NOT JUST THE BIG SCHOOLS! TOP 20% SHOULD WRESTLE AT STATE. OR MAYBE SINCE YOU DONT WANT TO CHANGE WE SHOULD QUALIFY 8 MEN IN 4A REGIONALS, SO AT STATE WE COULD HAVE 32 MAN BRACKETS AT 60% OF THE KIDS IN 4A CAN PARTICIPATE. PRETTY STUPID RIGHT?
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
1. It may not be good or fair, but that is not for me to decide.
2. It might be good and fair, but that is not for me to determine.
3. The current system with the classifications that are in place requires that four wrestlers out of each Regional qualifies for State, regardless of their record or their classification.
4. Wrestling is a great sport, the most demanding sport in my opinion, and I would like to see more wrestlers participate.
5. Watered down? Do you really understand the grind that these young adults go through? I really don't care what people say, the wrestlers that make it to State should be appreciated, not because they are the best, because they have worked hard and stuck it out in the most demanding sport that they can compete in while in High School.

Re: 5a break down [Re: Lucas Baker] #202983 03/09/12 05:37 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: 5a break down [Re: Westfahl] #202986 03/09/12 05:43 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
OKLAHOMA HAS 8 MAN STATE BRACKET. http://www.ossaa.com/Sports/Wrestling.aspx

MISSOURI ALSO HAS 16 MAN REGIONALS FOR ALL 4 CLASSES. MISSOURI ONLY TAKES THE TOP 20% LIKE WE DO IN 4A
Originally Posted By: Westfahl
Let me be the first to say that I don't care what Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, or any other state would say about the way we do things here. Oklahoma has five classes, and nobody would say a word about that. Missouri has four and nobody is on here having an identity crisis about that. If you all like those Big 10 states so much then go there and put your kids in one of their programs and have a ball. We do what we do. Get used to it.

Bout time people got over the huge inferiority complex they have here. If Ohio was so darn good then why are you here????

Re: 5a break down [Re: Beeson] #202988 03/09/12 05:47 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
I DO NOT HATE ARK CITY JUST CHAD BEESON I MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE A FONDNESS FOR ANY TEAM THAT WINS STATE 27 TIMES BEATING OVER HALF OF THE WRESTLERS IN THE FIELD AT STATE. ITS JUST NOT THE SAME TO MANY EASY MATCHES TO WIN AND RACK UP POINTS.
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Originally Posted By: ]Lucas Baker
Ark city is the best thing that couild ever happan to 5a i think they won it like 14 years in a row. I think that if you take those 14 years and put them down into 4a i bet they would not have won but half of those titles.

I don't think he hates Ark City as much as he would like for us to think. Dug this old post up, it almost looks like he has a fondness for The Purple and The Gold!!! grin I'm starting to think that it MIGHT just be me that he doesn't like. cry

Re: 5a break down [Re: HEADUP] #202989 03/09/12 05:55 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
1 NO ITS NOT AT ALL!
2 WHAT? TWICE AS MANY WRESTLERS IN 4A
3AND 4 IM PRETTY SURE IT WOULD BE MORE EXCITING IF THE TRULY BEST WRESTLERS IN 5A WERE IN A 8 MAN BRACKET. TAKING 20% OF THE FIELD IE TWO REGIONALS.
5-TAKING AWAY OPPORTUNITY? YOU MEAN LIKE THE 379 WRESTLERS IN 4A THAT DO NOT GET TO COMPETE?
Instead of getting offended, maybe we should have an open mind and have a peaceful debate about the pros and cons of each situation.

i really don't think the topic is offensive. the delivery is. i sent you a PM on this. read other posts on the same topic. Contrarian has posted on this subject, Cokeley has posted on this subject, their delivery was mature, well written, and fair. this topic attacks one class, and 45 young men who have busted their a$$ all year long.

1- equality- the system is designed to give kids the opportunity- no matter what their school size
2- quantity- the more STUDENTS who are involved in positive extra ciricular activities
3- parity- combining 5a and 6a into 1 super class would flip the coin on the weak class argument- wouldn't solve anything
4- excitement- you admitted that your football team qualified for the state playoffs with a 2-7 record. how was the atmosphere during those district games?
5- opportunity- to combine classes would take away an opportunity for some athletes, cutting classifications because some records at the state tournament is like cutting gym class, art class, and auto class because no one every graduated, then opened an auto mechanics shop, art studio, or fitness gym?????

i would be all for changing it up, if you can keep those 5 things in mind

notice it didn't include fair, nothing in life is fair- no solution will make everyone happy! someone is going to feel it's unfair.

give me your top 5 reasons that less classes make, better athletes. keep in mind that texas football has 5 classes plus 8 man and 6 man. you can't argue texas football. the eastern states have greater population, smaller distances, and more exposure to college wrestling.

Re: 5a break down [Re: bockman] #202990 03/09/12 06:02 AM
Lucas Baker Offline OP
OP Offline
THANK YOU SCOTT IT HAPPENED 13 TIMES THIS YEAR AND EVEN MORE LAST YEAR. THE BEST WAY TO FIX IT WOULD BE TO HAVE TWO 16 TEAM REGIONALS AND AN 8 MAN STATE BRACKET. SINCE THEY GET ALL PISSY ABOUT COMBINING 5A AND 6A SO THEY WOULD HAVE 60+ SCHOOLS LIKE 3 AND 4 A
Originally Posted By: bockman
i will say this. records dont really mean anything. but not having to win a match to get to state shows there is a problem with the system not the kids but the system. thats all i will ever complain about on this topic.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 128 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)