Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info #207838 08/16/12 04:35 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Dear Parents, Coaches & Wrestlers,

The Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team is now accepting applications for both the 2013 and 2014 summer teams. Interested wrestlers must be enrolled in the 6th-9th grades during the year prior to them being a part of the team and must have at least a 2.5 G.P.A. Non Ohio wrestlers may apply and wrestlers from 20 states have participated, (and nearly 600 wrestlers), since the team began in 1983.
This past summer marked the team’s 30th anniversary and wrestlers from 8 states participated. The team finished 16-0 in dual meets, while wrestling matches in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California.
Besides the wrestling, the team also experienced a great number of fun things along the way, including: Alpine Slide, Blue Man Group, Kayaking at Lake Tahoe, Yellowstone National Park, Santa Monica Beach, Colorado Rockies game, practicing at the Olympic Training Center, Oldies Show, seeing the Broadway shows “Wicked” and “Hairspray,” Cirque du Soliel, Hollywood, attending a taping of “Austin & Ally,” Disneyland, Rose Bowl, hiking up Rendezvous Mountain, meeting NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry and 5X Olympic Gold Medalist Eric Heiden and much more
If you are interested in applying for either the 2013, or 2014 team, please contyact me and I will e-mail you an application.. If you have any questions, please feel free ask, or contact any of the parents from this past year’s team (names and e-mails can be provided upon request).

Bart Freidenberg
bdbop@aol.com
614-833-5885

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quotes from 2012 Team Members:

“This trip was a really good and fun learning experience for me. It definitely improved my wrestling. It helped me learn how to manage my money. It also helped me learn how to be independent and be able to make decisions on my own. This trip also teaches you how to make new friends. The trip improved my conditioning a lot too. This trip taught me a lot.
Also, there is a lot of fun things that you do on this trip. You go to at least 10 amazing places that most people won’t ever be able to see in a lifetime. You will end up being really close to your teammates that you’ll do lots of fun things with them. The most fun thing that I think we did was go to Disneyland. There is going to be lots of fun things that you’ll do.
Right now, you might think that you’ll really miss your family. But, really you do so many fun things that you don’t miss them that much. Raising money is a little tough, but I went to sponsors for money, sold raffle tickets and bracelets. It is best to start out early. Also, the coaches are really nice and your teammates become your brothers. I really think you should do this trip because I had a really fun time.”
Dylan D’Emilio, age 12, Curtice, OH (2012 OAC State Champion)

“This trip meant the world to me. When I got the letter in the mail that said I was accepted on this trip, I was ecstatic. This trip was truly a life changing experience. This trip opened my eyes and really made me appreciate my parents a lot more than I already do. How much money they spend on me is ridiculous. I had no idea how much a burger and some fries cost at a fast food restaurant.
I can’t even begin to explain how much this trip change my life. It really hit me when we were literally above the clouds at Rendezvous Mountain. That’s when I said “I will never do anything like this ever again in my life.” This trip was the most fun/challenging thing of my life. There was not one boring part of this trip.
If I could do this trip again, there would be no hesitation. You make so many new friends on this trip and the fun part about it is that we all have different stories, different backgrounds that you learn about 26 different people and it’s an amazing experience. As soon as you get on that plane, you are bonding and making new friends.
I will never forget landing in Denver and literally out the airport windows, at the airport, you could see mountains and I’ve never seen mountains before and it was an awesome feeling. You go from seeing cornfields all day to all of a sudden these gigantic mountains. It’s just an amazing trip. It’s truly life changing.
Michael May, age 15, Eaton, OH (2011 OAC State Champion & 6th at OHSAA States in 2012)

The Trip of a Lifetime
“How would you feel being away from home for 44 days with no help from any adults? At first, it sounds scary and crazy. However, after touring the Western United States for 44 days with the Ohio All-Star Team, I realize that it is not crazy at all. It is an experience of a lifetime that I will never forget. When I arrived at camp, I was pretty nervous about this trip. I didn’t know anybody on the team and I didn’t know if I was going to be successful on the wrestling mat. Now that the trip is over, I can say I made 26 new friends, got a lot better at wrestling and learned life lessons I will never forget.
When you spend 44 days with 26 other people, you almost have to make friends. After spending so much time with the same people, we all became not only friends, but a family. With our new friends, we got to experience things I never thought I would do. I never thought I would visit Lake Tahoe, but it was the most beautiful water I have ever swam in. White water rafting sounded scary at first, but it was one of the most fun things I have ever done. The hike up Rendezvous Mountain was tiring, but the view above the clouds was amazing. When I was above the clouds it really hit me that I was experiencing things I would never forget. I cherished this moment, even though it felt like my legs were going to collapse.
Along with the unforgettable sightseeing, I became a way better wrestler. If I was home, I wouldn’t be wrestling nearly as much. Also, I wouldn’t of had as good of workout partners back home. On the tip, you are wrestling with some of the best wrestlers on the East Coast. You are also with top notch coaches. With great wrestlers and coaches, you are almost guaranteed to become a better wrestler.
Making friends and becoming a better wrestler was great, but the most important part of the trip was the life lessons we learned. I learned how to manage money, do laundry and how to rely on myself instead of my parents. I would never have learned these lessons at such a young age if I wasn’t on this trip. I want to thank the coaches for teaching me these lessons, because I wouldn’t be as responsible if they weren’t guiding us along the way. This trip was definitely inexperience of a lifetime. I will never forget the friends I made, the places I went and the life lessons I learned.”
Garrett O’Shea, age 15, Butler, NJ (2012 NJ Kids State Runner-Up)

“I enjoyed the trip and it has taught me many things about life and responsibility.” - Isaiah Bailey (RI)

“I thought the trip would really help prepare me for my freshman year. It was fun and a great experience. I will always remember the Ohio All-Star Team of 2012.” - Shae Bloom, age 14, 2011 PJW State Champion (PA)

“This trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The trip helped me not only in the life part of it, but wrestling, as I learned a lot of new technique.” Mason Brainard (OH)

“The trip was an amazing experience. We saw so much stuff.” George Coleman (NJ)

“I learned how to spend my money wisely, how to do laundry and how to be responsible for my own actions.” Dylan DiSano (RI)

“The friends I made, people I met along the way, wrestling moves I learned and memories I made are priceless.” Brendan Howard (PA)

“What I liked about the trip is that you get to meet so many people and make new friends.” Jaret Lester (OH)

“The trip was great. I wish I could do it again.” Tyler McCafferty (OH)

“The trip was pure amazing. Meeting 26 new teammates, who are now super close friends to me, was crazy cool. The trip also taught me how to grow up.” Brakan Mead (OH)

“This trip meant to me becoming more responsible. There was also a lot more wrestling than I thought there would be. Overall, I liked the trip and made a lot of new friends.” Austin O’Connor, age 14, 2X Ohio TofC Champion & 2X Trinity Award Winner (IL)

“The trip was awesome - I wish I could do it again. The trip has changed my life in many ways, like wrestling, attitude and this trip made more more polite. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity.” Ronnie Pietro (OH)

“The experience was spectacular!” Cal Reichart (PA)

“The trip was an awesome experience for me. I have learned so much in just a short period of time. I learned how to do laundry, new wrestling moves, how to work together as a team and also learned more responsibility. One thing that I love is that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will remember this my whole life.” Kaleb Romero (OH), 6X OAC State Champion and 4X Ohio TofC Champion.

“I really improved as a wrestler. It was really cool being able to practice with and compete against some of the best kids in the nation. Being selected to the team was a big honor for me. I really felt like I represented my school and hometown and was proud of that. The trip helped me in a lot of ways - from laundry to maturity.” Matt Steer (OH)

“The trip made a big impact on my wrestling career. It made me a better leader, wrestler and all around better person.” Dylan Taylor, age 15, WV State Runner Up as a Freshman (WV)

“I think this trip helped me to become a better wrestler. I was practicing with the best kids and learning from the best coaches. Overall, this trip made me a better wrestler and person. It is an experience that I will never forget.” Brad Trescott (OH)

“What I liked best about this trip was meeting new long distance friends that I will see around at various events.” Jacoby Ward (OH)

Thoughts from Parents

“We are counting our blessings that Cal had the opportunity to travel with the team. While I feel there were many benefits of the trip, I'll limit my comments to those that stand out to me. Not only did Cal experience parts of the country he may not visit otherwise, he also learned the value of a dollar, both with fundraising and with being responsible with money on the trip. In addition, I am impressed that he seems to have matured when speaking to adults. Recently an elderly couple he met noticed his shirt and asked him, "What is the Ohio All Star Wrestling team?" He answered them with a maturity I hadn't seen from him before, speaking clearly, looking at both of them, and answering in detail, emphasizing only the team's achievements. His father and I are impressed with the organization of the trip which combines wrestling with an abundance of adventure!”
Mary Reichart (son Cal, age 14, 2011 PA SJW State Runner Up)) Momary98@yahoo.com

“The trip was a tremendous experience for my son and our family. Through Facebook, text messages, and phone calls, my wife and I felt like we were experiencing the trip with our son. He saw and did more on the trip than most have experienced in a lifetime. Through the trip, I believe has built a lifetime of friendships, developed life skills, improved his wrestling, and improved on the mental aspects of wrestling. The boys are already plotting to get together at national wrestling tournaments. It’s a trip he will always remember and cherish.”
Dom D’Emilio (son Dylan, age 12, 2012 OAC State Champ) dom.demilio@genoawrestling.com

“We just wanted to say : Thank you in the biggest way possible, for letting George have the most wonderful experience this summer! Not only was the trip a dream, but the wrestling friends he made with everyone was amazing! He wasn't in the hotel fast enough from the plane, testing everyone to say how he enjoyed things and missed them already! He has been in contact with the coaches and is planning on a trip to the Super 32 hoping everyone else comes!
He hasn't stopped with telling us all, about the wonderful time he had. He wants to do this again next year! It had to be amazing if that's what he wants! Maybe we can come out next time! You did a wonderful job with planning and taking care of everything! That right there, is a job! But most of all a JOB WELL DONE!!!! Words just cant express how we feel! I could go on and on, Thanks from the bottom of our hearts!”
George & Marsha Coleman (son George, age 12, NJ Kids State Placer) reebtraf@comcast.net

“We highly recommend this trip. It was extremely well organized. The boys had excellent coaching and mentoring. The friendships made, the sights seen, the opportunity for growth both as a wrestler and as a young man, the life lessons that were learned; it was a once in a lifetime experience!”
Bob & Mindy Steer (son Matthew, age 14, 2012 Ohio TofC Runner Up) mindysteer@gmail.com

"An exceptional journey and growth experience for young men. Every young wrestler should get to experience this.” Jason Prunest (son Hayden, age 13) - jason.prunest@yahoo.com

Listed below are links to three daily videos from this past year’s team.

Yellowstone Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQ9DcT5omg&feature=em-share_video_user

Lake Tahoe video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEkl-TJqdg&feature=em-share_video_user

Disneyland video (part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OleBBKXIsxU&feature=em-share_video_user

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #207978 08/26/12 01:50 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I have received several questions about the Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team, so I thought I would answer them below.

1. Q: Why is it called the Ohio All-Star Team if you allow non Ohio wrestlers to be a part of it?
A: Initially, when the team was formed back in 1983, it was limited to just Ohio wrestlers. However, we found that we had made friends with a number of non Ohio wrestlers that wanted to be a part of the team. So, in 1985, we accepted our first non Ohioans to the team. Since that time, word of the team has spread and the interest from non Ohio wrestlers has been very strong. While there are other teams that may travel, I can assure you that the Ohio All-Stars are the most unique traveling youth wrestling team out there.

2. Q: What are the chances a non Ohio wrestler is selected to the team?
A: While Ohio wrestlers do receive some priority in the selection process, generally about half the team will be made up of non Ohio wrestlers.

3. Q: Other than Ohio, what states have been represented by the team in the past?
A: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming have all been represented in the past. Of these states, Pennsylvania has had the most wrestlers selected, with close to 50.

4. Q: Who are some of the teams top past alumni?
A: Since 1983, we have had more than 600 youth wrestlers represent the team. Overall, they have won 7 NCAA titles, approximately 200 State High School Titles and n 30 USA Junior National Cadet & Junior Freestyle and Greco titles. They have included: Alan Fried (OH) NCAA Champion, 2X Runner Up and 4X USA Junior FS Champion; Rex Holman (OH) NCAA Champion; Sheldon Thomas (DE) NCAA Champion; Ryan Bertin (OH) 2X NCAA Champion; Corey Kline (OH) NCAA Division III Champ; Kenny Anderson (MA) 2012 NCAA Division III Champ.

State champs/national place winners have included: Nathan Galloway (PA) 3X State Champ; Willie Wineberg (OH) 4 X State Champ; Drew Pariano (OH) 3X State Champ and current Head Coach at Northwestern; Scott Hinkel (OH) Current Head Coach at Purdue; Hudson Taylor (NJ) 3X NCAA Placer; Scott Giffin (NJ); Josh Weitzel (PA); Pat Lynch (NJ); Tony Trujillo (CA) 2X State Champ; Ryan Needle (NY) 3X State Champ; Trevor Chinn (NY), Trevor Dearden (NH), Mike Rowe (MD) 4X State Champ; John McGhee (OH) 4 X State Champ; Eddie Jayne (OH) 3X State Champ; Mark Jayne (OH) 3X State Champ; Joey Ward (OH) 2X State Champ; Bobby Ingram (VA) 3X State Champ; Connor McDonald (DE) 3X State Champ; Jason Taylor (WV) 3X State Champ; Shawn Contos (OH) current Asst.Coach at Penn State; Jack Clark (NJ) National Prep Champ; TJ Miller (NJ); Brandon Thompson (OH); Cam Tessari (OH) 4X State Champ; Kevin Hardy (OH) 3X State Champ and 2012 NAIA National Champion; and many more.

5. Q: Who were some of the top wrestlers on this past year’s team?
A: Kaleb Romero (OH) 6X OAC State Champ, 4X Ohio TofC Champ; Austin O’Connor (IL) 2X Ohio TofC Champ, 2X Trinity Award Winner, 4X IKWF State Champ; Shae Bloom (PA) 2011 PJW Champion; Dylan D’Emilio (OH) 2012 OAC State Champ; Michael May (OH) placed 6th at OHSAA States as Freshman; Dylan Taylor (WV) State Runner Up as Freshman; Garrett O’Shea (NJ) Kids State Runner Up; Matthew Steer (OH) TofC Runner Up; Cal Reichart, Nate Newberry and Owen Wherley (PA) 2011 PJW State Runner Ups.

6. Q: Where will the team travel to in 2013?
A: While we are still working on the final itinerary, initial plans include a return visit to the Seattle/Vancouver (Canada) region, as part of the tour. Other planned stops include: Denver/Colorado Springs, Salt lake City, Jackson (WY), Reno, Sacramento, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

7. Q: How much wrestling will my son actually receive on the trip?
A: I can assure you that your son will receive a good deal of mat time, as part of the Ohio All-Stars. For starters, the team has a one week training camp, prior to their departure. On the tour, the team is on the mat an average of at least 5X per week. Other days, the team may be hiking a mountain, white water rafting, etc... This past summer, wrestlers averaged about 16 dual matches. A strong benefit of the tour is the practice time and we had 17 practices on tour this past summer. Coaches and wrestlers, that have gone in the past, have indicated that there was a lot more wrestling on the trip than they had thought there would be and that there was a good balance between the wrestling and the other activities.

8. Q: Other than the wrestling, what else will my son do if selected?
A: I can assure you that each day is filled with things to do. Based on the above itinerary, I would say the following would be part of the itinerary: Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Mount Rainier, tubing, Lake Tahoe, Blue Man Group, Disneyland, Hollywood, TV Taping, Pacific Ocean, Yellowstone National Park, white water rafting, Pikes Peak, Olympic Training Center, USAF Academy, Mormon Temple, Improv Show, Oldies Show, water parks, alpine slide, Grosse Mountain, Rendezvous Mountain, Snow King, Magic Show and much more.

We also have guest speakers for our team along the way. This past year we had 1970 AAU Mr. World Curt Haywood; NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry; 5X Olympic Gold Medalist Eric Heiden; Former Child Actors Steve Mond (Diff’rent Strokes) and Scott Curtis (Cameron’s Closet) and Current Child Actor Zachary Gordon (Diary of a Wimpy Kid). Past speakers have included: Former President Ronald Reagan, Joseph Barbera & William Hanna (Hanna Barbera Cartoon fame), UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden, Olympic Gold Medal Gymnast Peter Vidmar, 2X Heisman Trophy Winner Archie Griffin, NFL Hall of Famer Raymond Berry, Olympic Wrestling Champion Rulon Gardner and many more. Incidentally, Joseph Barbera so enjoyed meeting our team (he met with us 5 times), that he helped design our team mascot.

9. Q: The cost of $4500 seems rather high?
A: My best response here is that I am more than willing to provide you with names/contact info for parents who have gone in the past and let you ask them if they felt the tour was worth the money raised. However, if you compare the trip to the J. Robinson intensive camp, I think you will begin to see that the $4500 is not so much. The J. Robinson camp is $2600+ for a 28 day camp, as compared to $4500 for a 44 day tour+1 week camp. In addition, OASWT members receive approximately $650 worth of team equipment and another $650 in sightseeing. Add to this exchange gifts, airfare, hotel lodging, rental vehicles and meal money.

10. Q: What all will my son learn as part of the team?
A: Obviously your son will learn a lot of new wrestling technique, but he will learn a LOT more as a member of the team. He will learn how to get along better with others, how to talk to adults (who come up to ask them about the team), how to do laundry, how to manage their money and how to make decisions on their own. They will also become “brothers” to the other kids on their team and have lifelong friendships and memories. Past team members describe the trip as a “Once in a lifetime experience that they will never forget.”

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #207979 08/26/12 02:23 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #208114 09/08/12 10:32 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Dear Parents & Wrestlers,

A few of you have contacted me and left messages as to whether you could e-mail your completed application/photos back - or whether they had to sent by mail.

You are more than welcome to e-mail them back to: bdbop@aol.com

Also, due to some national events held (which many of our alumni, and most likely several applicants, will be attending), the initial team meeting will most likely be moved to the weekend of Nov. 10-11. While it is not imperative that all selected wrestlers attend this meeting, it is a good opportunity to meet the other wrestlers selected and to also hear more about the opportunity that awaits. We will also go into more depth in terms of fundraising.

Bart Freidenberg
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team

Note: Our goal this year is to name at least one wrestler, from a state that we have not yet had represented, but have had represented at the TofC, to our 2013 roster. This means, our goal is to have at least one wrestler from either Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee or Wisconsin selected.

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #208208 09/14/12 03:19 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
For the person that called and forgot to leave a number for me to return the call:

No, kids do not have to maintain a certain weight class during the tour. We submit a roster, to the other teams, with the ages, weights and accomplishments of our team members. Once our camp is completed, we send them an updated list of weights, so that they can best match up against us. Seldom, if ever, are there actual weigh ins on the trip and then, if there are, it is just to best match up the kids. The only time a wrestler would have to make a certain weight class, is if we end up entering into a tournament and then it is up to each wrestler which weight class they wish to enter (and yes, we could have more than one wrestler in that particular class).

Also, we are a 501(c)3 team, through the AAU (this is done for the purposes of insurance for the trip and for the team camp). However, wrestlers on the team will carry both AAU & USA Wrestling Cards, as the teams we compete against might be either one.

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #208316 09/24/12 04:20 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
A reminder that the deadline for submitting applications for the 2013 team is October 17. We are looking to select 18 of the top 6th-9th graders, from Ohio and surrounding states, with an estimated summer weight of 65-145 pounds. Trip dates will be mid June thru early August.

If you have any questions, or need an application, please contact Bart at bdbop@aol.com or 614-507-1653.

QUOTES FROM FORMER OHIO ALL-STAR COACHES, PARENTS & WRESTLERS:

Doug Blubaugh, 1960 Olympic Gold Medalist, 1997-2000 Team Coach

" I think this trip is one of the greatest learning situations that a kid could ever go through, not only towards his wrestling, but everything else, because it's more than just a wrestling trip. It's an education.
"If I was a young man, I think it would be one of the greatest things that could happen to me. I know it costs money, but it's one of those things that you get more out of than you would ever be able to pay back. It's one of the greatest things that I've seen for a kid to be able to do. I wish I could go on the entire trip myself."

Tony DiGiovanni, Head Coach at Solon High School, 1998 & 1999 Team Coach and Father of Vinny (1998 Team Member and 2002 Ohio State Champion)

"I got to see first hand the development of the team members, as well as my son, not only in their wrestling ability, but in their character, discipline and attitudes. It was a trip that demanded and rewarded excellence. In my opinion, this trip will be looked back upon, by those participants, as a life changing experience.
"As a father, I clearly saw my son grow into a young man who began to see wrestling, competition and hard work as an intrical part of developing friendships, commitment and maturity, which he has carried with him since that time.
"I'm pleased to say that at virtually every tournament I attend, alumni from that, or other Ohio All-Star Teams that I have worked with, come up to me to laugh, as we share great memories from past tours.
"The greatest show of support I can give is that all of the young men that I have encouraged to apply, and that have been accepted, come home with these eight words "It was the best summer of my life."

Jack Galloway, 3X Team Coach & Father of Nathan (2X Team Member and 3X PA State Champ)

"Start to finish, the Ohio All-Star Wrestling camp and trip will be one of the greatest experiences your wrestler will have. Camp is one of the toughest in the USA and the trip is fabulous."

Nathan Galloway, 3X PA State Champion and 2X Ohio All-Star Team Member (1996, 1997)

"Being on the team means getting to see things some people will never see. So, I think it's pretty special and makes me very proud. When I was selected, I didn't really know what was happening. Now I realize this is a pretty big accomplishment.
"The trip, in a whole, was a great time. It taught me to be responsible, well behaved and also improved my wrestling ability. Being on the team is a privilege, knowing that you're representing your team, your hometown and your family. The main thing that it means to me is making my family and friends proud."

Duane Palmer, Father of Lance (4X Ohio State Champion and NCAA Runner Up)

"I get people all the time that tell me that they're not going to send their son on this trip because it's too cultural. I tried to think, if I was a kid would I have wanted to do something like this? Not only did it help Lance grow up as a person, it helped his wrestling skills tremendously. It broadened his horizons by learning freestyle. Before the trip, he knew nothing about freestyle and a year later he not only won the state freestyle tournament, but the USA triple crown.
"In addition, he loved every minute of the trip. He really enjoyed the traveling and meeting all the people. It's a lot of money to raise, but if I had the money he'd be going again, because I see what the trip did for him."

Lance Palmer, 4x Ohio State Champion and NCAA Runner Up & 1999 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"I had a great time on the trip. We traveled for six weeks to places I've never been before. I learned to get along with everyone. I learned to be responsible and smart with money. If someone asked me how the trip was, I would say it was a great experience.
"I'm glad I went on the trip because the kids were cool and we went undefeated. I wish I could come on the trip again. I would want to go again because I had the best time."

Ryan Bertin, 2X NCAA Champion & 1994 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"To start off, I'd like to say that the trip meant a lot to me. I learned a lot of things, not only wrestling wise, but socially wise. When I first heard I was selected, I was very excited, but the waiting got boring. Once the trip started, I had fun and still am.
"I learned new moves and how to perfect and work hard on them. I also learned to work hard for my goals and dreams and someday I will be bound for a state title! It really felt good to represent my state, city, club and family. It also felt good to have people congratulate me.
"Finally, being a part of the Ohio All-Star Wrestling team was a sense of accomplishment and goal setting. I know that one day my hard work will pay off."

Willie Wineberg, 4X Ohio State Champion and 1989 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"The trip was the most fun thing I have ever done. It was awesome, since it was my first time out west, and the team made it even more fun. Everything we did was great, (except laps - but I don't think they're supposed to be). I learned so much, like being polite, (which is a new concept to me!), and being a good team player.
"Coach taught me a lot of good wrestling and I picked up some from the other guys on the team. Biggest thing I learned is how to do laundry, (yeah, my mom will like that). The money was tough to raise, but every cent and time is worth the trip. Because on the trip the guys really mature. I know I have."

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #208437 09/29/12 05:37 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Note: We have already received interest from a couple of folks from Kansas, including one application so far.

I thought I would comment on two additional concerns I have heard from some folks: the length and cost of the trip

LENGTH

Back in 1983, the trip was only three weeks in length, and cost close to $2000. Over the years, it eventually expanded to the current six weeks (it was actually seven weeks in 2007, our 25th year, as we added a week in Hawaii). Keep in mind that these kids generally do not know each other before they meet up at the training camp, just prior to the start of the tour and it generally takes a couple of weeks before they really started to get to know everyone on the team. We have found that this generally occurs about three weeks into the trip and is when the team starts to behave more like a family, than just a team. This is also really when they start to learn a lot of life lessons, such as budgeting their money, being able to get along with each other and the art of compromise and toleration.

While kids always enjoyed returning home to see their families, there was no difference between them being on the road three or six weeks. In fact, most all said they thought the six weeks were perfect. I can tell you that their being away is much harder on the parents, than on the wrestlers themselves, as we keep them extremely busy on the trip.

Also, we found that most of the expenses on the trip were upfront ones, that would have to be paid regardless of the length of the trip. So, the additional weeks added only minimal expenses. A three week tour now would run about $3000 and the six week tour runs about $4500.

Now that we have done several six week tours, it is also tough to try to figure out what (cities and sightseeing) to eliminate from the tour, should we cut the trip length in half. We could easily cut things out and make the tour 90% wrestling. But, if you ask the wrestlers what they appreciated most about the trip, it was the opportunity to actually have the chance to visit the sites of the places we visited. In fact, the most vivid memories of past team members is not of the wrestling, but of the fun things they saw and did with their teammates.

COST

The other major concern folks have is the cost of the tour. What they don't realize is that most can raise the money. The main problem here is that folks don't know how to raise the money, or really don't want to put the effort into doing so. Remember, we have had more than 600 wrestlers go on this trip in the past and raise the money. So, it can be done.

We do provide a packet of materials to help and also go over ideas that families have used successfully in the past. Yes, $4500 sounds like a lot, but you can break that amount into smaller parts to work on it. That's only 225 folks donating $20 each, which doesn't sound as daunting of a task anymore, especially when you know some folks are going to donate more than that.

How about some sort of $5 product (several kids used wristbands this past year) that they can sell. Selling 200 of those to friends can generate close to $1000. We also provide some opportunities at the TofC, and some families have raised more than $500 selling raffle tickets and helping in the t-shirt area.

One other thing folks fail to think about is that there are others,that generally would be willing to help, should you ask. Folks like to help support kids in their quests, but often need to be asked to do so. A wrestler in a middle school, or youth program, probably has 100 other wrestling families in their community that can probably help in some fashion, if asked. There are also friends and family members that also can help out.

In a small community? Well, you will find that is often easier to raise the funds, as the entire community enjoys supporting someone from their area.

So, where all does the money go? Below is an estimate of expenses, based on a $4500 per wrestler budget

Airfare $550
Equipment $700
Sightseeing $700
Meal Money $650
Rental Vehicles & Gas $600
Lodging $700
Team Camp $200
Exchange Gifts $200
Photos/Videos/Certificates $100
Coaches $200
Miscellaneous $100

Hopefully that answers some additional questions you may have about the team.

Bart Freidenberg
614-833-5885

Re: 2013 & 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Info [Re: OhioTofC] #208498 10/03/12 02:26 PM
O
OhioTofC Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Dear Potential 2013 Ohio All-Star Team Members & Parents,

You are invited to the following site to view photos from this past year's Ohio All-Star tour. Hopefully this will allow those of you, who are considering applying for the team, to understand a bit more about what goes on during the tour.

http://ohioallstarwrestlingteam.shutterfly.com/

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg
OASWT

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 145 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)