Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Triple Crown Question #218118 04/03/13 10:59 AM
E
Eagle One Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Can somebody tell me if the Folkstyle state is the 1st in the series or last of the Triple Crown?

Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Eagle One] #218120 04/03/13 11:00 AM
Ed Wilson Offline
First

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Ed Wilson] #218138 04/03/13 01:10 PM
Cokeley Offline
Let me clarify that the triple crown recognition is only for these age groups:

Schoolboy
Cadet
Juniors

You must be either a KSHSAA State Champ or a USAWKS Folkstyle champ then win the Greco Roman and Freestyle State tournaments to be recognized.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Cokeley] #218153 04/03/13 03:17 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
Will,

Why is that? I think you could generate more interest in freestyle/Greco by offering this to all age divisions.

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Jack Otero] #218156 04/03/13 03:36 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
I don't know if thats correct Jonny won a triple crown 4 years ago and was not yet a schoolboy

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Jack Otero] #218158 04/03/13 03:55 PM
T
T. Lange Offline
T
My club had two wrestlers (Garrett Lange) and (Troy Fisher) that meet the requirements for the Triple Crown this year, but were not recognized for their accomplishment. I was told "they did not win a true Triple Crown" because of the number of wrestlers at their division. I guess the executive councel decided that they would combine weights to make the brackets harder, but still not include them in this award. This rule makes no sense at all! Our sport is under attack and being taken out of the Olympics, and we are not wanting to recognize kids that are wrestling all year so that they can get better and achieve what has been made out to be a big award. It was never the jacket that he wanted, but just to have his moment in the sun and for everyone to know that he did it. My son started at a very low level in wrestling and would have never thought he had a chance to achieve this goal. Now that he did it he feels robbed of it. Before Garrett’s finals match I told him to go out and show all of them that he was something special no matter what they say. He did and I could not be more proud. This year he has another chance of achieving that goal of TRIPLE CROWN, but now it seems a little tarnished and little less important in his eyes. I hope we can all learn from this. We all say we are doing all this for the kids, but it seems in this case we forgot that. As his dad I want to say that I am so proud of him! He makes me proud everytime he steps on the mat because I know how hard this sport is. WAY TO GO GARRETT AND TROY YOU DID IT!!!!!!!

Terence Lange
316-209-5887
Kansas Young Guns
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: T. Lange] #218164 04/03/13 04:51 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: T. Lange
My club had two wrestlers (Garrett Lange) and (Troy Fisher) that meet the requirements for the Triple Crown this year, but were not recognized for their accomplishment. I was told "they did not win a true Triple Crown" because of the number of wrestlers at their division. I guess the executive councel decided that they would combine weights to make the brackets harder, but still not include them in this award. This rule makes no sense at all! Our sport is under attack and being taken out of the Olympics, and we are not wanting to recognize kids that are wrestling all year so that they can get better and achieve what has been made out to be a big award. It was never the jacket that he wanted, but just to have his moment in the sun and for everyone to know that he did it. My son started at a very low level in wrestling and would have never thought he had a chance to achieve this goal. Now that he did it he feels robbed of it. Before Garrett’s finals match I told him to go out and show all of them that he was something special no matter what they say. He did and I could not be more proud. This year he has another chance of achieving that goal of TRIPLE CROWN, but now it seems a little tarnished and little less important in his eyes. I hope we can all learn from this. We all say we are doing all this for the kids, but it seems in this case we forgot that. As his dad I want to say that I am so proud of him! He makes me proud everytime he steps on the mat because I know how hard this sport is. WAY TO GO GARRETT AND TROY YOU DID IT!!!!!!!

The triple crown award was created without any rule or bylaw being written to clarify. Ned Price created this award in 2007. It was put in place to promote spring/summer wrestling. In 2009 and 2010 it became clear that it was counter productive as parents would NOT let us combine the weight classes to get kids matches. There were several brackets that had ONE wrestler. The parents/kids did NOT want to jeopardize their opportunity for the triple crown so they elected to collect their medal and go home. In 2010 the Executive Council voted unanimously to eliminate the triple crown award for age groups below schoolboy in response to the decision by the corporate board to combine weights in these same age divisions. Starting in 2011 there was only recognition for Schoolboy, Cadets, and Juniors. This decision was published in the minutes and there was no objection at the state body meeting. Schoolboy, Cadets, and Juniors age groups have structured USA weight classes as the FS/GR State tournaments are used to help set the line up for the FS/GR Dual teams that compete in June. No conspiracy or desire to not recognize anyone for their efforts and accomplishments. It was done to prevent controversy when bracketing. Wrestlers are not going to get better by getting a medal and not wrestling.

If it is important then someone can write a proposal and email it to Matt Treaster by July 31st and it will be discussed and made available to be voted on in the fall at the state body meeting.

Last edited by Cokeley; 04/04/13 04:07 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Cokeley] #218166 04/03/13 05:30 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Terence, I would recommend two things.

First write Treaster to get the rule applied in a way for all who desire the achievement, the chance to earn it.

Second as Garret and Troy are extraodinarly talented wrestlers and proof that summer wrestling makes winter champions. Compete if for no other reason that to participate in the schoolboy duals. Which for jonny was way more rewarding than any triple crown.
Plus last year after taking second at folkstyle state jonnys main goal in his bracket at FS GR state was to make sure anyone going for a triple crown not have any easy time doing so. A little bitter and petty I know but goals are goals

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: hotrodder54] #218169 04/03/13 05:41 PM
T
T. Lange Offline
T
Jon,

Thanks for the kind words about our boys. I can tell you that the kids on our club love the challenge of wrestling your son whenever possible because he sets the bar for excellence. I will take your advice and have Garrett push to make a team for school boy duals as he loves to be challenged, and making new friends along the way. By the way there is nothing petty in wanting to make people EARN it.

Thanks!

Terence Lange
316-209-5887
Kansas Young Guns
Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: T. Lange] #218272 04/05/13 12:21 AM
H
Hovisdad Offline
H
Didn't Troy win a triple crown in 2010 or 2011?

Re: Triple Crown Question [Re: Hovisdad] #218274 04/05/13 01:22 AM
Beeson Offline
The Award is a bull^%$# award now anyways. What was meant to encourage participation is now discouraging because of all the red tape. Punishing those who show up because of those who don't. IGNORANCE at it's finest.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)