Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225006 02/11/14 08:59 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
Jeff Boyle-Jr National Champ
Eric Akin-Jr National Champ-Cadet World 2nd
Bo Maynes-Jr National Champ-Never taken down wins over Spaulding
Zac Roberson-2X Jr National Champ
Melvin Douglas-Jr National Champ
Temoer Terry-Cadet National Double Champ

I have known several that have walked through KS competition by pinning a lot of people. These guys went on the scholastic level and won on the biggest stage in HS athletics at that time.

These guys all had fantastic scholastic careers

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Travis Phippen] #225008 02/11/14 09:06 PM
badbo Offline
Got to admit I kinda like Phippen's list too.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Cokeley] #225009 02/11/14 09:07 PM
Cokeley Offline
Another blast from the past... I knew this guy personally. Super freaky athletic. BB, as he was known in Liberal, beat a Newton senior when he was a soph in the finals in Newton. I believe it was one of the Thaw brothers (but I could be wrong). As Beeson stated, Liberal wrestlers weren't allowed to wrestle HS until they were Sophomores until the fall of 1982 I believe. Many schools had that restriction back in the day.

1973 1 (4A) Witherspoon, Bernard Liberal 138
1974 1 (4A) Witherspoon, Bernard Liberal 145
1975 1 (4A) Witherspoon, Bernard Liberal 145

Bernard came to the room when I was in HS and he was a beast and quick as a cat on his feet. VERY dominant back in the 70's.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Cokeley] #225011 02/11/14 09:13 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Todd Layton (sp?). independence, ks. Mid 80's.

Bob Burnett
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: badbo] #225015 02/11/14 09:41 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
[quote=badbo]Got to agree with Beeson. We are ranking kids on dominance, but yet allow kids that "red shirt" to be in the same conversation. Great wrestlers no doubt, but it's a clear advantage to mature and refine yours skills another year.

I guess I'll ask...any of these top ten ever get held back or start kindergarten late? I'm not saying they didn't get some advantage from the year in NM, but both being 40ish and 0 their freshman year isn't just from that one year. You would think a senior with their extra age and experience could have knocked them off. Caldwell pinned 36, I believe, as a freshman. This included a VERY good, older Paul Hansen.

I won't argue with any list if it's about HS careers, but if you're going to say a best ever in Kansas they better have some AA status in college (or beyond).

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Travis Phippen] #225016 02/11/14 09:44 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
Jeff Boyle-Jr National Champ
Eric Akin-Jr National Champ-Cadet World 2nd
Bo Maynes-Jr National Champ-Never taken down wins over Spaulding
Zac Roberson-2X Jr National Champ
Melvin Douglas-Jr National Champ
Temoer Terry-Cadet National Double Champ

I have known several that have walked through KS competition by pinning a lot of people. These guys went on the scholastic level and won on the biggest stage in HS athletics at that time.

These guys all had fantastic scholastic careers

David Ray - Class '81 - only one loss in HS and I think 135 wins. 2x Jr. Nationals GR champ and FS Runner up. There wasn't a Cadet division in those days.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Just Wondering] #225017 02/11/14 09:50 PM
Crossface King Offline
Doug Duell 4 time state champion and a grand state champion in 1975. The man was a beast.

Last edited by Crossface King; 02/12/14 01:57 AM. Reason: correction in info

Jonathan Whisnant
Goodland High School-USD 352
Assistant Wrestling Coach
jonathan.whisnant@usd352.org
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Crossface King] #225018 02/11/14 09:57 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Crossface King
Doug Duell 4 time state champion and I believe a two time grand state champion. The man was a beast.

He was only a 1x Grand State Champ. He graduated in '75 and the tournament only happened in 75 and 76. I know Oeser lost to Bill Boyle or he would have been a 6xer.

Layton only lost once in HS and was the Captain of the last Notre Dame wrestling team.

How about Eric Koehler, 3xer, from Nemaha Valley. He beat Melvin Douglas in the Sunflower Classic, 1981

In 1981 the Kansas Kids sponsored a Grand State like event the weekend after high school state. At the time there were 12 weight classes so 24 wrestlers qualified for the finals: 6A-9, 5A-9, 4A-2, 321A-4.
98lbs Joel Rios-Emporia over Kelby Harrison-Newton 9-4
105lbs Larry Taylor-Wichita over Harmon Daniels-Leavenworth 12-5
112lbs Vince Martinez-Newton over Jim Hahn-Emporia 2-0
119lbs Bobby DeLeon-Leoti over Ken Rogers-Wichita 12-10
126lbs Chirs Marisette-Leavenworth over Chris Richards Fall
132lbs Lance Milsap-Wichita No. over Cliff Noce-Emporia 9-6
138lbs David Ray-Goddard over Troy Sporer-Oakley 9-6
145lbs Greg Unruh-KMC over Steve Levin-Manhattan 5-2
155lbs Pat Spencer-KMC over Alex DeLeon-Leoti 8-7
167lbs Eric Koehler-Nemeha Valley over Melvin Douglas 12-11
185lbs John Payne-Great Bend over Jerry Hersefeld-Belleville
HWT Steve Nave-Coffeyville over Marc Simon-August 11-3

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Ryan Jilka] #225027 02/12/14 12:31 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Ryan Jilka
Originally Posted By: badbo
Got to agree with Beeson. We are ranking kids on dominance, but yet allow kids that "red shirt" to be in the same conversation. Great wrestlers no doubt, but it's a clear advantage to mature and refine yours skills another year.

I guess I'll ask...any of these top ten ever get held back or start kindergarten late? I'm not saying they didn't get some advantage from the year in NM, but both being 40ish and 0 their freshman year isn't just from that one year. You would think a senior with their extra age and experience could have knocked them off. Caldwell pinned 36, I believe, as a freshman. This included a VERY good, older Paul Hansen.

I won't argue with any list if it's about HS careers, but if you're going to say a best ever in Kansas they better have some AA status in college (or beyond).

Here is my argument on just one year difference. I was an ok wrestler and went 12-14 my freshman year. My sophomore year I went 26-3-1 losing to an Oklahoma State Champion at Perry, and two Kansas State Placers(both of whom I beat later in the year) and won a State Title. My Junior year I was a State Champion and went 27-1 losing to Mike Klinglesmith, Freestyle National Champion from Midwest City Oklahoma. My Senior year I was a State Champion and went 28-1 losing to 2x undefeated State Champion Jonny McCreary from Wellington. My point is had I redshirted, I would have had a pretty impressive career and more than likely been a 4x State Champion with a total of 5 losses instead of losing 19. One year makes a huge difference. If it didn't I doubt they would have redshirted.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225036 02/12/14 01:45 AM
H
Holliday Hays Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Cokeley could be making up names from the 70's and we'd never know

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Holliday Hays] #225055 02/12/14 01:34 PM
BigPin22 Offline
What were Randy Roarks HS accomplishments? He may not have the credentials some of these others have but he was definitely one of the slickest wrestlers to come from Kansas.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: BigPin22] #225057 02/12/14 01:42 PM
D
DJLoyd Offline
D
Billy Gabel was one of the most dominant high school wrestlers i had ever seen. He was a multiple time Fargo All-American , 4 time high school state champion, etc. Matt Murray from Colby is another one who should be thrown into the mix. NCAA finalist for Nebraska back in 2004 i believe

"Give God All the Glory"
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225058 02/12/14 01:53 PM
M
Murph Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Got to agree with Beeson. We are ranking kids on dominance, but yet allow kids that "red shirt" to be in the same conversation. Great wrestlers no doubt, but it's a clear advantage to mature and refine yours skills another year.

Here is my argument on just one year difference. I was an ok wrestler and went 12-14 my freshman year. My sophomore year I went 26-3-1 losing to an Oklahoma State Champion at Perry, and two Kansas State Placers(both of whom I beat later in the year) and won a State Title. My Junior year I was a State Champion and went 27-1 losing to Mike Klinglesmith, Freestyle National Champion from Midwest City Oklahoma. My Senior year I was a State Champion and went 28-1 losing to 2x undefeated State Champion Jonny McCreary from Wellington. My point is had I redshirted, I would have had a pretty impressive career and more than likely been a 4x State Champion with a total of 5 losses instead of losing 19. One year makes a huge difference. If it didn't I doubt they would have redshirted.

Chad,

A tie???!! A Tie???!! Please, Chad, please tell me that you did not accept a tie!!

Surely, at the age of 16, in a move that foreshadowed your prolific posting on the Talkforum site, you grabbed the micro-phone, leapt onto the announcer table in full singlet splendor, and said something like this:

“A tie is unacceptable!! You either win the wrestling match or you lose the wrestling match! I am charged with scoring more points than my opponent. I failed to do so. I thus did not win and must be charged with a loss.

This is just an example of preparing the path for the child, not preparing the child for the path!! This is simply this handing out awards to all the participants so they will feel good about themselves.!! A tie won’t help my team gain team points and further build team tradition. I want no part of it. I decline your tie and will only accept a loss!!

I swear before all present in this gymnasium that I believe this with my heart and soul, and only hope that technology will someday allow me to speak these same words from my desk at work for the entire wrestling community to hear. ” smile

But even if you didn’t, that’s a dang good record. Congratulations.

Patrick Murphy

p.s. I hope you think this is funny, cause that's how I mean it!! See you on a Saturday.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: DJLoyd] #225059 02/12/14 01:55 PM
BigPin22 Offline
Kreigbam, And Taplin destroyed most everyone they wrestled.
Justin Dyer was a man among boys!

Michael Bradley could score at will on most any opponent and has wins over Shawn Bunch.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Murph] #225063 02/12/14 02:22 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Murph
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Chad,

A tie???!! A Tie???!! Please, Chad, please tell me that you did not accept a tie!!

Surely, at the age of 16, in a move that foreshadowed your prolific posting on the Talkforum site, you grabbed the micro-phone, leapt onto the announcer table in full singlet splendor, and said something like this:

“A tie is unacceptable!! You either win the wrestling match or you lose the wrestling match! I am charged with scoring more points than my opponent. I failed to do so. I thus did not win and must be charged with a loss.

This is just an example of preparing the path for the child, not preparing the child for the path!! This is simply this handing out awards to all the participants so they will feel good about themselves.!! A tie won’t help my team gain team points and further build team tradition. I want no part of it. I decline your tie and will only accept a loss!!

I swear before all present in this gymnasium that I believe this with my heart and soul, and only hope that technology will someday allow me to speak these same words from my desk at work for the entire wrestling community to hear. ” smile

But even if you didn’t, that’s a dang good record. Congratulations.

Patrick Murphy

p.s. I hope you think this is funny, cause that's how I mean it!! See you on a Saturday.

I believe the tie was with Manhattans Mitch Bammes. Unfortunately at that age I did not know that a tie was really considered a loss. I ammend my record to 26-4 and hope that Bammes will ammend his record also. Thanks for the reality check. I loved it.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: BigPin22] #225066 02/12/14 02:25 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: BigPin22
Kreigbam, And Taplin destroyed most everyone they wrestled.
Justin Dyer was a man among boys!

Michael Bradley could score at will on most any opponent and has wins over Shawn Bunch.

I think Bryan Tennant beat Michael Bradley his Sr. Year. Tennant was also gave 2x NCAA Champion and 3X Finalist Jonny Hendricks "Big Rig" his last loss of his High School Career and his only loss his Senior year.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225092 02/12/14 04:47 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Good to see Dyer's name brought up in this discussion. Wasn't he the rare wrestler who started out as a freshman at like 180 pounds or something?! Was he third as a freshman and then three times - undefeated state champ?

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Dean Welsh] #225094 02/12/14 05:02 PM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
Dyer wrestled 160 as a freshmen, finishing 3rd. He lost two matches that season, one to Jordan Nichols of Garden City in the state semi's.

He lost one match as a sophomore to a Missouri wrestler, capturing a state title at 171. He was an undefeated state champ his junior and senior seasons - both at 189.

Dyer was a physical freak. A rare combo, he was our quarterback and middle linebacker. Also a stud in the classroom - he's now a professor at the University of Missouri.

Last edited by CoachFitzJr; 02/12/14 05:04 PM.

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Holliday Hays] #225095 02/12/14 05:02 PM
K
KSwrestling4life Offline
K
Bradon Pfizenmaier - Clay Center High School
3x State Champion, 3rd Freshman year, 129 -6 High School Career record, 4th at Senior nationals (After losing first round)

Division II runner-up and 3x all-American for UNK

Great person and great wrestler.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: KSwrestling4life] #225129 02/13/14 01:10 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
His HS career is not over yet . . . but Dustin Williams. The ONLY Newton tourny FOUR time winner.

What is his record/accomplishments?

The few times I have been fortunate to watch him, he was very dominating!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Vieyra), 90 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)