Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Dean Welsh] #225181 02/14/14 04:29 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
The "red shirt" discussion really doesn't fly. What's the difference between Caldwell and Beard taking the year in the 8th grade or parents holding a kid out of kindergarten until he's 6? Seen a lot of kids a whole year older than the rest of their class. BTW in a lot of those cases (obviously not Caldwell or Beard), those "red shirt" kids struggle when they get to college. I figure it's because they were too far ahead of the HS competition, and didn't have the work ethic needed to succeed.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: HEADUP] #225214 02/14/14 07:39 PM
badbo Offline
Headup. The difference is when it's done purely as a way to gain a competitive athletic advantage as a repeat 8th grader. When you hold a kid out of kindergarten at 6, it's much less likely you have a specific focus or target to gain a advantage in.

Also when you are 6 and held back, you are not moving to New Mexico for a year and training with the Adamson's. They were a very high profile wrestling family that trained Boaz and Tyler daily at a very high level for a solid year. Don't get me wrong, I like both those kids, but to say that was not a advantage is not thinking it through.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: badbo] #225256 02/16/14 04:12 AM
M
Mitch Beims Offline
M
What a loaded question here. Lots of fabulous guys have been mentioned on the above posts. In my wrestling days anyone with an Ark City singlet was a beast including Ware, Beeson, and Hernandez (HS National Champion). I coached some dominant guys at Colby (ex. Murray 2x State Champ & DI National Runner-up at Nebraska, and Luedke State Champ & 2x JUCO National Champ & 2x AA at Iowa). I coached against a bunch of dominant guys also that come to mind Kreigbaum & Taplin (Abilene), Gilliland (Hoxie), and Gable (St. Francis). This list could go on forever.

I believe though this post was attempting to determine how Weigel's dominance compares to past wrestler's seasons. I have not seen this Weigel kid wrestle since he was a little dude in Russell when I coached there so I can not compare him to anyone.
But if you are talking most dominant season by a Kansas wrestler - there is no way anyone can compare to the senior year Jeff Boyle from Norton had.
I believe Boyle was 32-0, a state champion and his total wrestling stats were 32 takedowns and 32 pins. No escapes, no near falls, no reversals, no penalty points. Game over, can't be more dominant than that.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Mitch Beims] #225259 02/16/14 11:37 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

"Mitch Beims
"I believe Boyle was 32-0, a state champion and his total wrestling stats were 32 takedowns and 32 pins. No escapes, no near falls, no reversals, no penalty points. Game over, can't be more dominant than that."

I have to say that this takes the cake! I have not heard of that before 32TD and 32 pins. Awesome - Jeff Boyle!

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Mitch Beims] #225262 02/16/14 01:32 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Mitch Beims
if you are talking most dominant season by a Kansas wrestler - there is no way anyone can compare to the senior year Jeff Boyle from Norton had.
I believe Boyle was 32-0, a state champion and his total wrestling stats were 32 takedowns and 32 pins. No escapes, no near falls, no reversals, no penalty points. Game over, can't be more dominant than that.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner. That is more than impressive, that is total domination with no prejudice.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225263 02/16/14 01:40 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Mitch Beims
if you are talking most dominant season by a Kansas wrestler - there is no way anyone can compare to the senior year Jeff Boyle from Norton had.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner. That is more than impressive, that is total domination with no prejudice.

That is just insane. Yea, he has my vote.

Lee Girard
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: ReDPloyd] #225267 02/16/14 02:39 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Wow.....Boyle sounds like a stud. But here's my question...

If when the whistle blows, you takedown the wrestler, put him on his back and pin him inthe 1st period, how do you:

1. Get the takedown record.
2. Get a workout in because you are cutting weight.
3. Practice tackdowns

Hhhmmmm

Bob Burnett
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: ReDPloyd] #225268 02/16/14 02:40 PM
Crossface King Offline
Those kind of stats are insane and make him the undisputed champion of most dominate wrestler in Kansas. I will add this also shows a purity of purpose.

Last edited by Crossface King; 02/16/14 02:43 PM.

Jonathan Whisnant
Goodland High School-USD 352
Assistant Wrestling Coach
jonathan.whisnant@usd352.org
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Just Wondering] #225270 02/16/14 02:43 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Just Wondering
Wow.....Boyle sounds like a stud. But here's my question...

If when the whistle blows, you takedown the wrestler, put him on his back and pin him inthe 1st period, how do you:

1. Get the takedown record.
2. Get a workout in because you are cutting weight.
3. Practice tackdowns

Hhhmmmm

Which makes him even more impressive.

1. He doesn't care about takedown records. He is the most dominant, other records mean nothing.
2. He is so dominant that he is not cutting weight.
3. Practicing Takedowns is for the practice room so when he gets on the mat it is all business.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225271 02/16/14 03:01 PM
N. Broeckelman Offline
I believe it was 28 pins 28 takedowns as Norton's fall record is 28 I believe, but still none the less very impressive

Nathan Broeckelman
Head Wrestling Coach
Great Bend HS
KWCA Vice President
Ecclesiastes 10:10
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #225272 02/16/14 03:07 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I have to agree that Boyle is one of the most dominant wrestlers I have ever watched. I had the opportunity to wrestle in Western Kansas at the same time as Jeff (thank goodness I was a light weight). Boyle made every match look like he was wrestling a first year wrestler eventhough many of those wrestlers went on to wrestle and AA in college or play other college sports. I think one of the most impressive things about Jeff was is that he was a class act on and off of the mat.

I have also had the opportunity to watch and be part of the coaching staff in the Hays Club during Weigels progression through his prep career. Preston can wrestle with anyone in the nation and honestly probably put them on their backs. (Or as Cokeley referred to it "spin them like a top) I honestly can't say who is more dominant as they are completely 2 different styles of wrestlers. But one thing I do know is that Preston is just as much of a class act on and off of the mat as Jeff was.

Myself personally feel that dominance in wrestling should also include how these wrestlers promote themselves off of the mat as well as their accomplishments on the mat. I dont think you could go wrong with saying either of these wrestlers are one of the best ever.

Lance Geyer

Last edited by L.Geyer; 02/16/14 03:13 PM.
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: L.Geyer] #225276 02/16/14 03:47 PM
Crossface King Offline
Here is a link to the baddest, most dominate wrestler alive today. I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times at Nebraska's wrestling camps, and to this day my wrestlers talk about the time he spent a couple of hours just talking to them one evening. He truly is a great ambassador for our sport.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...p;DB_OEM_ID=100

Jonathan Whisnant
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Crossface King] #225277 02/16/14 03:58 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Jonathan,
I am not sure if today is the best time to post that he is the baddest wrestler today, especially since he got beat yesterday.

But all honestly I agree with you that he is the best wrestler in the world, it is just kind of ironic that his name comes up today after one of the biggest upsets ever in wrestling happened yesterday.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: L.Geyer] #225284 02/16/14 09:38 PM
Crossface King Offline
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
Jonathan,
I am not sure if today is the best time to post that he is the baddest wrestler today, especially since he got beat yesterday.

But all honestly I agree with you that he is the best wrestler in the world, it is just kind of ironic that his name comes up today after one of the biggest upsets ever in wrestling happened yesterday.

I honestly did not know that he lost yesterday; and yes that makes the timing very bad. Thank you for the info. Congratulations to Nick Marble:
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/d59f1696a48743daac997b8cfb943cd9/WRE--Burroughs-Loses

Last edited by Crossface King; 02/16/14 09:40 PM. Reason: update info

Jonathan Whisnant
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: Crossface King] #225287 02/17/14 12:27 AM
B
bbd Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Crossface King
Here is a link to the baddest, most dominate wrestler alive today. I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times at Nebraska's wrestling camps, and to this day my wrestlers talk about the time he spent a couple of hours just talking to them one evening. He truly is a great ambassador for our sport.
And this has what to do do with 'Kansas most dominant prep wrestlers'?

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: bbd] #225288 02/17/14 12:43 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Originally Posted By: bbd
Originally Posted By: Crossface King

Well everything for our future prep wrestlers if you think about it. Burroughs has set the bar for a lot of America's youth and given them something to strive for.

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: rccokeley] #225309 02/17/14 03:13 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: rccokeley] #225324 02/17/14 01:56 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Originally Posted By: bbd
[quote=Crossface King]Here is a link to the baddest, most dominate wrestler alive today. I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times at Nebraska's wrestling camps, and to this day my wrestlers talk about the time he spent a couple of hours just talking to them one evening. He truly is a great ambassador for our sport.
[/
Well everything for our future prep wrestlers if you think about it. Burroughs has set the bar for a lot of America's youth and given them something to strive for.
Huge Jordan Burroughs fan and I have read the attached article more than once and still cannot find how this relates to 'Kansas most dominant prep wrestlers'. Now if you want to start a thread titled "Americas youth and give them something to strive for" and attach the article, yes I would then be able to understand the correlation.

Thanks for posting that video Chief. Forgot how dominating that finals match was. And his opponent did go on and have a very successful wrestling career in college.

Last edited by bbd; 02/17/14 02:07 PM.
Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: bbd] #225326 02/17/14 02:00 PM
B
bigdaddy650r Offline
B
So who is the most dominant wrestler this year???

Re: Kansas' most dominant prep wrestlers [Re: bigdaddy650r] #225327 02/17/14 02:16 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy650r
So who is the most dominant wrestler this year???
Not saying I'm right or wrong, but I feel it would have to be between Dustin Williams and Preston Weigel this year.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)