Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting #231503 10/14/14 03:14 PM
G
GregMann Offline OP
OP Offline
G
There are two wrestling changes being considered at the upcoming KSHSAA Regional Meetings; both have to do with scheduling and both are, in my humble opinion, "no brainers" but I am offering some information, just in case.

HIGH SCHOOL. Every quasi-team sport overseen by the KSHSAA, except wrestling, is allowed to be involved in a limited number of multi-team events (a.k.a. tournaments or meets) that begin before 3:00 p.m. and with NO designated school days. As you know, wrestling has some limitations as to start times for tournaments (no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, unless a two day tournament, then there is no designated Friday start time(???). Similarly, quad duals cannot start before 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Thursday. This recommended change does two things: #1 Allows for two (2) SINGLE DAY tournaments that can be held on Fridays and which could start as early as 1:00 p.m. (this is done in Nebraska quite a bit). This could possibly allow for (a) an additional Saturday or two at home for our coaches and athletes, and/or (b) allow schools to not have to double up JV and Varsity events on a Saturday.

Or, schools can choose to NOT utilize it. It is just another possible tool.

The second change for the high school would be to allow quads to be held on days other than Fridays with a start time of 3:00 p.m.

MIDDLE SCHOOL/JUNIOR HIGH. The second proposed change has to do with JH/MS wrestling. Out here, we are having to gather more and more schools together to give our kids three and sometimes even two quality matches. If we bring more than five or more schools together this is considered to be a tournament and we have to burn three competition points. . .even though we are not keeping team scores or placings, individual placings or awarding medals. This has the affect of allowing us only 6 competition dates: four days of "dual" competition plus two "bona fide" tournaments. We propose to allow for a new category of competition for JH/MS we call"GET TOGETHERS" If more than 4 schools would "get together" to wrestle only TWO (2) competition points would be burned IF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET:
(1) NO team scores are kept;
(2) NO team awards are given;
(3) NO individual places are kept;
(4) NO individual medals or ribbons, etc. are awarded; and,
(5) NO individual wrestler wrestles more than 3 matches during a "Get Together."
This change would increase the the number of allowable season events by 25%. to 6 such events plus two "bonafide" tournaments.

If you are in a more populous part of the state and can get your competition with only three or four schools getting together, this would not affect your school at all.

I urge you to visit with whomever it is in your school that attends the Regional Meeting and votes on the proposals and ask them to support these changes.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: GregMann] #231505 10/14/14 05:35 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: GregMann
There are two wrestling changes being considered at the upcoming KSHSAA Regional Meetings; both have to do with scheduling and both are, in my humble opinion, "no brainers" but I am offering some information, just in case.

HIGH SCHOOL. Every quasi-team sport overseen by the KSHSAA, except wrestling, is allowed to be involved in a limited number of multi-team events (a.k.a. tournaments or meets) that begin before 3:00 p.m. and with NO designated school days. As you know, wrestling has some limitations as to start times for tournaments (no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, unless a two day tournament, then there is no designated Friday start time(???). Similarly, quad duals cannot start before 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Thursday. This recommended change does two things: #1 Allows for two (2) SINGLE DAY tournaments that can be held on Fridays and which could start as early as 1:00 p.m. (this is done in Nebraska quite a bit). This could possibly allow for (a) an additional Saturday or two at home for our coaches and athletes, and/or (b) allow schools to not have to double up JV and Varsity events on a Saturday.

Or, schools can choose to NOT utilize it. It is just another possible tool.

The second change for the high school would be to allow quads to be held on days other than Fridays with a start time of 3:00 p.m.

MIDDLE SCHOOL/JUNIOR HIGH. The second proposed change has to do with JH/MS wrestling. Out here, we are having to gather more and more schools together to give our kids three and sometimes even two quality matches. If we bring more than five or more schools together this is considered to be a tournament and we have to burn three competition points. . .even though we are not keeping team scores or placings, individual placings or awarding medals. This has the affect of allowing us only 6 competition dates: four days of "dual" competition plus two "bona fide" tournaments. We propose to allow for a new category of competition for JH/MS we call"GET TOGETHERS" If more than 4 schools would "get together" to wrestle only TWO (2) competition points would be burned IF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET:
(1) NO team scores are kept;
(2) NO team awards are given;
(3) NO individual places are kept;
(4) NO individual medals or ribbons, etc. are awarded; and,
(5) NO individual wrestler wrestles more than 3 matches during a "Get Together."
This change would increase the the number of allowable season events by 25%. to 6 such events plus two "bonafide" tournaments.

If you are in a more populous part of the state and can get your competition with only three or four schools getting together, this would not affect your school at all.

I urge you to visit with whomever it is in your school that attends the Regional Meeting and votes on the proposals and ask them to support these changes.

I think this is a no brainer also, but I have one problem. NO TEAM SCORES ARE KEPT. Are you fricking kidding me?

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: Beeson] #231507 10/14/14 07:04 PM
G
GregMann Offline OP
OP Offline
G
deleted: immature response to an uninformed opinion.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: GregMann] #231513 10/14/14 09:53 PM
Beeson Offline
The "fricking" score tells you who "fricking" WON and who "fricking" LOST. That is pretty "fricking" important in a "fricking" competition. "Fricking" Ridiculous!! At least your not giving out "fricking" participation ribbons. Rule "fricking" 4.

Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: Beeson] #231518 10/15/14 01:50 AM
G
GregMann Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Deleted: Immature response #2 to an uninformed opinion

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: GregMann] #231523 10/15/14 06:48 PM
RJW1 Offline
Beeson, you do realize that the rule does not disallow keeping a team score at all events, right? What the rule is saying is that if you keep a team score for an event with a bunch of schools there is will be constituted an Tournament for competition point counting! So if you get a bunch of schools together and keep team scores, it's a tournament and will be counted as such. If you get a bunch of schools together and don't keep team scores, it is not a tournament and will not be counted as such.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: RJW1] #231524 10/15/14 08:29 PM
G
GregMann Offline OP
OP Offline
G
What Rick said. Just another option that does NOT have to utilized.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: GregMann] #231531 10/16/14 03:40 PM
Beeson Offline
I understand...and like I said at the beginning, I just don't know why you would not keep team scores. If you are not going to keep a team score it is not a competition. I guess my questions are, if there is no score, does it count as a match on the wrestlers record? How can they count competition points if their is no competition? This sounds more like an OPEN Practice. I'm not against it, but I think if it passes someone needs to get it amended so that it actually counts, or amend it to allow OPEN Practices.

Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: Beeson] #231533 10/16/14 04:45 PM
RJW1 Offline
They would keep a match score, but not team scores.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: RJW1] #231534 10/16/14 06:20 PM
G
GregMann Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It is junior high/middle school. There is no state sanctioned post season where a season record would be vital/necessary. . .but, that is beside the point.

This suggested rule change is to make it legal to have more than four schools get together and count as only two competition points if those certain conditions are met.

There is NO RULE NOW that REQUIRES team scores be kept for any number of schools that get together to wrestle.

If schools do not want to meet the conditions for a 2 point "Get Together" they can continue to do as they have been.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Two items up for vote at Regional Meeting [Re: GregMann] #231572 10/19/14 10:19 AM
Cokeley Offline
A third thing to consider would be KSHSAA sponsoring MS or JH wrestling but abolishing all of the ridiculous controls they want to place on our kids trying to achieve excellence.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Derek Patterson, Dylan Hitchcock), 110 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,924
Posts250,329
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)