Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5A Rankings #232753 01/14/15 01:25 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Chief Renegade] #232756 01/14/15 03:08 AM
Cokeley Offline
Arkansas City High School - Aaron Bucher, Regional Manager
Andover, Andover-Central, Arkansas City, Goddard, Goddard-Eisenhower, Liberal, Wichita-Bishop Carroll, Wichita-Kapaun Mount Carmel
4 Ranked Teams 40% - 33 Ranked wrestlers 39%

Overland Park-Blue Valley West High School – Cindy Roach, Regional Manager
Kansas City-JC Harmon, Kansas City-Turner, Lenexa-Saint James Academy, Overland Park-Blue Valley Southwest, Overland Park-St. Thomas Aquinas, Overland Park-Blue Valley West, Pittsburg, Shawnee-Mill Valley

2 Ranked teams 20% - 20 Ranked wrestlers 24%

Salina-Central High School – Greg Maring & Shannon Peters, Regional Managers
Emporia, Great Bend, Maize South, Newton, Salina-Central, Salina-South, Valley Center, Wichita-Heights

3 Ranked Teams 30% - 18 Ranked Wrestlers 22%

Tecumseh-Shawnee Heights High School – David Wonnell, Regional Manager
Kansas City-F.L. Schlagle, Kansas City-Washington, Lansing, Leavenworth, Tecumseh-Shawnee Heights, Topeka-Highland Park, Topeka-Seaman, Topeka-West

1 Ranked Teams 10% - 13 Ranked Wrestlers 15%

Given that 2 to 3 ranked teams per regional would be average and 21 wrestlers we have a serious lack of balance in the regionals. I am guessing the Shawnee Heights regional will also lead the classification in OPENS...

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Cokeley] #232757 01/14/15 04:26 AM
Beeson Offline
Ark City has always been in the toughest regional. Topeka, KC Regional has always been less than stellar.

We are used to it. We love having our #4 seed against their #1 seed we win it way too many times.

Whoever comes out of the Ark City Regional will Win State....My bet is Goddard this year.

Last edited by Beeson; 01/14/15 04:07 PM. Reason: Spit FOOT out of MOUTH

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Beeson] #232762 01/14/15 11:35 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Overall depth this year (of the particular regional) I can not argue with the numbers. But always the toughest is a matter of opinion. There are some very tough teams all around the state in various classifications and in general it is a "regional", geography, and/or a travel issue for KSHSAA. There are ups and downs of talent in various areas all the time by team and by weight class.

http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/Wrestling/History.cfm

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/14/15 11:46 AM.
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: smokeycabin] #232763 01/14/15 12:00 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
It was just as bad last year, 4 of the top 5 teams came out of the same regional!

Who run Bartertown!
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: master blaster] #232765 01/14/15 01:13 PM
T
TateLoweDC Offline
T
Why don't we go to 2 16 team regionals in 5A/6A. The top 8 qualify for state. This would help equal out regionals across the board.

Tate Lowe
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: smokeycabin] #232766 01/14/15 01:14 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Overall depth this year (of the particular regional) I can not argue with the numbers. But always the toughest is a matter of opinion. There are some very tough teams all around the state in various classifications and in general it is a "regional", geography, and/or a travel issue for KSHSAA. There are ups and downs of talent in various areas all the time by team and by weight class.

Travel issue??? Smokey, we are talking about the same organization that sent 7 teams that were with in 15 minutes of each other to the 8th school in the regional requiring two hours of travel, one way, and hotel stays. I call BS on the travel issue.

It would just take establishing a date in January to announce the teams going to the regionals. Easy to do in 5A and 6A but not so easy in 4A and 321A. Still doable. It would require a couple hours of evaluation and an announcement.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Cokeley] #232769 01/14/15 03:26 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin

Travel issue??? Smokey, we are talking about the same organization that sent 7 teams that were with in 15 minutes of each other to the 8th school in the regional requiring two hours of travel, one way, and hotel stays.

Again I ask, did any of those 7 schools apply to host a regional? Beyond that, I have been to 4A regionals that those schools have no business hosting due to a lack of facilities or ability to do so.
I think with the potential budget cuts coming down the pike you are going to see travel expenses an even bigger concern in at least the near future.

Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Beeson] #232772 01/14/15 03:43 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Beeson

KSHSAA wont change it...they like for the KC area to feel like they are trying hard.

I usually agree with most, if not all, that Mr. Beeson says. In fact, I agree with Ark City being the toughest regional and the 5A team champion potentially coming out of that regional. However, to insinuate that the wrestlers in our area are not working or trying hard is false and unjustified. The teams in the KC area are working very hard to build and establish credible and competitive teams. There are club, middle school and high school coaches that put in countless hours to try to build these programs into respectability. It is no secret that wrestling is not a mainstream sport in our area. Without doing the research I'd venture to say that wrestling is the 5th or 6th most popular sport (if you can call 5th or 6th popular) in the KC area. We are competing with sports that do not require athletes to work as hard as wrestlers do. I know for a fact that our numbers are low here at Leavenworth because of the reputation we have for how hard we work our wrestlers. The societal shift in mentality to laziness and wanting something for nothing is a constant struggle we face, as I'm sure it is everywhere.

Everyone in the wrestling community acknowledges that Ark City and the rest of the teams in that area are some of the the best programs in the state year-in and year-out. Those programs are well respected by teams in the KC area and we will continue to work very hard to build our programs to be the best possible so we might one day be able to compete with the premier teams in the state.

Good luck to ALL of the athletes that choose to participate in this great sport...no matter where you live in this state.

Justin Bode
Leavenworth High School Boys and Girls Assistant
Tournament Director
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Coach Bode] #232773 01/14/15 04:12 PM
Beeson Offline
Coach Bode,

When I'm wrong I am more than happy to admit it and apologize for it. Let's just say I was probably not in the proper mind to be posting last night, and regret what was written last night.

You are correct, wrestling is huge in the KC/Topeka area and the kids work just as hard as any wrestlers in the state. I have deleted that part of my post along with reason for deleting it.

My apologies to all the Kansas Wrestlers, Coaches and Parents in the KC/Topeka area.

Chad Beeson

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Beeson] #232774 01/14/15 04:25 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
Let's just say I was probably not in the proper mind to be posting last night, and regret what was written last night

Haha, now that's something we can all relate to!

No worries! Good luck to your Ark City boys and to your son (I'm assuming he's your son) this weekend and the rest of the season.

Justin Bode
Tournament Director
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: master blaster] #232777 01/14/15 05:06 PM
S
Scooter Offline
S
Originally Posted By: master blaster
It was just as bad last year, 4 of the top 5 teams came out of the same regional!

If you can get the numbers to state having the toughest regional is an advantage at state as you do not see those kids until the semi's.

Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Scooter] #232782 01/14/15 07:38 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Below, are the regional locations for track - the "regional" are geography based and yes some of it does matter on travel costs. I am sure they do not sit at meetings and say there are 10 kids in this region that have the fastest mile in the state and 2 in the other part of the state. The KSHSAA people do not sit around and say lets make it hard for these kids to make it to state and easy for these other kids - that I do not believe.

In wrestling, track, cross country, tennis, golf, gymnastics, etc., - Sometimes it just works out that way where some individuals seasons end at the regional. Do they even need a regional for wrestling? 32 man bracket straight up, no seeding, blind draw, double elimination - 2 day tournament. There would be more locations willing to host state.

CLASS 5A
Kansas City-Washington HS
Regional #5
Managers: Bob Young/Charlotte Davis
Field Events: 3:30 PM
Prelims: 4:30 PM
Finals: 6:00 PM
KC
-F.L. Schlagle
KC
-Washington
Lansing
Leavenworth
Tecumseh-Shawnee Heights
Topeka-Highland Park
Topeka-Seaman
Topeka-West
Salina-South HS @ District Stadium
Regional #7
Manager: Ken Stonebraker
Field Events: 2:00 PM
Prelims: 3:30 PM
Finals: 5:00 PM
Hays
Great Bend
Salina-Central
Salina-South
Newton
Valley Center
Maize South
Wichita-Heights
Pittsburg HS
Regional #6
Manager:
Doug Hitchcock
Field Events:
:30
PM
Prelims:
Finals:
:30
PM
:00
PM
Emporia
KC
-JC Harmon
KC
-Turner
Lenexa-St. James Academy
OP
-Blue Valley Southwest
OP
-St. Thomas Aquinas
Pittsburg
Shawnee-Mill Valley
Wichita-Bishop Carroll HS @ Friends University
Regional #8
Ma
nagers: Larry Dostert / Cory Swords
Field Events: 3:00 PM (Girls Javelin

2:00 PM)
Prelims: 4:00 PM
Finals: 5:30 PM
Andover
Arkansas City
Goddard
Goddard-Eisenhower
Liberal
Wichita-Bishop Carroll
Wichita-Kapaun Mt. Carmel
Wichita-Wes

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/15/15 01:48 AM.
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: smokeycabin] #232784 01/14/15 09:14 PM
Cokeley Offline
1. Marcus Robinson – 9 - ARK
2. Gunnar Gentzler – 9 - AC
3. Dylan Gowin – 10 - MV
4. Dawson Podlena – 10 - SEA
5. Carter Guyer – 10 - AND
6. Jaysen West – 9 - MZS
1. Logan Treaster – 10 - NEW
2. Mason Turner – 9 - SCH
3. Conner Ward – 9 - MV
4. Lane Glover – 10 - GD
5. Tyler Kester – 10 - PT
6. Adam Ayala – 9 - KMC
1. Logan Terrill – 12 - ARK
2. Paul Stuart – 10 - AND
3. Will Spexarth – 10 - GD
4. Marty Verhaeghe – 11 - BVSW
5. Jaelynn Gay – 12 - SEA
6. Rylan Kasitz – 11 - MZS
1. Sean DeShazer – 12 - WH
2. Jake Beeson – 9 - ARK
3. Christian Bowen – 11 - GD
4. Khamin Crow – 12 - SEA
5. Griffin Bossingham – 11 - AND
6. Bryant Suellentrop – 12 - BC
1. Zak Hensley – 12 - SJA
2. Garrett Whitson – 12 - EMP
3. Garrett Lange – 9 - GD
4. Jack Maki – 10 - AND
5. Corbin Hockenbury – 10 - ARK
6. Conor Murphy – 10 - BC
1. Stephen Tujague – 11 - SJA
2. Kameron Frame – 10 - GD
3. Dakota Rodd – 11 - AC
4. Jake Patterson – 9 - SH
5. Logan Marx – 12 - MV
6. Isaac Russell – 12 - EMP
1. Kevin Kissane – 12 - MZS
2. Kendall Frame – 10 - GD
3. Bryan Burnett – 12 - MV
4. Joel Sponsel – 12 - BC
5. Bryson Nuckles – 11 - ARK
6. Armond McCray – 12 - WH
1. Kendall Biddle – 11 - ARK
2. Dayton Will – 12 - SLC
3. Sam Kissane – 10 - MZS
4. Vincent John – 12 - TUR
5. Daemeion Gay – 12 - SEA
6. Sammy Cokeley – 10 - SJA
1. Clay Lautt – 10 - SJA
2. Brett Woodruff – 12 - GD
3. Jacob Smith – 11 - TUR
4. Daniel Butler – 10 - LV
5. Mason Ray – 11 - SEA
6. Christian Rivas – 11 - GB
1. Matt Pratt – 12 - SJA
2. Dalton Peters – 11 - SLC
3. Cale Davidson – 10 - GD
4. Seth Burnett – 11 - MV
5. Brett Yeagley – 11 - SH
6. Jake Dusenbury – 12 - AND
1. Tyler Harris – 12 - SJA
2. Sage Eckman – 12 - EMP
3. Carter Hall – 12 - SH
4. Peyton Bendure – 11 - MV
5. Dylan Prince – 10 - PT
6. Nick Nece – 11 - KMC
1. Jared Langley – 12 - NEW
2. Caleb Ward – 12 - LS
3. Bailey Kelly – 11 - SEA
4. Victor Monarrez – 11 - LIB
5. Tommy Marquez – 12 - BC
6. Nick Kirmer – 11 - EMP
1. Ben Ewing – 12 - STA
2. Nick Nolting – 12 - BC
3. Kayne Hutchison – 10 - PT
4. Corey Atkins – 11 - GD
5. Michael Torres – 12 - EMP
6. Michael McMullen – 11 - SLC
1. Ben Powers – 12 - KMC
2. Sergio Borjas – 12 - LIB
3. Ian Hall – 11 - SEA
4. Carter Gragg – 12 - GD
5. Hayden Perry – 12 - EMP
6. Austin Lawrence – 12 - BVSW
Ranking Coordinator:
Eric Johnson
913-484-3624
C

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Coach Bode] #232785 01/14/15 09:19 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Coach Bode

KSHSAA wont change it...they like for the KC area to feel like they are trying hard.

I usually agree with most, if not all, that Mr. Beeson says. In fact, I agree with Ark City being the toughest regional and the 5A team champion potentially coming out of that regional. However, to insinuate that the wrestlers in our area are not working or trying hard is false and unjustified. The teams in the KC area are working very hard to build and establish credible and competitive teams. There are club, middle school and high school coaches that put in countless hours to try to build these programs into respectability. It is no secret that wrestling is not a mainstream sport in our area. Without doing the research I'd venture to say that wrestling is the 5th or 6th most popular sport (if you can call 5th or 6th popular) in the KC area. We are competing with sports that do not require athletes to work as hard as wrestlers do. I know for a fact that our numbers are low here at Leavenworth because of the reputation we have for how hard we work our wrestlers. The societal shift in mentality to laziness and wanting something for nothing is a constant struggle we face, as I'm sure it is everywhere.

Everyone in the wrestling community acknowledges that Ark City and the rest of the teams in that area are some of the the best programs in the state year-in and year-out. Those programs are well respected by teams in the KC area and we will continue to work very hard to build our programs to be the best possible so we might one day be able to compete with the premier teams in the state.

Good luck to ALL of the athletes that choose to participate in this great sport...no matter where you live in this state.

Just curious why Oak Park, Blue Springs, Oak Grove, Platte County, Park Hill, and some other Missouri schools can make it happen? If you walk over the Missouri river to the east do you automatically get better? smile I have shown the stats before... Since 1978 in the Topeka, Leavenworth, Johnson County triangle, only four state titles have been won in 5A and 6A. That is 4 of 74. Emporia won 11 during that time, I believe. Some of the best programs in Missouri are battling the same options you mention above yet overcoming them. What are your thoughts on these points?

Last edited by Cokeley; 01/14/15 09:20 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Cokeley] #232797 01/15/15 02:19 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: Coach Bode

Just curious why Oak Park, Blue Springs, Oak Grove, Platte County, Park Hill, and some other Missouri schools can make it happen? If you walk over the Missouri river to the east do you automatically get better? smile I have shown the stats before... Since 1978 in the Topeka, Leavenworth, Johnson County triangle, only four state titles have been won in 5A and 6A. That is 4 of 74. Emporia won 11 during that time, I believe. Some of the best programs in Missouri are battling the same options you mention above yet overcoming them. What are your thoughts on these points?

Mr. Cokeley,

I will admit that I am not all that familiar with the rules and regulations governing Missouri wrestling. However, I do know they have much less restrictive rules on coach-wrestler contact during their off season, which can only help to improve both team and wrestler success.

I do know that the programs you mentioned have tremendous kids wrestling clubs. Though I cannot speak for the rest of the teams in the KC or Topeka area, I can say that this is an area that we (Leavenworth County) have been working to improve over the past several years. We have a very dedicated group of volunteer coaches who are working very hard with our youth to try to grow the sport in our area. It may be hard for those outside of our program to see the improvement in our wrestlers (those who wrestle club) over the past several years...but the improvements are there.

These programs also have a very proud tradition of wrestling excellence. I'm not implying that schools in the KC/Topeka area are not prideful of their wrestling history, but I am saying that we (LV) do not have near as many young kids growing up wanting to wear our singlet as we do young kids wanting to wear our basketball uniform. Case in point, the state tournament last year we were seated by Ark City and they had no less that a dozen young men who were there to watch their Bulldogs compete. Listening to these young men, probably late elementary age to middle school age, cheer it was obvious that they were wrestlers. I remember talking with a coach from another team about "how many future state champs are sitting there watching." I have no doubt that the young men watching Ark City wrestle have a goal to one day dawn the purple and gold singlets. Our program, in its current state, does not have that type of youth following. We have our kids club and middle school programs in place and they are both improving so we can hope to build upon our proud tradition.

So I guess my answer to your question is...I wish I knew the secret recipe for establishing a dominant wrestling program. I know that I will continue to search for ways to continue to build our program into the best that it can be. I am open for any/all suggestions from those in successful programs. And I do feel that Leavenworth is a successful program with a proud history and tradition in its own right. grin

Plus, I've already tried sneaking some Platte County water into our wrestlers drinking water, but it seems to not had much effect. smile

Justin Bode
Tournament Director
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Coach Bode] #232802 01/15/15 02:29 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
Look at some of the top teams in the State right now that happen to be in the East. St. James, Mill Valley and Olathe North. All of these teams are well represented at Folkstyle Nationals, Fargo, Cadet and Junior Duals. The secret recipe is get on the mat, stay on the mat, and hit your goals. Just like I tell my kids, coaching too is not just a part time job, if you want a successful program put in time with your kids during the summer, or put others that can help them achieve targets into your schools during the spring and summer.

Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Travis Phippen] #232803 01/15/15 03:02 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
Look at some of the top teams in the State right now that happen to be in the East. St. James, Mill Valley and Olathe North. All of these teams are well represented at Folkstyle Nationals, Fargo, Cadet and Junior Duals. The secret recipe is get on the mat, stay on the mat, and hit your goals. Just like I tell my kids, coaching too is not just a part time job, if you want a successful program put in time with your kids during the summer, or put others that can help them achieve targets into your schools during the spring and summer.

I agree 100%

Justin Bode
Tournament Director
Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Coach Bode] #232997 01/21/15 01:39 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: 5A Rankings [Re: Chief Renegade] #233068 01/23/15 12:24 AM
WillyM Offline
Regional strengths, opens and unfairness for 4A to qualify for state relative to 5A and 6A has been cussed and discussed for a long time. Perhaps a better option would be to make the regionals 44-44-40 with 11 team each in 6A and 5A regional, and 4A regionals with 10 teams per regional. Teams in 6A and 5A regionals are tightly grouped and travel time and distance is a lesser issue. 10 team 4A regional may reduce time/distance travel problems. Think regionals in all 3 classes using a 8 bracket format can be wrestled in one day. Will have to pig tail in those weight classes with more than 8 wrestlers--most likely in 6A and 5A classes. Could consider a one and done for open round losers. Might still be a long day for 4A- that's a travel distance problem-- but still only one day--no or few over nights--sorry, but that's a 4A liability.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/23/15 12:32 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)