Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
baby injuries #234232 02/28/15 12:28 AM
B
BlueJay Pride Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I think kids faking injuries after an illegal move is crap..happened at 321a 182 pound class top ranked Gavin Lively of norton got DQ'd for an illegal slam the other kid gets up and is guna continue to wrestle but then coach tells him no kid walks off mat like nothing happened this isn't basketball it's wrestling your going to get throw down and get hurt the thing that upsets me is yes it was a clear slam but for them to fake an injury I think he shouldnt be able to wrestle his next match If it's on the same day. I'm not saying the slam was right and I'm glad the kid is ok but faking

Re: baby injuries [Re: BlueJay Pride] #234233 02/28/15 12:32 AM
B
BlueJay Pride Offline OP
OP Offline
B
And the kid wrestles in the semis and gets pinned in 30 seconds pretty sad even the tv announcers said it's odd how he was to hurt to finish the match but then wrestled in the semis

Re: baby injuries [Re: BlueJay Pride] #234235 02/28/15 01:39 AM
3HSWrestler Offline
Pretty sure the rules state that you're supposed to list your name...especially when calling out a high schooler and his coach. I didn't see what happen, and you could be correct as to what happen, but not listing your name is as cowardly as what you are calling a "baby injury".

Keith Heniss

Re: baby injuries [Re: 3HSWrestler] #234236 02/28/15 01:55 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I did not see the incident, but this happens all too often in our sport. From what I was told it was an illegal slam, and the other wrestler had trainers or maybe EMT's come to the mat. Therefore it apleared he was really hurt. But yet a couple of hours later he takes the mat in the semis. I do believe a rule needs to be put into place that if a wrestler injury defaults out of a match for any reason he can not wrestle the next match, unless the next match is the following day. This would stop a lot of wrestlers or coaches winning this way. I do not know if this wrestler was actually hurt or not, but I have seen plenty fake injuries to win matches over the years.

Lance Geyer

Re: baby injuries [Re: L.Geyer] #234243 02/28/15 02:52 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
I don't know what happened in this match. We had our best wrestler DQ'd in a dual tournament a few years ago which cost us the finals. Our wrestler was up big and coasting when he put his oppoonent down pretty hard, but it looked legal from my point of view. The other wrestler looked like he had regrouped and looked ready to go when his coaches (all three) came onto the center of the mat and appeared to tell him to sit down and then talked with him more. Suddenly, he was looking like he was hurt. That sucked, but our wrestler could have beat him 100 times out of 100 and should have just finished the match. If a wrestler is dominating the match, they shouldn't take any chances and finish their business.

Lee Girard
Re: baby injuries [Re: ReDPloyd] #234255 02/28/15 05:15 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Nobody likes winning or losing in that situation. It was an obvious slam properly called. And the boy was obviously hurt. That incident was in no way shape or manner a fake. I am sure an apology would be accepted!

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: baby injuries [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #234257 02/28/15 07:21 AM
B
bbd Offline
B
What was his "injury" that he couldn't continue?

Re: baby injuries [Re: bbd] #234259 02/28/15 12:33 PM
Coach Malay Online Content
Online Content
I believe that they were concerned about a head injury. From what I saw the kid landed on his head and neck. It was illegal. It sucks that such a good wrestler was dq'ed though.

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: baby injuries [Re: bbd] #234260 02/28/15 12:38 PM
K
KSwrestler103 Offline
K
From my vantage point, I would say he had a concussion. After the slam, which I didn't see, he was on his knees with his head in his hands on the mat. He looked in pain while rolling to his back and still kinda moving around. They brought the stretcher to the mat but they decided he didn't need it as he put his arms around his coaches and they basically dragged him off. He had jelly legs pretty bad and looked like he didn't know how to use his legs. So if he had a concussion or symptoms of one, he should still have been required to get approval from a doctor to wrestle his next match I think

Re: baby injuries [Re: KSwrestler103] #234266 02/28/15 01:27 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
The wrestler was taken to the hospital in Hays where he was cleared by a physician to continue to compete. So, apparently there were no concussion issues. It appeared to me it was his neck that was the focus of concern while he was on the mat.

Glad he was not hurt, but bet he is sore today.

There is the possibility he and Gavin Lively could meet again today. Stranger things have happened.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: baby injuries [Re: GregMann] #234313 03/01/15 03:00 AM
K
kstater Offline
K
Saw this happen in a state semi-final match years ago. Kid is behind 7 points with 30 secs left in the match and gets returned to the mat hard. . Heads to the middle of the mat ready to go when his coach starts yelling for him to stay down.

If you are injured bad enough to not finish a match I'm not sure what the injury would be that would heal so quickly to allow you to wrestle later that day or tourney.

Re: baby injuries [Re: kstater] #234315 03/01/15 03:30 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Hey KStater, I cant believe I am on the forum talking about this, I don't have a dog in the race.
But I am guessing you are talking about the Hoxie boy that lost that match. I and about 3,000 other people that saw that match agree with you 100% That was one of the worst moments I have witnessed in this great sport.

Where you are wrong is that is not what happened on Friday. The kid was hurt, the coach did not tell him to flop. I am very sure about both.
Anybody in the gym on Friday that saw the young man helped off the mat after about 5 minutes on his back knew that there was no way he could continue within the 2 minutes allotted for injury time. And as a long time coach I can think of hundreds of times where a wrestler in my practice room had to take a few minutes after an injury to recover before he could get back on the mat. In a tough room, that might even happen daily. Certainly with the level of competitors in the state quarter finals they would do anything in their power to get back on the mat. And in most cases in our sport most kids will find a way to get back on the mat after a few hours to recover.
Bottom Line: The referee made the right call, both coaching staffs and athletes handled a very tough situation in a very commendable way. Nobody was to blame, stuff happens and everybody involved handled the situation as it should be handled

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: baby injuries [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #234341 03/01/15 12:11 PM
J
jamesrenfro Offline
J
I heard an interview that Gavin gave for the state tournament while the finals were going on. What a class act. Everything he said was exactly what a CHAMPION would say. He wrestled for his team even though his dream of being a SC was over. He is something that as a coach and father made me proud of this great sport. Congrats to his parents, coaches and community for the character this young man in this opportunity to be all about me.

TCOB
Re: baby injuries [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #234366 03/01/15 09:01 PM
K
kstater Offline
K
Unfortunately this is not the time I am speaking of which further promotes the need for a rule change. I just can't think of an injury that would heal in an hour or day that would leave the wrestler unable to complete the match.

I was in Salina so did not see the 321A match on Friday.

Last edited by kstater; 03/01/15 09:07 PM.
Re: baby injuries [Re: kstater] #234638 03/03/15 11:40 PM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: kstater
I just can't think of an injury that would heal in an hour or day that would leave the wrestler unable to complete the match.

A can assure you that there are many injuries that are "minor" but nonetheless serious enough to be a real disadvantage if you choose to continue in that match. I've seen it happen many times, and I've had it happen to me. A slam is a perfect example. It can knock the wind out of you to the extent that you just aren't going to be same after a two minute rest. A poke in the eye could do the same thing. An illegal cross face resulting in a bloody nose. An illegal arm bar that tweeks the arm a bit. None are going to keep you out all day, but to be forced to continue in that match puts you at a disadvantage. The offending wrestler should not be able to take advantage of his illegal act.

There is always an option for the injured wrestler to forfeit the match before the 2 minutes of recovery time expires and give the match back to the kid that just committed the foul. I've seen that happen a few times over the years. An obviously superior wrestler commits and infraction that causes an injury against an opponent who will not advance further, either because of the injury or lack of skill and the coach forfeits the match rather than letting his wrestler take the win. That is the opposite approach, apparently, of those that are claiming coaches are telling their kid to take a dive. I've not seen that happen, but don't doubt that it does.

Re: baby injuries [Re: Rford] #234643 03/04/15 12:33 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
If you have ever had a stinger you know it is hard to shake off in a couple of minutes. It doesn't mean that you can't recover enough to be wrestling again in ten or fifteen minutes. As violent as hits in football can be, I had more stingers in wrestling practice than I did in football practice/games and they took some time to come back from and be near 100%. That is just one example I experienced.

Lee Girard

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)