Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The days of selling pizza cards are over. #242725 11/30/16 11:21 AM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Coaches,

We are currently in the midst of a fundraiser that I would be remiss not to share. Similar to a "Go Fund Me" type of event, eTeamSponsor uses crowdsourced fundraising to run an individualized campaign for your program. It's pretty fantastic...it took me about 2 hours of work from me and 30 minutes from my wrestlers on the front end and nothing since then, and we've already raised about half of our $20,000 goal. I know there are several similar sites out there as well...post here if any of you use anything similar so we can compare.

Here's a link to an article in the Topeka Capital-Journal. At the end of the article it has a link to our campaign page so you can see what it would look like with your team.

Good luck with the start of your seasons!

D. Parker, WRHS

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: DamonParker] #242738 12/01/16 03:19 AM
Cokeley Offline
Wow...what do you spend $20,000 on???

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: Cokeley] #242742 12/01/16 02:15 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Recruiting budget....oh wait public school never mind....haha

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: Teamroper] #242748 12/02/16 02:59 AM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Will-

We have 76 kids on our wrestling team. Outfitting these wrestlers in warm-ups and singlets costs money. Feeding these kids costs money. Our 62 JV wrestlers are just as important to our program as our 14 varsity wrestlers, and it costs money to treat them as such.

Additionally, we would like to have some of the same travel opportunities for our varsity program as many of our Kansas counterparts. We would love to take a trip to the Cheesehead, or to Katy, TX, or to Council Bluffs. However, our district budget per year is $1,200 (if our requests get approved, which they regularly don't). $1200/year comes to $15 a kid. Any out-of-state travel (and all in-state hotels for 2-day trips) come directly out of the money we raise ourselves.

With 76 kids, that comes to a goal of roughly $263 dollars per student. I think you'd agree that while optimistic, that number is not outlandish. Plus, it would be nice to be able purchase one wrestling mat for our kids that was manufactured in this century.

Additionally, as you may or may not have seen in the link above, as part of our wrestlers' character development we are donating $2,500 of the funds raised to Washburn Rural's "Adopt A Family" program. This fund provides coats, shoes, clothing, and other necessary items to students in need during the holiday season. Last season our wrestlers raised $2,200 for AAF by "passing a hat." This year we easily met our goal through this unique crowdsourcing fundraiser.

Don't get the wrong idea....I didn't post this link to ask people to donate to our campaign. As a coach who has sold his share of cookie dough and wrapping paper, I thought it may be help other coaches without unlimited resources find a way to meet their budgetary needs.

-edit-
Forgot to mention that we also pay an additional coaching staff salary out of our fundraising money so we can have more than 3 coaches with 76 kids.

Last edited by DamonParker; 12/02/16 05:33 PM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: DamonParker] #242765 12/05/16 11:17 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: DamonParker
Will-

We have 76 kids on our wrestling team. Outfitting these wrestlers in warm-ups and singlets costs money. Feeding these kids costs money. Our 62 JV wrestlers are just as important to our program as our 14 varsity wrestlers, and it costs money to treat them as such.

Additionally, we would like to have some of the same travel opportunities for our varsity program as many of our Kansas counterparts. We would love to take a trip to the Cheesehead, or to Katy, TX, or to Council Bluffs. However, our district budget per year is $1,200 (if our requests get approved, which they regularly don't). $1200/year comes to $15 a kid. Any out-of-state travel (and all in-state hotels for 2-day trips) come directly out of the money we raise ourselves.

With 76 kids, that comes to a goal of roughly $263 dollars per student. I think you'd agree that while optimistic, that number is not outlandish. Plus, it would be nice to be able purchase one wrestling mat for our kids that was manufactured in this century.

Additionally, as you may or may not have seen in the link above, as part of our wrestlers' character development we are donating $2,500 of the funds raised to Washburn Rural's "Adopt A Family" program. This fund provides coats, shoes, clothing, and other necessary items to students in need during the holiday season. Last season our wrestlers raised $2,200 for AAF by "passing a hat." This year we easily met our goal through this unique crowdsourcing fundraiser.

Don't get the wrong idea....I didn't post this link to ask people to donate to our campaign. As a coach who has sold his share of cookie dough and wrapping paper, I thought it may be help other coaches without unlimited resources find a way to meet their budgetary needs.

-edit-
Forgot to mention that we also pay an additional coaching staff salary out of our fundraising money so we can have more than 3 coaches with 76 kids.

I was just curious. Zero tax dollars fund SJA's staff, program or our travel. We too raise money. Many, many hours of time are donated. Many, many donations help us take care of our team. Our gear is purchased individually by each wrestler, excluding competition singlets.

I applaud your self funding efforts. I grow tired and weary of the "We can't afford it..." whining that you hear and read. Private schools pay their own way and guess what they are paying a portion of the public school's costs just like everyone else as well.

Coaching can be expensive when KSHSAA mandates that EVERY coach be under contract and paid. No more volunteers or $1 coaches.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: Cokeley] #242843 12/09/16 05:39 PM
Kale Mann Offline
That's an awesome campaign.

I'd be interested to know what kind of cut eTeam gets.

If you have Hudl, they do a similar campaign. They take clips you've marked as highlights and put them together to make a video. You call in and answer questions which they put your audio over the video. It is very quick to set-up and they only charge the credit card processing fee, no additional percentage off the top. Only negative I see is that you can't control your video, positive is you don't have to make it yourself!

Here is a link to our campaign page:

http://donate.hudl.com/wmzcw

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: Kale Mann] #242910 12/16/16 04:09 PM
Fraggle Rocks! Offline
Kale and Damon, Did you have to get district approval before setting up your fundraisers?

Fraggle Rocks!!!
Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: Fraggle Rocks!] #242913 12/16/16 05:41 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes. It was actually quite the production....went all the way up to the superintendent.

Re: The days of selling pizza cards are over. [Re: DamonParker] #242959 12/20/16 03:19 PM
Kale Mann Offline
I had to get it approved by my building administration, but it wasn't a big deal. No bigger than any other fundraiser we've ever done.

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 168 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)