Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Host your own tournaments every weekend #243383 01/15/17 04:01 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Host your own tournaments every weekend - invite only the competition you want to come within the KSHSAA designated area. Have your administration and Tournament committee write a no cancelation policy no matter what the conditions are. There you go problem solved. Oh that would be a lot of work hosting every weekend and getting the facility usage with all the other sports needing the gym also might be problematic.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/15/17 04:02 PM.
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: smokeycabin] #243393 01/16/17 12:04 AM
Beeson Offline
Smokey, I know you mean well, but you are wrong. Shame on the Bobcat. I would rather die living, than live in fear of dying. Bottom line, the wrong decision was made out of fear.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: Beeson] #243396 01/16/17 03:20 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
From the outside looking in and having to deal with this damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation, I think the call was made too early because if we know anything it is that weather is still very unpredictable that far out. But I also don't know what other factors they had to consider in the decision. Newton rolled the dice by waiting and they were right, this time.

But, seriously, you are willing to have others be responsible putting lives at risk (coming and going) to prove they're not scared of the weather?

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: GregMann] #243398 01/16/17 09:11 AM
Beeson Offline
Don't cancel the tournament. If a team can't make it, they can't make it. A lot of teams could have safely made it. And, Newton didn't roll the dice, the let common sense prevail.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: GregMann] #243399 01/16/17 01:09 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: GregMann
From the outside looking in and having to deal with this damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation, I think the call was made too early because if we know anything it is that weather is still very unpredictable that far out. But I also don't know what other factors they had to consider in the decision. Newton rolled the dice by waiting and they were right, this time.

But, seriously, you are willing to have others be responsible putting lives at risk (coming and going) to prove they're not scared of the weather?

Liability is the great, modern day cop out. You can find it as an excuse in EVERY situation. At the end of the day the person who canceled over a weather FORECAST is not doing their job unless it was to create a four day weekend for everyone in the metro area. We have snow removal, salt trucks, and a major highway system that is very well maintained at our disposal.

Riddle me this Greg...

Now let me bring up the dumbest thing ever. Schools cry uncle over liability all of the time. I can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt in my car equipped with multiple airbags. Little kids, middle sized kids, and big kids, tens of millions, are transported every day w ZERO restraints and ZERO airbags. Make sense out of that scenario all of you superintendents out there enjoying a four day weekend.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: Cokeley] #243409 01/16/17 04:22 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
It is sad that schools even sent kids home Friday. Was not one drop of any thing hit the ground. Schools did not have practice. Some schools did not drive to meets when they could of. It is sad that the people doing all of this are the ones teaching our kids.

The seat belt law did not go in to save peoples lives.Look at statistics now.It is a way to govern the masses. Some people want obedient kids/people. People can not think for them selves. Ask any one in the schools. It is the weather mans that was not right.People will take the easy way out every time,if there is some one to blame.

Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: CWB] #243441 01/17/17 02:01 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
In re: to the seat belt laws...in Kansas not wearing your seat belt is a primary offense meaning the police, without you speeding or committing another moving violation, can pull you over because you simply don't have your seat belt on (it's happened to me); yet Kansas doesn't have a motorcycle helmet law...we should not be surprised by the audacity of the double standards in this state

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: BigBlue6] #243443 01/17/17 03:43 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Host your own tournaments every weekend - invite only the competition you want to come within the KSHSAA designated area. Have your administration and Tournament committee write a no cancelation policy no matter what the conditions are. There you go problem solved. Oh that would be a lot of work hosting every weekend and getting the facility usage with all the other sports needing the gym also might be problematic.

Re: Host your own tournaments every weekend [Re: Cokeley] #243449 01/17/17 05:04 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Issue with seatbelts in buses. . .coming. Then prepare for the added costs of having an adult on buses to ride shotgun to make sure kids are buckled. . .can't expect the bus driver with 40+ kids to make sure; would prefer they keep their eyes forward as much as possible. Secondly, going to need to have someone available to help little kids buckle and unbuckle. . and God Forbid. . .in an accident what a giant mess that would be.

Of course your response is going to be some form of taking personal responsibility for getting kids to and from school. . .which I get but not the world we live in.

Will, I am not speaking for all of my colleagues but I did not enjoy a 4 day weekend. We had school on Friday. We did not go to the Halstead tournament, but that had as much to do with the sickness of our coaches and kids as it did the weather and not wanting to burn points for what we thought was going to be a "partial tournament." We did not call off any other activities and played HS BB on Friday and JH BB on Saturday. Our teacher inservice in Lindsborg on Monday was called off by the host. I spent Monday morning helping install hand rails in our gym, did "supt. work" in the afternoon: and had a meeting from 6 p.m. to about 9:00 p.m. So, sorry to smash your stereotype.

Again, you want to die proving you are a tough guy, go ahead. I prefer to not make that decision for you.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)