Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Weigh ins for State and Regionals #244422 02/14/17 01:53 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't really know who to call out on this question, but...When is Kansas going to start following National Guidelines for weighing in?

Are we really going to allow wrestlers to do Home Weigh-ins for Regionals? If so, Why don't we just go ahead and allow it for State as well? Hell, Why even weigh in? There are a lot of kids out there that look awfully big, and just can't seem to make weight unless they are having at home weigh ins. Or for some reason or the other, need to wrestle up at tourneys with shoulder to shoulder weigh ins.

KSHSAA or KWCA, needs to step up and do something good for this sport. Prepare the wrestlers for College, have shoulder to shoulder weigh ins for duals. At the very least, have shoulder to shoulder weigh ins for Regionals and State.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244431 02/14/17 02:21 AM
A
AverageWrestler Offline
A
While I agree that we do need non-home weigh ins for regionals and state, I think the fact that regionals are now two day tournaments really reduces the amount of cheating that could happen. Even if a wrestler doesn't make weight for their normal class in the morning (still a major problem in my eyes), what could they do about the night weigh in? That plus one isn't going to do jack for someone that's 7 over in the morning.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: AverageWrestler] #244432 02/14/17 02:23 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
How hard is that last pound to make? I think you just validated my suggestion of just not making weight at all. Or, if it's ok for Regionals, why not home weigh ins for State? It's principle.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244434 02/14/17 02:47 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
Well the state doesn't require shoulder to shoulder weigh ins for state already....freestyle/greco state has home site weigh ins. so maybe that's in the works for folkstyle as well

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244436 02/14/17 03:06 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
I don't feel like there is cheating happening with weigh-ins. I feel like coaches & admins are honest people and kids are making required weights like they're supposed to. I feel like if kids were allowed by their coach/admins to cheat on weigh-ins, that would surely get out. Kids wouldn't be keeping that quiet, kids are awful at that, they talk.

I also like home weigh-ins before school, so kids are not holding weight or trying to lose weight during academic time. That is not good at all for school focus & achieving good grades. Teachers would hate it & it would make it even harder than it currently is to continue to sell & grow our sport. I like that kids can make weight in the morning & then focus on academics during the day, like they should be.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Last edited by Kit Harris; 02/14/17 03:15 AM.
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Kit Harris] #244437 02/14/17 03:11 AM
A
AverageWrestler Offline
A
Very much agree with Kit here.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: AverageWrestler] #244442 02/14/17 09:44 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry Kit, but I disagree. Admins are easily manipulated and we only hear about the ones that get caught, not the ones that get away with it. Kids do keep quiet, I can think of two schools off of the top of my head that did it for quite a while before getting caught.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the before school weigh-ins help kids academically. The weight has to be cut and it is going to effect the weaker minded kids. So they are not performing well on dual night, now they are not performing well on the day before a dual instead. We go to a lot of Oklahoma and Missouri tournaments that do it the right way, and guess what, no problems with Academics. Also, if a kid looks big, at least you saw him make weight an hour earlier.

Here's where I debated throwing out a couple of logical jabs. I must be getting soft, I'll hold off for now.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244443 02/14/17 09:56 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm sure John Smith and Cael Sanderson are honest people. Do you think John will call Cael Sunday and say, "Hey just weigh in before you get here. I trust you ole buddy." Yeah, me neither.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244444 02/14/17 11:33 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but let me add one more thought on the subject I had while at the gym.

I have seen coaches watch a bad call for their wrestler and not correct it. I have seen coaches give JV records for a seeding meeting for a Varsity Tournament and pretend they are Varsity records. I have seen coaches argue calls that they know are right. I have seen coaches beg for calls they know are wrong and not feel a bit of remorse when they get the call. I have seen coaches tell kids to take a dive after an illegal slam. I have seen coaches catch kids with banned substances and look the other way. I have seen coaches allow kids to fake injury for a breather. This is not just one or two coaches, this is a majority of the coaches. While I believe intentions are good and most coaches try to be honest and fair, it doesn't always happen that way. With these examples in mind, do you really think there are not coaches out there allowing some weight allowance at home weigh ins?

Like my dad used to say, "Even good kids need to be checked up on so they don't make bad choices."

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244445 02/14/17 12:28 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
I can tell you FOR A FACT home site weigh ins were exploited last year for freestyle/greco state not to make the travel team but to clinch a triple crown, to the extent that the kid in question couldn't make the weight for the travel team and had to pull out. I would dare say that every time you have home site weigh ins available some one, some where is taking advantage of it and pushing through an overweight kid

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244446 02/14/17 12:36 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
Furthermore, if your interests lie in having your state series be as "untainted" as possible for any/all the styles you should remove home site/satellite weigh ins from the equation

Last edited by BigBlue6; 02/14/17 12:36 PM.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244471 02/14/17 10:20 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
You've beaten this dead horse so much, it's starting to bleed.

Eric Spexarth
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Spexy] #244472 02/14/17 10:25 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
ALL SCHOOLS, have the same rules. It is what it is. And across the board, all coaches and the administrators are doing a great job. This isn't college, those that choose to go on to the next level will figure it out. Why, cry over spilled milk? Always been this way.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Spexy] #244474 02/14/17 11:46 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Just cause it's always been done wrong does not mean it should continue. 20 years ago 8 kids got busted for not making weight, many were seniors. A coaching legend was and a administrator lost their jobs and reputation. I'm sure it is happening to this day. Regionals have never been done like this, so things do change.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244475 02/15/17 01:07 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Correct, things do change, as do the times. But the ALWAYS CONSTANT, is KSHSAA. Not right or wrong, in some people's, opinion. Wanna change it, run for a position, on the board. If not live with it, and support, our state and and wrestlers.
And pretty sure, EVERY team has a skeleton hanging in their closet. Past is the past. Careful.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244477 02/15/17 01:19 AM
N. Broeckelman Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Just cause it's always been done wrong does not mean it should continue. 20 years ago 8 kids got busted for not making weight, many were seniors. A coaching legend was and a administrator lost their jobs and reputation. I'm sure it is happening to this day. Regionals have never been done like this, so things do change.

It's been done this way for regionals in 4A and 321A for years....just new to 5A and 6A.

Nathan Broeckelman
Head Wrestling Coach
Great Bend HS
KWCA Vice President
Ecclesiastes 10:10
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Spexy] #244478 02/15/17 01:28 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Spexy
Correct, things do change, as do the times. But the ALWAYS CONSTANT, is KSHSAA. Not right or wrong, in some people's, opinion. Wanna change it, run for a position, on the board. If not live with it, and support, our state and and wrestlers.
And pretty sure, EVERY team has a skeleton hanging in their closet. Past is the past. Careful.

Careful on your Careful. Would love to exchange skeletons. Just say the word.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244480 02/15/17 02:34 AM
A
AverageWrestler Offline
A
Who are these teams you THINK are lying about making weight? How about instead of making wild accusations you start naming some names?

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Beeson] #244481 02/15/17 02:36 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Well,
I'm a bigger person. I'm not out to implicate, bash our sport, schools, coaches, administrators, or KSHSAA. What's your goal? Digging up old graves? And you do it EVERYTIME, at this time of year. Why dont you start in November/December?
Done with this thread.
IT'S A LOST CAUSE WITH BEESON!

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: AverageWrestler] #244483 02/15/17 02:52 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: AverageWrestler
Who are these teams you THINK are lying about making weight? How about instead of making wild accusations you start naming some names?

Says the poster with no name. I've gotten several phone calls and PMs asking about certain teams and giving instances on other teams. Widespread enough I'll bring it up every year, and for Spexy, I'll start early next year. Any team not willing to weigh in front of others are probably guilty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)