Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Spexy] #244484 02/15/17 02:53 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Beeson is right. Our rules do need to change. Home weigh-ins need to go away. The second weigh-in needs to be on the second day. Weigh ins for duals need to be shoulder to shoulder and an hour before the dual. The academic excuse is weak. If weight cutting is hurting your grades then move up a weight class. It's that simple. We absolutely should be trying to mimic the way they do things in college to prepare those that want to go on to the next level. Accomadate those guys not the guys that will be done after high school. Everyone wants to leave things as is because they're OK with how our state compares to others. I am not OK with how good we are as a state, neither is Beeson and that is why he pushes for change. It's not a lost cause at all.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244487 02/15/17 11:43 AM
G
Greg Murray Offline
G
I agree with Beeson and Cokeley. I wasn't going to post about this because I have a lot of good friends that were involved in this because of their head coach and athletic director. I am not trying to throw this at them in anyway. Back in the early 90's we had an incident that occurred because of home weigh-ins. We requested shoulder to shoulder weigh-ins and checked the scheduled weigh-in time with KSHSAA and this school changed the time twice without notifying us. We showed up very early and surprised them and after several phone calls to KSHSAA they had to come back and weigh-in shoulder to shoulder. Eight of the twelve wrestlers did not make weight (Sad Situation). This was at regional's. Some of these wrestlers were (seniors) no state tournament. The athletic director signed the weigh-in sheet the night before he admitted this. Both the athletic director and the head coach lost their jobs. You would think KSHSAA would have learned a valuable lesson and would work toward making our sport better and fair for all.In this day and age with participation trophies and ribbons you know this goes on.It is sad for the young men and women that are doing it the right way are at an unfair advantage. Shoulder to shoulder weigh-ins is the only way to make it fair. Kids miss school for less reasons than wrestling meets.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244516 02/15/17 11:10 PM
Chase Offline
Since the forums haven't been funny for quiet some time at least we still got people like beeson to stir the pot

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Chase] #244517 02/15/17 11:32 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
I'm just going to reiterate that our STATE freestyle/greco tournament for ALL age groups, uses satellite/(same as home site) weigh ins -- same tournament that qualifies you for them pricey state teams that go galavanting all over the country on hard working kansas wrestling family dimes!

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244518 02/15/17 11:38 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
in case my point gets missed--if a state is gonna let their STATE CHAMPIONSHIP of any style of wrestling be home site weigh ins, what chance are you going to have of getting a REGIONAL tournament changed to be shoulder to shoulder

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244521 02/16/17 01:01 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Considering the high school folkstyle season and the freestyle and greco season are controlled by two different organizations the chances are good.

I think I am missing your point. Home weigh-ins for freestyle and greco are not a problem.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244522 02/16/17 01:16 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
why would it not be a problem for 2 styles (freestyle and greco) of the triple crown of Kansas but they are for the third style (folkstyle)? In all cases the high school age divisions are affected. Logically it should either be a problem for all or none. for accuracy's sake its actually across 3 regulatory bodies when the HS division of the kids state tournament is considered but that begs the question why are home site weigh ins ok for freestyle and greco but NOT ok for folkstyle (high school or kids state)?

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244523 02/16/17 01:20 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Beeson is right. Our rules do need to change. Home weigh-ins need to go away. The second weigh-in needs to be on the second day. Weigh ins for duals need to be shoulder to shoulder and an hour before the dual. The academic excuse is weak. If weight cutting is hurting your grades then move up a weight class. It's that simple. We absolutely should be trying to mimic the way they do things in college to prepare those that want to go on to the next level. Accomadate those guys not the guys that will be done after high school. Everyone wants to leave things as is because they're OK with how our state compares to others. I am not OK with how good we are as a state, neither is Beeson and that is why he pushes for change. It's not a lost cause at all.

Do other states have home site weigh ins for the "less important" styles?

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244524 02/16/17 01:27 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
You're changing your question now. REGIONALS and HIGH SCHOOL STATE are regulated by KSHSAA, so getting regionals to change to shoulder to shoulder weigh-ins for the first weigh-in should not be hard.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but i believe one of the reasons we use the home site weigh-ins for freestyle and greco is to accommodate the kids that have graduation. And you can't let JUST those kids do it, you have to do it for all ages for that particular tournament. It wasn't always like that, but we used to have freestyle and greco state later than we do now.

If someone was using the home-site weigh-ins to cheat to earn a triple crown then that's a moral issue that kid and their parents have. It only makes the accomplishment empty.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244525 02/16/17 01:30 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Originally Posted By: BigBlue6
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Beeson is right. Our rules do need to change. Home weigh-ins need to go away. The second weigh-in needs to be on the second day. Weigh ins for duals need to be shoulder to shoulder and an hour before the dual. The academic excuse is weak. If weight cutting is hurting your grades then move up a weight class. It's that simple. We absolutely should be trying to mimic the way they do things in college to prepare those that want to go on to the next level. Accomodate those guys not the guys that will be done after high school. Everyone wants to leave things as is because they're OK with how our state compares to others. I am not OK with how good we are as a state, neither is Beeson and that is why he pushes for change. It's not a lost cause at all.

Do other states have home site weigh ins for the "less important" styles?

No where in the post that you quoted did I call Freestyle and Greco less important and if you actually know me then you know that I value Freestyle and Greco way more than Folkstyle.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244526 02/16/17 01:30 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
And I am not sure what other states do. I'd have to ask around.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244527 02/16/17 01:34 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
well if they aren't less important then why from a competitive integrity standpoint would home site weigh ins be any more acceptable? (see that whole less important thing was me baiting you as I know you are the state director for those styles--it seems to have worked)

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244528 02/16/17 01:40 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
and graduation, lunar landing, your great aunt's birthday shouldn't have anything to do with it it is a competitive integrity issue in ALL cases: high school regionals, state, kids state qualifying series, kids folkstyle state, or state freestyle greco ALL should be shoulder to shoulder weigh ins as they are ALL the showcase of our state wrestling and should be treated as such

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244529 02/16/17 01:47 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
I'm actually not the state director for those styles but you are close, buddy. Like I said earlier, because of the time of year that we hold Freestyle and Greco state we use SATELLITE weigh-ins (there is a difference to home site weigh-ins) to accommodate for various factors that my father (the actual state director for Freestyle and Greco) or Mike Juby could explain to you. I can't because I don't know what they all are.

My name is Ryne by the way. Thats what the R in my screen name stands for.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244530 02/16/17 01:50 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
I know that number of participants is another reason we do SATELLITE weigh-ins for Freestyle and Greco state. Take away the satellite weigh-ins and well there won't be much of a Freestyle and Greco state tournament to have.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244532 02/16/17 02:03 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
noted Ryne, nice to meet you, and I would agree that those are probably the more important styles honestly, but that also is why they should be given the same treatment as the other STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS from the standpoint of weigh ins. the freestyle/greco championships are a 2 day event with 3-4 opportunities for weigh ins surely all the competitors could make either Friday night, Saturday morning or Saturday night or Sunday morning weigh ins for the older age groups

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244535 02/16/17 02:06 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
also in my experience there isnt much difference between home site or satellite weigh ins in this state once you are beyond the Wichita or KC Metro city limits--so for about 85-90% or the locations its 1-2 clubs of people who all know each other

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244537 02/16/17 02:11 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
last i checked the competitors in the state freestyle/greco championships have to show up in Hutch eventually to you know... wrestle, we can weigh em while they are there

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244538 02/16/17 02:17 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
It's a one day event. You as a wrestler only wrestle on either Saturday or Sunday. Not having a shoulder to shoulder weigh-in for that tournament does not take away the importance of the styles. If you believe someone cheated the satellite weigh-in last year then I suggest you find out where that person weighed-in, who was running the weigh-in, and report them to either Will Cokeley or Mike Juby and they will take care of it.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244539 02/16/17 02:25 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Preseason Nationals
Kickoff Classic at TUlsa
Tulsa Nationals
USJOC
Iowa Folkstyle Nationals
Big Horn
LIberty
Reno
Schoolboy duals
Cadet Duals
Junior Duals
Southern plains regional
Fargo
Everyone weighs in AT THE SITE.....

I'm willing to give our state FS GR tourney a pass on SATELLITE weighins, but not home site. ANd if you weigh in a kid from your club, someone from another club has to be there watching. At least it takes 2 crooks to cheat that way.....

I got a sh*tty text from a guy that was obviously upset that his kid had to run at a satellite weigh in that we did recently. Before he mouthed off, he should have asked his kid about the two Brawlers kids that were also running because they were a few tenths over. HInt: if you want me to "give" you anything at weigh ins, don't come to my weigh in. When a tourney says "no allowance", there is no allowance. Period.

I agree with shoulder to shoulder. "back in the day", we weighed in about an hour before the duals started on Thursdays. And about 2 hours before the tourney started on Saturdays, AT THE TOURNEY SITE. Somehow, we turned out ok, though some may argue that I did not........

Almost forgot!!! Salina Tourney of Champions does weigh ins AT SALINA. Bobby is old school and I like it! Some how, those Nebraska and Missouri kids find a way to attend the tourney and weigh in there. If you offer good competition, kids will show up and meet whatever weigh in procedure you put in place. GIving the State FS GR kids a SATELLITE site would be tolerable for me.......

Last edited by doug747; 02/16/17 02:29 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 123 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)