Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: doug747] #244542 02/16/17 02:47 AM
W
wrestlingspectat Offline
W
If memory serves me correctly there are less than 6 or so states that actually do home site weigh-ins at the high school level. All the rest do shoulder to shoulder and they seem to survive.

There is however a much more important aspect to this that no one has mentioned thus far. Due to our unwillingness to follow the NFHS rules in this regard we do NOT get a vote as a state at the NFHS regarding rule changes and such. In case you missed that we have NO representation with the body that sets our rules and procedures in the sport of wrestling because of home site weigh-ins.

Think about that? Every time you talk about wanting kids to be able to wrestle 6 matches a day, going to college out of bounds rules, and all the other rules you think we should change. There they are in Indianapolis every year talking about this stuff and asking for a show of support, and where is our rep? Sitting there with his hand in his lap because he doesn't get to vote.

Just some food for thought.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: doug747] #244545 02/16/17 02:54 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
WHY ARE SATELLITE WEIGH INS TOLERABLE AT A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP?! you can't satellite wrestle. Is it "well we've always done it that way"? It invites an erosion of competitive integrity. there were 15 satellite sites for that tournament last year--15! how about 1 in KC, 1 in Topeka, 1 in Wichita and 2 out west where it is handiest? Better yet 0 satellites cause we don't have them for folkstyle state. If you can make it to Hutch to wrestle you can make it to weigh in

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244546 02/16/17 03:04 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Originally Posted By: BigBlue6
WHY ARE SATELLITE WEIGH INS TOLERABLE AT A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP?! you can't satellite wrestle. Is it "well we've always done it that way"? It invites an erosion of competitive integrity. there were 15 satellite sites for that tournament last year--15! how about 1 in KC, 1 in Topeka, 1 in Wichita and 2 out west where it is handiest? Better yet 0 satellites cause we don't have them for folkstyle state. If you can make it to Hutch to wrestle you can make it to weigh in

I just told you in a PM they keep the freestyle and greco state tournament alive. Please take your beef with the Freestyle and Greco state tournament over the the Freestyle and Greco part of this forum, so that we can get back to discussing why home-site weigh-ins for the FOLKSTYLE HIGH SCHOOL SEASON are bad for our state.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: wrestlingspectat] #244547 02/16/17 03:05 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Originally Posted By: wrestlingspectat
If memory serves me correctly there are less than 6 or so states that actually do home site weigh-ins at the high school level. All the rest do shoulder to shoulder and they seem to survive.

There is however a much more important aspect to this that no one has mentioned thus far. Due to our unwillingness to follow the NFHS rules in this regard we do NOT get a vote as a state at the NFHS regarding rule changes and such. In case you missed that we have NO representation with the body that sets our rules and procedures in the sport of wrestling because of home site weigh-ins.

Think about that? Every time you talk about wanting kids to be able to wrestle 6 matches a day, going to college out of bounds rules, and all the other rules you think we should change. There they are in Indianapolis every year talking about this stuff and asking for a show of support, and where is our rep? Sitting there with his hand in his lap because he doesn't get to vote.

Just some food for thought.

This guy gets it better than anyone else on here.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244552 02/16/17 01:11 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
Place a scale at each mat. Before a wrestler checks in at the table; both wrestlers must weigh in wearing singlet, head gear and shoes. Make it part of the check in. This will eliminate all cheating and crazy weight cutting.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Hull DWC] #244558 02/16/17 02:08 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
Here is what I get .... that it is a bush league practice to have any portion of your state series at any level for any style use satellite or home site or anything other than shoulder to shoulder weigh ins. Period. To find that our state does this in the face of the exclusion of Kansas having a voice in the NFHS is disappointing to say the least. Furthermore, I am of the mind that the fact that Kansas uses satellite weigh ins for the state freestyle/greco CHAMPIONSHIP is directly related to this regional home site folkstyle issue in the sense that there are apparently a whole lot of folks involved in KS wrestling decision making, on many levels, who simply don't get WHY satellite or home site weigh ins ARE A BUSH LEAGUE PRACTICE, or maybe they do get it and that's why KS has them? You can't go around tooting the horn of KS wrestling and how we deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with states like Oklahoma, Iowa or Pennsylvania when comparisons with any of the above becomes an apples to oranges proposition because Kansas does any number of things bass ackwards from the comparison state.

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244581 02/16/17 05:30 PM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Here is what I get .... that it is a bush league practice to have any portion of your state series at any level for any style use satellite or home site or anything other than shoulder to shoulder weigh ins. Period.

For the last time we use satellite weigh-ins to help increase our number of participants. Without the satellite weigh-ins there may not even be a Freestyle and Greco State tournament. You've had a bad experience with them and now you want them to go away, and that is understandable. However there are simple solutions to fix the cheating problem. We discussed one in PM and Doug Eck (smartest man alive if you ask me) came up with one that can work as well.

To find that our state does this in the face of the exclusion of Kansas having a voice in the NFHS is disappointing to say the least. Furthermore, I am of the mind that the fact that Kansas uses satellite weigh ins for the state freestyle/greco CHAMPIONSHIP is directly related to this regional home site folkstyle issue in the sense that there are apparently a whole lot of folks involved in KS wrestling decision making, on many levels, who simply don't get WHY satellite or home site weigh ins ARE A BUSH LEAGUE PRACTICE, or maybe they do get it and that's why KS has them?

THE FACT THAT WE HAVE SATELLITE WEIGH-INS FOR FREESTYLE AND GRECO STATE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHY HIGH SCHOOL REGIONALS USES HOME-SITE WEIGH-INS FOR THE THE FIRST WEIGH-IN. Freestyle and Greco is regulated by USAWKS while the High School Folkstyle season is regulated by KSHSAA. Two totally separate entities. It is not the fault of USAWKS that we don't get a vote at the NFHS, it is KSHSAA's. In fact if it we had the same guy who runs USAWKS, Mike Juby our State Chairmen, running KSHSAA then we would probably be getting to vote at the NFHS. THERE IS NOTHING MIKE JUBY DOES THAT IS BUSH LEAGUE. Every single decision he makes is for the betterment of Kansas Wrestling, and I am not the only one who believes that. Anyone who has worked with Mr.Juby can relate this.

You can't go around tooting the horn of KS wrestling and how we deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with states like Oklahoma, Iowa or Pennsylvania when comparisons with any of the above becomes an apples to oranges proposition because Kansas does any number of things bass ackwards from the comparison state.

Its a numbers game. Go look at the number of participants we have for the USAWKS State Tournament and then go look at the number of participants at our Freestyle and Greco State Tournament. We simply do not have the same numbers for the summer styles that the states like Oklahoma, Iowa, PA, Illinois, or even Missouri has. Why are the numbers so low? Some kids want to focus on other sports during the summer time. Some kids simply want the summer off to relax and have fun. There are other factors as well but I don't need to go over all of them. And if you think we are not doing enough to get those numbers up you are DEAD WRONG. The list of people that dedicate their summers to grow the summer styles is way too long for me to type out. There are opportunities like trips to Okie State to wrestle in their room and learn from the greatest freestyle technician of our time, camps with Greco Olympians, trips to Akron, OH to compete AND watch some of the best college wrestlers wrestlers battle to make a University World Team, trips to California to wrestle foreigners in Greco, and trips to Las Vegas to compete AND watch the US Open. These are just A FEW of the opportunities that we present to the kids that want to get better over the summer. But we still find our selves struggling to get our participation numbers up every summer. We even have FREE practices once a weak around the state for kids to go to.

This will be the last time I respond to you on this matter Mr.Bluel and if you are still struggling to understand why we do things in the summer the way we do them then I suggest you talk to your son's future high school Coach. Hopefully he can talk some sense into you.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: rccokeley] #244586 02/16/17 07:15 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
the numbers speak for themselves as to whether we are doing enough, if they are down, we are not. The people who need sense talked into them are the people who, in the face of falling numbers, will tell a forum of readers that we as a state are doing all of the right things we can do. This is precisely what is wrong with this state in terms of wrestling governance right now. We can't do anything different because then it won't be the same is ignorance. Satellite/home site weigh ins ARE bush league which is why the non bush league states that surround us don't use them in ANY or their championship series. We would do well to follow their example in this and many other things. Just because you say something isn't so doesn't make it not so grasshopper.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: BigBlue6] #244587 02/16/17 07:35 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Doug Eck (smartest man alive if you ask me)

Now you are just talking crazy....lol

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Teamroper] #244609 02/17/17 02:01 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I didn't think Ryne drank either........maybe he is hitting the sauce a bit.

Let me ask this.....perhaps we should try on site weighins for FS GR state. If our numbers magically increase, we've solved the problem. Maybe everyone is just sitting at home, and won't participate in our FS GR state until they KNOW everyone made weight honestly. I'm with some of you who are skeptical about whether kids actually make weight or not at home site, or even some satellite, weigh ins. I just figure since it is only kids' wrestling, it won't kill my kid to wrestle a dishonest kid, and it will give him an opportunity for me to not allow him to use "he was huge" as an excuse. I also understand that there are some kids out there that are really good at cutting weight. MOre power to them. There are lots of ways this sport teaches us life lessons, and the discipline of making weight is one of them. So if you are cutting, and making weight honestly, i tip my hat to you. You are mentally tough. If you ask people to fudge for you, or flat out don't weigh in at all, then i believe you will also be dishonest when you get into the real world, and you are going to have a rough go of it in real life.

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: doug747] #244610 02/17/17 02:04 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Doug Eck might not be the smartest man alive, but Tracy is a fart smeller, i mean smart feller..........

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: doug747] #244611 02/17/17 02:23 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Just goes to show I don't know very many smart people after all, right Doug? Lol

Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: doug747] #244612 02/17/17 02:52 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: doug747
Doug Eck might not be the smartest man alive, but Tracy is a fart smeller, i mean smart feller..........

Especially when I'm at a Brawlers open room.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Weigh ins for State and Regionals [Re: Teamroper] #244723 02/21/17 03:01 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
It's not only kids wrestling, it is through the high school age divisions

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 141 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)